The point of no return

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I you feel you are repeating yourself with a response it suggests this stuff is being discussed on lots of other threads. I think this is a phase other clubs have gone through before reaching stability and a measure of success, including the Reds, Spurs and Man City. It’s mostly about finding the right manager/DoF combination.
I think the point he is trying to make is that no one expected Stoke or WBA to go down this season. An eighth place finish is just top of the rabble and with a bit of added misfortune could be 13th or even 19th. It should be inconceivable that Everton go down but given (1) The strength of the squad and (2) The nature of the current PL; 6+14 it is not so inconceivable as it should be.
Oh.....and you can't have Roy....I know you want him really, but you can't.

I think the point he is trying to make is that no one expected Stoke or WBA to go down this season. An eighth place finish is just top of the rabble and with a bit of added misfortune could be 13th or even 19th. It should be inconceivable that Everton go down but given (1) The strength of the squad and (2) The nature of the current PL; 6+14 it is not so inconceivable as it should be.
Oh.....and you can't have Roy....I know you want him really, but you can't.

..there’s no doubt any club in our position (or Palace’s) can afford to be complacent, clearly that’s the reason Allardyce and Hodgson we’re appointed. Ultimately, though, some clubs will be content with survival. I’m not being arrogant when I say I believe Everton’s ambition with the new ground build is to be in the group fighting for Champions League qualification. To enable that we will need a manager/DoF combination capable of making that happen.

...I you feel you are repeating yourself with a response it suggests this stuff is being discussed on lots of other threads. I think this is a phase other clubs have gone through before reaching stability and a measure of success, including the Reds, Spurs and Man City. It’s mostly about finding the right manager/DoF combination.

Indeed.

People keep mentioning Spurs but it is less than a decade ago they were sitting rock bottom of the league and turned to one Harold Redknapp esq. to save them :blush:

And even then, Steve Sherwood was their boss a few years later.

Regarding EFC, I look around and think things aren't so bad....They are just more wrong than right.

I mean, even during this horrendous season we have been in the top half for just about most of it and are finishing comfortably 8th.

IMO it would take mismanagement on a monumental scale to see us actually relegated.

Though if we keep Sam I think that managerial Armageddon might be at hand :(

For all we are depressed right now, we are but a couple of clever decisions or appointments from getting the Moshiri project up and running in earnest.

Anyway....are you heading to Chester at all this week.

The point of no return? Nah... We might as well pack it all in if that was the case.

Don't get me wrong, we are a mess right now, through from boardroom level right through, but we are only a reshuffle or 7 away from back to dining at the big table. Football is a fickle game and can "sometimes" change overnight.

As Royalblue66 alluded to though, I dont think this will be a quick fix but my blind optimism thinks (hopes) this will all change for the better... one day...

On the minus side, we're not as attractive to playrs now as we were a year ago. The football is unbearably dull and the club is clearly split, on and off the field. Many of our better players are approaching the end of their careers.

On the plus side, a competent manager and a good transfer strategy shouldn't be beyond our reach.

No.

Historically they are clubs who have dipped in and out of leagues. West Brom were always looking over their shoulders and aside a bit of late season spark have lacked investment and quality for years. That's not just me saying that, I've got friends who are West Brom die hards.

Stoke really did not expect to stay in the Prem as long they have. Again, I know a few season ticket holders, and the feeling is they lost two unheralded experienced players with nous and bottle (Whelan and Walters). Big losses in the dressing room. Plus Hughes brought in some poor buys / loans without properly addressing lack of striking options. Berahino and Wimmer in particular were disasters. They aren't surprised.

I'd be worried if we spend unwisely this summer though, especially on our defence.

West Brom and Stoke have both made terrible managerial decisions this year. To sack Pulis and hire Pardew was an awful decision his record is terrible, an then they kept him far to long.
Stoke kept Hughes far to long.
Both teams have brought really badly as well.

We have a very good squad which is better then both of WBA and Stoke. We are along way from being relegated, look at our last 3 home games, we have 2 shots on targets and got 5 points, we have quality in our squad and team

Indeed.

People keep mentioning Spurs but it is less than a decade ago they were sitting rock bottom of the league and turned to one Harold Redknapp esq. to save them :blush:

And even then, Steve Sherwood was their boss a few years later.

Regarding EFC, I look around and think things aren't so bad....They are just more wrong than right.

I mean, even during this horrendous season we have been in the top half for just about most of it and are finishing comfortably 8th.

IMO it would take mismanagement on a monumental scale to see us actually relegated.

Though if we keep Sam I think that managerial Armageddon might be at hand :(

For all we are depressed right now, we are but a couple of clever decisions or appointments from getting the Moshiri project up and running in earnest.

Anyway....are you heading to Chester at all this week.

This.

There is a window of opportunity this summer. If we bring the right DoF and manager in we have a great chance to turn this ariund very quuckly. We already have some of the very best young players aroubd as squad fillers. We need maybe 5 quality starters to bring in.

It wont be easy but it can be done. We won't have Europe to juggle with next season either.

Barnfred 55, Today at 9:13 AM Report
#15 Unlike + Quote Reply

Spot on IMO

After the mire we have been in , with majority of our performances this season being relegation material

I watched the Swansea v Southampton game and thought phew we dodged a bullet this season , I brightened up that we are not in the fight at the bottom , we are finishing 8th thats not too a bad result after 3 managers , a demotivated , dysfunctional squad

as highlighted if we can do this we should be fine

200w.gif

It's very exciting being on the edge of being involved in a more serious relegation battle and on the edge of the more serious chalenge for European places. :celebrate::hayee:

West Brom and Stoke have both made terrible managerial decisions this year. To sack Pulis and hire Pardew was an awful decision his record is terrible, an then they kept him far to long.
Stoke kept Hughes far to long.
Both teams have brought really badly as well.

We have a very good squad which is better then both of WBA and Stoke. We are along way from being relegated, look at our last 3 home games, we have 2 shots on targets and got 5 points, we have quality in our squad and team

I am not convinced we do have a very good squad.

The balance is awful, too many players with the same skill sets and most of which have awful flaws that they repeat time and time again.

Most of them are talented don't get me wrong but we need loads more diversity in the squad instead of having loads of like for like replacements.

Also players who move would be nice.

This.

There is a window of opportunity this summer. If we bring the right DoF and manager in we have a great chance to turn this ariund very quuckly. We already have some of the very best young players aroubd as squad fillers. We need maybe 5 quality starters to bring in.

It wont be easy but it can be done. We won't have Europe to juggle with next season either.

Barnfred 55, Today at 9:13 AM Report
#15 Unlike + Quote Reply

Spot on IMO

After the mire we have been in , with majority of our performances this season being relegation material

I watched the Swansea v Southampton game and thought phew we dodged a bullet this season , I brightened up that we are not in the fight at the bottom , we are finishing 8th thats not too a bad result after 3 managers , a demotivated , dysfunctional squad

as highlighted if we can do this we should be fine

If you'll forgive a rather unfortunate political analogy here, we're in the position of the Conservative Party just under a year ago - an utterly inept campaign, an uninspiring team, a hopeless, clueless leader clearly out of touch with the support at large, but they still won, and we'll finish (on paper, at least) as comfortably in the top half of the table!

:eek::eek::eek::Blink::dodgy:

Status
Not open for further replies.