The press

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyblue80

Player Valuation: £70m
I've noticed a trend, teams that press us high up at home have had success. It dates back to the Southampton game last season who pressed us relentlessly. Since then Leeds, West Ham, Leicester and Newcastle have all pressed us and had success. There seems to be an issue we have breaking the press. We need more players who can play in tight spaces and can beat players. We also need more pace across the team. Sig in central midfield does not help he is a void who can't get around the pitch.

A French one is the best way of making coffee.

But yeah - I've noticed the same - struggling at home against mediocre teams who play a predictable tactic. Surprised Carlo hasn't found a solution yet.

I've noticed a trend, teams that press us high up at home have had success. It dates back to the Southampton game last season who pressed us relentlessly. Since then Leeds, West Ham, Leicester and Newcastle have all pressed us and had success. There seems to be an issue we have breaking the press. We need more players who can play in tight spaces and can beat players. We also need more pace across the team. Sig in central midfield does not help he is a void who can't get around the pitch.
We never lose a game when playing 4 cb. Godfrey and Holgate can cover the lack of speed of our cb pairing.

I think it’s consistency we are lacking, we have demonstrated numerous times we have (or had) the ability to break and counter. There was even one or two passages yesterday (and vs Leicester) were I thought that’s more like it, but they ultimately broke down with a bad pass in the final 3rd to surrender possession again. I do think we a just suffering from too many key players being off form (Richarlison particularly) and an absence of options on the bench.
begining of the season proved when we are good we can be very good. Something just isn’t working atm and these a paucity of quality on the bench to do anything about it, or leaders on the pitch to change up the gears when required.

We never lose a game when playing 4 cb. Godfrey and Holgate can cover the lack of speed of our cb pairing.

We lost against WHU where only Holgate was missing against Coleman.

Playing a flat 4 is fine but it leaves us with very little attacking play.

For me we should be going 352 going forward and have 3 CB's with Digne + Iwobi wingbacks bombing forware and Richy next to DCL both as strikers.

Maybe it's time we try Holgate or Godfrey at cb again as it will allow us to push up I believe Keane and Mina are good in a low block but when we try and push up they are exposed.

Without Allen who can get turned and beat a press our midfield is nonexistent and they all hide from the ball. Swear Mina and Keane play more forward passes between the lines than our midfielders do.

as for iceberg, for someone that’s supposed to be able to pass he really can’t pass for [Poor language removed] unless it’s a slow 5 yard sideways or backwards pass, coward

We can’t handle the press sadly. Just said in another thread we don’t have the players in the middle capable of moving the ball around quickly enough or able to turn defending into attack when needed. We have been sussed out.
Yeah that's true we need more composure, pace and aggression centrally and right through the spine of the team, also we lack players who can beat a man. Richarlison is one of the few who can but he is woefully off form and Iwobi is still coming back from an injury. Then you are left with James who has lumps kicked out of him like yesterday.

We lost against WHU where only Holgate was missing against Coleman.

Playing a flat 4 is fine but it leaves us with very little attacking play.

For me we should be going 352 going forward and have 3 CB's with Digne + Iwobi wingbacks bombing forware and Richy next to DCL both as strikers.
Then that was not the 4 cb defence. Holgate, Mina, Keane, Godfrey - we get wins and draws.

Were playing with 2 attacking fullbacks yesterday we scored zero goal so it won’t matter if we play a flat 4. It’s only about the right balance.

352 won’t work. Newcastle away Leeds at home we don’t have players to play that formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.