The impending forward crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really surprising that Dyche has had 1 game and chose a PL forward in Maupay over an inexperienced Simms ?

Not sure if a whole derby game is fair on the young man to be honest - maybe some minutes at the end.

Perhaps they need more time with Simms and adapt our play accordingly - I don't think he would be able to lead the line like DCL did (even though his finishing was poor, he lead the line well).

Transfer window was a disaster but we all know that.

There’s an u21/23 game Wednesday night against Dinamo Zagreb in the Premier League International Cup, we’re virtually through to the next round as group leaders so we should play Simms in a 442 formation , he’s allowed as an u23 , plus any others Dyche wants to see in action. Simms is not good enough, yet, to lead our line from the start , but this is an opportunity for Dyche to give him specific instructions on what he would like to see from him and then see if he can deliver, albeit at a lower level. Simms biggest weakness for a man his size is his heading ability , but that’s not an issue , just stick him on the penalty spot and ping the corners to the far post for Tarks/ Cody/Onana.

….the club have truly made a rod for their own back. We all know how fragile Dominic Calvert-Lewin is, yet Thelwell has failed to bring in an effective back-up striker for two windows. It’s incompetence, it’s gross negligence and it genuinely could send us down.
I can’t see Maupay leading the line. Forget the ‘he‘s not a lone striker’ shouts, he’s a forward and forwards have the basic back to goal technique to do a job. Maupay doesn’t have that skill set, he’s also slow and unable to run the channels or threaten with balls played behind the back four.
There’s a reluctance to play Simms. I agree he lacks quality but he has the physicality to occupy CBs and he comes alive when the ball is played beyond defenders or is in the box. Not great in the air but he gets his head on the ball because of his size. He’s also a goal threat.
in the system we play it would be Simms for me, but whoever it is it’s unlikely to be good enough. Dreadful state we are in.

And some people question the fan’s protests against this shower of incompetent fools trying to run a football club.
My objection to the fan protests was that they didn't focus on this EXACT issue: the lack of transfer activity and the need to get players in and a manager out.

How many bookings does Maupay have now?

Given his sole intention coming on at the weekend was to wind up the Arsenal backline I worry there might be one game when he gets suckered in and gets a straight red so can see him being banned for a few games near end of the season.

DCL will have to play through some knocks I think as doubt Dyche will put up with him pulling out of games late on.

Not much he can do about what he has inherited. Options are very thin at CF now but think all he'll do is give Simms a few starts, tell him to do the basics and it's then up to the more experienced prem players to run onto the flick ons and try to score.

Unless this team is perfect defensively for next few months I still struggle to see the team scoring enough goals. Going 1-0 down under Dyche will be interesting whenever that happens at Goodison, see if it's much different to under Lampard.

Play Keane up front as target man. For those with short memories he started the goalscoring comeback which sank Palace in "that game". Those of us with longer memories recall Mick Lyons with affection. He made the switch very effectively and was not known for his skill set. He was big and whole hearted and a handful for centre backs.

I refuse to believe there's nothing there in the free transfer market that couldn't do a job for half a game up front. It has to have been a decision by the club to just refuse to spend one single penny more in that transfer window just gone.

We need someone who knows how to be a target man from outside the club IMO to come in and give a bit of a shift in a few games, even if they dont start games.

Status
Not open for further replies.