The Kanchelskis transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

longers

Parcheggia l'autobus
At the time I was in my early teens and didn’t really question why one of the best players in the league left United to join us given we were pretty rubbish back then. Now I’m older I often think back to what a bizarre transfer it was. Why did he leave United ? Why Everton and why did no one else try and sign him ?

At the time I was in my early teens and didn’t really question why one of the best players in the league left United to join us given we were pretty rubbish back then. Now I’m older I often think back to what a bizarre transfer it was. Why did he leave United ? Why Everton and why did no one else try and sign him ?
No idea how we pulled that off.

Definitely one the best players in his position in the world at the time.

Looking back the whole thing was odd.

Edit: I'm eternally grateful that that transfer happened in the very early days of the internet and hardly anybody used it.

The bedwetting over the delays getting it done would have been more catastrophic than the melting ice cap.

Last edited:
After he left I used to deliver fuel to his house over in Moddershall near Manchester Airport

Everyone from his gardener to his cleaner loved him and his family

His problem was gambling and the people that attracted to his house and area allegedly

Everton were advised of this when signing him by plenty involved with Manchester utd

The story goes that Kanchelskis was involved with the Russian Mafia who had send Alex Ferguson threats if he wasn't sold. We'd also just won the Fa Cup and we were progressing under Royle. The same summer we matched Liverpools offer for Collymore

I was on holiday in St Ives with the fam as a 15yr old..

Woke up early every morning to run to the paper shop to see if he'd signed yet.

Still can't believe it now.

What an absolute joy to watch he was that season.

Had a season ticket so was properly spoiled and went to Sheff Wed away which was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen. Everyone doing the Russian dance with arms crossed in the stands.

From what I can remember Middlesborough had tried to sign him too but he'd turned them down but on the Sunday I remember buying the News of the World and it had a picture of Andre in a half Everton /Man u shirt the fee had been agreed but the agent wanted £500 000 so the transfer was delayed, I think in the end we paid it

I'm his first season what a joy to watch he was

I’m the same. I was very early teens and I think I just assumed there was something “wrong” with him for him to leave them and join us, be it poor form, attitude, etc. Obviously there are rumours regarding stuff in his personal life which helps explain matters a bit more.

I just remember being blown away by how much one player dragged us up levels by himself. Absolutely loved the guy. Favourite player of all time.

Ferguson wanted to refresh the squad and knew he had Beckham in the background. Moved on Ince and Hughes as well.

He was really pissed off at Ince by then. IIRC, Hughes had huge tax problems from his time abroad, and Kanchelskis as is often rumoured, was heavily involved in some bad folk. Fergie was happy to see the back of him and Ince, but less so Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.