The Premier League Show - Tonight BBC2 10pm - Gary Lineker interviews Ronald Koeman

Status
Not open for further replies.
When asked by Lineker why he left Southamptom he reiterated it wasn't for the doubling of his wages.
It was because he believed in the Moshiri project. Nah, he's too honest for that spin. He actually said, "the main reason was that we did not get agreement about my last year of contract."

He wanted to go into the season with less than year left on his deal and see how things went, he did this at several of his previous clubs like Feyernood and Benfica but Southampton were having none of it and you can't blame them really. In this league you can't allow a manager the chance to just up and leave at the drop of a hat without any compensation.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2016/11/16/koemans-wants-toffees-in-europe

Koeman Targets Europe With Everton
by Rob Urbani @Everton16 November 2016 22:30

Ronald Koeman has told Gary Lineker of his driving ambition to push Everton towards Champions League football.

The Blues boss, in an exclusive interview that aired on BBC’s Premier League Show on Wednesday evening, spoke about his plan of progress with the Football Club over the next three years.

Koeman explained to the former Everton and England striker that one of his first aims is to try and bring European football back to Goodison Park, with a long-term vision of achieving qualification for the continent’s elite competition.

x_oZkaoRLwbEMByu.jpg

Follow
Everton

✔@Everton

1f3a5.png
| More from @RonaldKoeman's interview with @GaryLineker as the Blues boss talks about making the transition from player to manager.

9:25 AM - 17 Nov 2016

“This season Everton will fight for European football,” Koeman declared. “But to finish above the big teams in the Premier League will be difficult.

“For next season we need to improve and we will get new signings in which will make the team stronger. The third year, we need to be close to playing in the Champions League.”

Asked by Lineker, who famously scored 40 goals for the Toffees in 1985/86, what would represent success at the conclusion of this season, Koeman added: “If we qualify for Europe. Also it’s how the team is playing and playing as a team. It’s all about we win and we get a high position. We want to reach that.”

Koeman also spoke openly about how he made the transition from player to coach in the 1990s and his style of management - watch him speak about these topics in the videos above.

TfoZxjX60vV-g6oy.jpg

Follow
Everton

✔@Everton

1f3a5.png
| How does @RonaldKoeman describe himself as a manager? And does he ever get angry? #EFC

9:30 AM - 17 Nov 2016

Can't believe he said he only works 3 days a week.
He only gets paid £6m per year mate....and he's got his golf lessons on
People absolutely gutted he didn't say anything really horrendous.

Fantastic stuff.

It's fantastic that the manager of this club didn't say anything horrendous.

This is what it's come to.

Call me old fashioned, but I expect non-horrendous comments as a matter of course.

When asked by Lineker why he left Southampton he reiterated it wasn't for the doubling of his wages.
It was because he believed in the Moshiri project. Nah, he's too honest for that spin. He actually said, "the main reason was that we did not get agreement about my last year of contract."

That was a perfect chance to say because Everton is a massive club, one of the biggest in world football, with huge support* and he was excited to go to the next level where he can compete for trophies. But no he actually got all misty eyed about Southampton instead.

In one way it's refreshing the honesty of the man, in another way it's annoying that he continues to shoot himself in the foot.

As with everything Koeman so far, the interview was OK, nothing to jump on his back but nothing special to really get emotionally invested in him.

Will I care if pragmatism and an icy demeanour brings silverware to Goodison? not one jot...but he has to deliver unlike Moyes and Martinez, they could have finished best of the rest and be given a large amount of slack for that. Obviously I'm not saying he has to do it this season but I feel he needs to have either picked up a trophy or got a CL finish else he will be little more than a footnote in our history, an up to date Walter Smith if you will.

*to be fair he did say something similar in a roundabout way but nothing in one go that makes you think he's 'our' Ron.

It's pretty sad how badly so many here want things sugar coated and spoon fed to you. He's dutch, he's played at the highest levels, and you expect him to tell you all that Everton is tops and he bleeds blue? The man is here to do a job. Fact is, most of the folks at the club do not love it as much as supporters who grew up with it. Did we hire a football manager or a PR man?

Status
Not open for further replies.