the return of arteta

Status
Not open for further replies.

uknightbreed

Player Valuation: £35m
ok , so arteta is back in the team for boxing day.
i was wondering where everyone thinks he should play and who should make way for him ?

ive said a few times this season that we are stronger in the middle and weaker out wide so moving him to the flanks would be my choice.

arteta fellaini rodwell pienaar
................cahill

but this would mean dropping coleman.

another option would be for him to move into cm , with rodwell dropping to the bench or perhaps into defence if jags isnt fit.

coleman fellaini arteta pienaar
..................cahill

or perhaps arteta could move into cm and fellaini could play upfront with cahill.(we have done this a few times in the last 12 months)

coleman rodwell arteta pienaar
..................fellaini
...................cahill

so who would you drop and where would you put arteta ?

Start him on the bench.

I still think he's utterly hopeless anywhere but either flank.

Last edited:

He should be on the bench. It'll be a blow to any midfielder involved in the City triumph to be left out. I have a sneeking suspicion, though, he'll drop Coleman to put him in on the right.

Start him on the bench. I'd be a hypocrite if I moaned at Moyes for picking an out of form Saha every time, over more in form players, if I didn't apply the same criteria to Arteta. He needs to earn his place.

I'd have a midfield of:
Coleman Osman Fellaini Pienaar

If Jags is injured play him alongside Distin as he's almost been playing next to them all season (attempted joke). Should be on bench but I can't see Moyes doing that. I fear it could be the start of another benchwarming stint for Rodwell unfortunately.

Let's be honest it's only going to have one outcome, Arteta in the centre, Rodwell on the bench and Hibbo as CB, unless Jags isn't injured.

Moyes seems to let the regular boys that are down on form but high on skill play out their poor form, which is the right thing to do. It's not like Arteta will be the only one on the pitch, there's 10 other blues that should be able to pick up the 10/20 percent performance drop from poor form. It's the same case with Saha, Moyes plays him because the system we use, we should have 4-5 goal threats coming from the midfield and not just the lone striker pulling in a 30 goal year. Once our midfielders start netting and our set pieces start to actually work our season will get back on track.

I'd start him in the middle, alongside Fellaini. This will be a completely different game to the Man City one and we'll need to be much more composed and creative in possession. Rodwell has done fine, but he drifts in and out of games, and whilst his ability is obvious, he still has a tendency to play within himself. I just don't think he's ready to take on such a demanding role, week in week out. He'll get there, eventually, but he's only 19. That being said, I wouldn't be against seeing him behind the striker or even in a wide position, if needed.

Even on an average day Arteta improves the teams football, and helps us move the ball better than any of our other midfielders. Those stats tells us all we need to know really, 100 more passes than any other player, 87 % pass completition. That's quite impressive really, and shows the composure he has, nowhere near his best level. We will need to retain the ball as much as possible really, especially with Birmingham likely to target Hibbert at every oppurtunity.

Short memories - he hasn't been at his best this season lads, BUT.....

There is NOBODY better than Mikel Arteta

Personally, Arteta has to return, play him centre mid, push Rodwell in the Cahill role and play Cahill as lone striker

start him on the wing, slide coleman back. i think we're gonna have to put neville in as a cb, with jags out. if johnny cant return its gonna be bad. but neville could do it.

once a real cb comes back just drop whoever played the worst.

start him on the wing, slide coleman back. i think we're gonna have to put neville in as a cb, with jags out. if johnny cant return its gonna be bad. but neville could do it.

once a real cb comes back just drop whoever played the worst.

I fully agree with this. Arteta is good at buying time (or winning free kicks) when on the ball which should give Coleman ample time to wind up his marauding runs. In addition, Tet has experience playing on the right so perhaps a move there might see him rekindle some top form.

Start him on the bench. I'd be a hypocrite if I moaned at Moyes for picking an out of form Saha every time, over more in form players, if I didn't apply the same criteria to Arteta. He needs to earn his place.

I'd have a midfield of:
Coleman Osman Fellaini Pienaar

I would have that midfield also. Arteta needs to earn his place, he's really offering us nothing but ball retention at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.