The first 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's times like these Im a bit surprised at the sale of someone like Joe Williams. Is he necessarily up to "the standard"? Probably not. But he'd put in a hell of a lot more of a shift than what we currently have got going.
Seriously mate. Beginning to think the same. At least they’d bring energy and passion to the side, unlike what half the first team are showing at present.

Ive seen a huge number of posts slating Silva / Brands / Moshiri tonight.

Heres my take on the first 11 based on Brands/Silva signings when all are fit;

Pickford
Coleman Keane Mina Digne
Gbamin Gomes
Iwobi
Richarlison Kean Bernard​

Unfortunately it's becoming more and more apparent each week that those players just aren't that good, and other than maybe the odd player in there instead - Sidibe for Coleman, Delph instead of Gbamin I think that's close to our strongest 11.

Coleman is well past his best, he simply can't produce a quality cross or cut back anymore so despite getting in to good positions down that wing, it never amounts to anything due to his poor final ball. Keane and Mina are a very suspect partnership - I think we could manage with 1 of them alongside a better partner but not both together. Digne is excellent but finds himself brought down to the level of the rest of them on occasions which happened yesterday.

I agree not being able to play our 2 newly signed Centre Midfielders has been a hindrance but given the kind set of fixtures we have had, Silva and the team should have been able to cope in all of the games so far before City turn up next week. He could have mixed things up - brought Sigurdsson back in to CM in place of Gomes when he's not been playing, or given Davies a chance in a couple of games. Instead he has to put Schneiderlin in there when he's offered us nothing this season. If Silva can't come up with a way to solve that during one of our easiest set of opening fixtures that I can remember, what does he expect us to achieve with him as manager? These are the challenges that arise and he has no answers.

As for further forward, Richarlison is clearly a big player for us but too much expectation to produce is put on him when he is clearly still not the finished article. He often makes poor decisions but I at least see effort from him. I'm repeatedly disappointed with Bernard's end product and think he's very overrated by some.

The striker situation is laughably bad from Brands and Silva. Almost on a par with the neglect Walsh and Koeman showed going in to 17/18. We have pinned our hopes on a 19 year old lad who has never played in this league. Tosun hasn't produced and Calvert Lewin has far too many weaknesses to be starting up front.

I think we have about 4 players who could be good enough for a battle for the top 6 if surrounded by 4 or 5 more equally as good or better players (we're never going to get 11 players who are amazing as we aren't a Man City). Half our team needs upgrading so we are in for a tough season.

I think unfortunately we just have to realise that we are not a very good side. We've gone backwards from even last season. Midfield area is killing us, defensively chaotic and missing a proven front man. Doesn't bode well.

If Gana + Gomes were both injured last season wed look pretty similar.

Sorry Zat, we need to get away from 4321, it doesn't work.

Thats why we wanted Doucoure i think. Must have been a plea from Silva because theres no chance he'd have been happy keeping this midfield.

Agreed mate. Gueye hasn't been replaced that's for sure. The general lack of pace in our attacks is food and drink to sides like Sheffield United too and that's why I wasn't even that surprised with the result yesterday.

He has bit the replacement is injured.

Unfortunately it's becoming more and more apparent each week that those players just aren't that good, and other than maybe the odd player in there instead - Sidibe for Coleman, Delph instead of Gbamin I think that's close to our strongest 11.

Coleman is well past his best, he simply can't produce a quality cross or cut back anymore so despite getting in to good positions down that wing, it never amounts to anything due to his poor final ball. Keane and Mina are a very suspect partnership - I think we could manage with 1 of them alongside a better partner but not both together. Digne is excellent but finds himself brought down to the level of the rest of them on occasions which happened yesterday.

I agree not being able to play our 2 newly signed Centre Midfielders has been a hindrance but given the kind set of fixtures we have had, Silva and the team should have been able to cope in all of the games so far before City turn up next week. He could have mixed things up - brought Sigurdsson back in to CM in place of Gomes when he's not been playing, or given Davies a chance in a couple of games. Instead he has to put Schneiderlin in there when he's offered us nothing this season. If Silva can't come up with a way to solve that during one of our easiest set of opening fixtures that I can remember, what does he expect us to achieve with him as manager? These are the challenges that arise and he has no answers.

As for further forward, Richarlison is clearly a big player for us but too much expectation to produce is put on him when he is clearly still not the finished article. He often makes poor decisions but I at least see effort from him. I'm repeatedly disappointed with Bernard's end product and think he's very overrated by some.

The striker situation is laughably bad from Brands and Silva. Almost on a par with the neglect Walsh and Koeman showed going in to 17/18. We have pinned our hopes on a 19 year old lad who has never played in this league. Tosun hasn't produced and Calvert Lewin has far too many weaknesses to be starting up front.

I think we have about 4 players who could be good enough for a battle for the top 6 if surrounded by 4 or 5 more equally as good or better players (we're never going to get 11 players who are amazing as we aren't a Man City). Half our team needs upgrading so we are in for a tough season.

Just looking at the centre midfield.

Sigurdsson looks dreadful when dropped back.

Currently we have Sigurdsson, Davies, Baningime, Schneiderlin and Delph to choose from in there.

If we want to play 2 in the middle were stuffed as they arent good enough or athletic enough. If we go for 3 then the players pick themselves...

I really think its the centre midfield.

As for upfront, i think it would be a different story for Kean if we had Gomes there picking passes for him to run onto...

Status
Not open for further replies.