The Referee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely loved him walking over to the VAR, looking at it once and muttering 'it's a penalty'. Spot on decision too, well played referee.
Curious if he would have change his mind with 50000 supporters screaming in his ear. I guess with the fact that we do not have fans in the stadium really helps referees in general to make better decisions...let's hope that continues even with the return of the fans

Ref was spot on tonight , didn’t take any crap off them and while the pen was debatable we never usually get them especially at anfield. He seen through Sarah’s diving, best i seen in a derby in a good while

He had a tough game handling penalty shouts and plenty of diving.

I know this won't be popular to say, but I don't understand how we got that penalty. I've read people have mentioned that intent is taken out of decisions now, but even then, DCL was already on his way over. Wasn't clear cut at all from my point of view.

Feck them though. We've been unquestionably shafted dozens of times so we're owed something.
I've heard people say that a few times when players have been fouled, but in my eyes it doesn't actually make any difference.

To make an extreme example, say 2 players are challenging for the ball both on their feet, the attacker loses his balance and starts to fall over, at this point not a foul, but then another defender comes along and kicks him in the head as he is on his way down. Would that not be a foul because he was already on his way down?

Course it would, and you can still be tripped even if you are already falling over anyway. I can see how people might think its a bit of a soft foul but the law doesn't make any allowance for it.

I've heard people say that a few times when players have been fouled, but in my eyes it doesn't actually make any difference.

To make an extreme example, say 2 players are challenging for the ball both on their feet, the attacker loses his balance and starts to fall over, at this point not a foul, but then another defender comes along and kicks him in the head as he is on his way down. Would that not be a foul because he was already on his way down?

Course it would, and you can still be tripped even if you are already falling over anyway. I can see how people might think its a bit of a soft foul but the law doesn't make any allowance for it.

You're completely right. I thought of that after I posted it. Doesn't really make a difference what you're doing if you get fouled. Could be picking your nose or tying your shoelaces. Foul is a foul.

Ref had a good game...

Too many times refs give in or are swayed by decisions at Anfield by players,managers or the crowd...

You're completely right. I thought of that after I posted it. Doesn't really make a difference what you're doing if you get fouled. Could be picking your nose or tying your shoelaces. Foul is a foul.

I think if it's a clear dive from a player (looks at Mane and Salah) and then when they're on their way down get fouled it might be viewed differently.

took a lot of bottle to back himself on the penalty, not many refs in the league would have the minerals. fair play lad, should have been a red like but we won’t push it

Unfortunately, I only managed to watch the game form about 50 minutes onwards but thought the Ref did really well from what I saw. He stood firm and never allowed himself to be bullied or conned by Liverpool into giving them their usual dodgy decisions. The icing on the cake for me was when he gave that lot a slight glimmer of hope by checking the Pitchside Monitor, then pretty much straight away went "Nah, I was right, it's a pen". As for the decision itself, I felt it was a penalty. The defender slides in and his leg goes down once the shot is made, but then he raises his leg again, with no chance of getting to the ball, and trips Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Let them away with too much but showed balls the size of planets to back himself over that penalty call. Was absolutely the right decision.

Expect he'll have to hire private security in the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.