The Journos getting worried about Everton challenging the Top 4 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The floccinaucinihilipilification demonstrated by mainstream media hacks toward anything 'Everton' is merely a symptom of their misoneism. Quietly ignore it and let's do OUR talking on the football pitch.

Hahaha. You defo google these words before you post them.

EDIT: I enjoy them. Keep it up!

Last edited:
Seems to me we've actually had one of the harder first half schedules compared to a lot of other teams. We've already done Man City, Man Utd, and Arsenal away, and Chelsea, Tottenham, and the RS at home. And we got 9 points from the whole lot.

Seeing us without McCarthy during the mostly sluggish game vs Fulham is what really concerns me this season. We're one McCarthy or Barry injury away from being a much less fluid and competitive slide. Hope this gets fixed in January.

Also, some American outlets are taking notice in a positive way. Everton are 4th on NBC Sports Premier League power rankings that they do.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...flying-manchester-united-nosedive-week-14-15/

It's weird that they do power rankings when there is a table...

You know if the results go the right way, Everton could finish top of the table by the mid-point of the season. Considering, Arsenal plays Chelsea, Man City plays Liverpool.... Everton can finish at the half way mark in the top 4 at least if they win both their next games.

Looking forward to seeing some journos get nervous!

Say what they like, we'll do our talking on the pitch.

We may well capitulate in the second half of the season, but i highly doubt it. I'd say 80% of Everton fans remain grounded at the moment, we know we probably don't have the depth to get into the top 4, but that said, we have the spirit, and our fondness only needs to go back 10 years, and then realise it is possible.

But every game is a cup final, as cliché as that seems. There are going to be games were we are depleted (City & Chelsea), and tricky games against big teams (Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Spurs), so we need to make sure that we're picking up points at home. There are winnable away games, and as everyone has said 72pts, is what is needed for top 4. Certainly we've pinpointed this run of fixtures, and March as the 'Key' rounds, which for me are winnable if we approach them all correctly.

But again, as i said, i'm very grounded, i said at the start of the season we'd be looking to stabilise and make a transition into what Bobby wanted us to be, 6 months on, we're doing better than anyone expected, and we're enjoying our football for the first time in 6-7 years. So long may it continue, and llet the journo's say what they like.. 'We're Everton, Aren't We?'

Hiding to nothing for us...unlike the rest of the teams mentioned, neither our players or fans expect to get in the top 4.
That makes us a dangerous opponent, absolutely nothing to lose..but everything to gain.
Journalists can say what they like but our current form is CL form, against 'everyone' in the league. Simply keep it up and we upset the applecart, which would be marvelous:)

lol...will do mate. Sesquipedalianism (using big words) is how I roll

Take it you've never read the Orwell essay 'Politics and The English Language' then?

Here's Orwell's take on such use of language:

Never use a long word where a short one will do.

Long words don’t make you sound intelligent unless used skilfully. In the wrong situation they’ll have the opposite effect, making you sound pretentious and arrogant. They’re also less likely to be understood and more awkward to read.

Also:

When Hemingway was criticized by Faulkner for his limited word choice he replied:

Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.

Just saying like. :p

Take it you've never read the Orwell essay 'Politics and The English Language' then?

Here's Orwell's take on such use of language:

Also:

Just saying like. :p

...sheesh mate, I was only being light hearted. Sorry that your sensibilities were injured. Merry Christmas xx

That was a ridiculously one-eyed article which relied on little more than prejudice and conjecture. I'd have actually had a bit more respect for that so-called journo if he'd praised us as 'plucky' / 'punching above our weight' tbh. I know it is patronising nonsense, but FFS we played some lovely stuff at the Emirates and our entire first eleven combined probably cost less than Ozil alone!!

So I am done with this 'under the radar' bollux as far as the media is concerned. It doesn't do us any favours because any manager facing us is going to know his onions anyway. WE should be given PROPER credit for playing some of the sexiest football in the league on a budget which would see most of the favoured teams scrabbling around the relegation zone. We are one of the longest serving, best-run, most-respected and decorated clubs in England, so why the hell not?

I fell in love with EFC in the 80's and saw some of the most sublime footy of my life. If this current team is on the road to emulating the boss side of 83-87 then we SHOULD be attracting young fans on that basis. But we can only do that if the meeja stop belittling, sidelining and underestimating us. In summary: I'm fed up of us being written off as unfashionable when we are a GREAT club playing some GREAT footy this season.

<End of rant>

What an ignoramus.

Must have heard that clicHe on talkSPORT.

Oh dear, you sound like someone from the Hampstead mafia sunshine, Harriet Harperson perhaps?
As for Talksport, I haven't given it the time of day since Parry & Graham were sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.