The fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It was interesting to hear Keane suggest in his post-match interview his new boss has increased the team's intensity. It was clearly visible in Everton's victory over Leeds but I've seen this Everton before. New manager, renewed enthusiasm, but then it all evaporates so quickly. New owner Farhad Moshiri, with the support of Bill Kenwright - the chairman that fans were so keen to hold responsible for their lack of success - have delivered Carlo Ancelotti, Benitez and now Lampard in quick succession. I wonder who they will hold responsible if this goes wrong?" - Garth Crooks.

You can only play with that kind of intensity if the manager sets the team up to play on the front foot and to press the opposition higher up the pitch. It's a two way thing. The gameplan has to be in place and then we need the players to execute.

We had tried to park the bus and soak up pressure all season up to this month, so it's no shock we hadn't played with intensity.

The fans I believe are up for every home game
The simple problem is the players aren’t always up for it. So what happens is 10mins into a game the fans see another under performing team, who show little passion and little desire, and they become disillusioned and react in wanting more from the team
Saturday the fans were up for it and the team started off fast and worked hard…so it worked well
I don’t believe it’s solely the fans that need to motivate young men earning on average 60k per week….. surely motivation and work rate are things that should come naturally
Nearly all games are quiet for the first 10 mins though, so it's quiet before we even know if the team are going to be good or bad. If it was noisy for 10 mins then went quiet as the performance was poor then I'd understand.

You can only play with that kind of intensity if the manager sets the team up to play on the front foot and to press the opposition higher up the pitch. It's a two way thing. The gameplan has to be in place and then we need the players to execute.

We had tried to park the bus and soak up pressure all season up to this month, so it's no shock we hadn't played with intensity.
Crooks for once has a point: what happens when the players just clock off again?...AND THEY WILL.

He's stating what we all know: this is a player problem at the club and has been for almost a decade. But fans will always go after the manager.

Like it or not, Crooks has got that one right.

Crooks for once has a point: what happens when the players just clock off again?...AND THEY WILL.

He's stating what we all know: this is a player problem at the club and has been for almost a decade. But fans will always go after the manager.

If he has it’ll be the first thing he’s got right for a very long time, one of the worst “pundits” around!

I feel like things are gradually changing under Lampard. He gets more time than previous managers because he has taken over the team at a lower position than his predecessors. Even Ancelotti came in when things were less serious.

The players are clearly an issue and so long as we stay up (17th or above), Lampard needs to be supported in carrying out an overhaul in the summer. Players need to be moved on and there needs to be no sentimentality. If good offers come in for players, then they need to be seriously considered.

But I stand by the point. The previous manager did not set us up to play on the front foot at Goodison, and his tactics were to sit deep and soak up pressure. You cannot play at a high intensity with those tactics, and they should never be accepted at home, except against truly elite teams, and there are only 2 of those in this league.

There will be ups and downs with Lampard, and there will be a day coming when someone plays right round and through our press. But as long as the overall trajectory is upwards, then we need to accept bad days are inevitable until the squad is improved, and just try to limit them.

I feel like things are gradually changing under Lampard. He gets more time than previous managers because he has taken over the team at a lower position than some predecessors.

The players are clearly an issue and so long as we stay up (17th or above), Lampard needs to be supported in carrying out an overhaul in the summer. Players need to be moved on and there needs to be no sentimentality. If good offers come in for players, then they need to be seriously considered.

But I stand by the point. The previous manager did not set us up to play on the front foot at Goodison, and his tactics were to sit deep and soak up pressure. You cannot play at a high intensity with those tactics, and they should never be accepted at home, except against truly elite teams, and there are only 2 of those in this league.

There will be ups and downs with Lampard, and there will be a day coming when someone plays right round and through our press. But as long as the overall trajectory is upwards, then we need to accept bad days are inevitable until the squad is improved, and just try to limit them.
Second half on Saturday: understandably maybe we didn't press as comprehensively as the first half. That was probably down to Lampard instructing them to do that. I doubt we'll see the type of Leeds energy levels here...and neither does Lampard want that.

We've yet to see Lampard's method established here.

Second half on Saturday: understandably maybe we didn't press as comprehensively as the first half. That was probably down to Lampard instructing them to do that. I doubt we'll see the type of Leeds energy levels here...and neither does Lampard want that.

We've yet to see Lampard's method established here.

You don't need to press as much at 2 nil up in the last half hour of a game. Our fast start got us into a position to manage the game. But we still won the ball high quite a lot in the second half.

I'm pretty sure Lampard is going to want us to play at a high pace and start quickly at home. Away from home, he will probably want to keep the ball more.

Unreal atmosphere on Saturday. It was needed. I've missed going home with no voice.

The joys of sitting in the Park End when some fella behind starts telling us off for "making noise and standing up."

"You've got a seat, use it" he moaned that it's daft all this forced noise, Goodison always has a loud atmosphere.

I just hope we can keep it up for the remaining games now. A bigger test would've been to see what happens when we concede.

He's very supportive of Kenwright in that quote too, did he get that bit right too? Or is he just a Muppet, saying the first thing that pops into his head?

"It was interesting to hear Keane suggest in his post-match interview his new boss has increased the team's intensity. It was clearly visible in Everton's victory over Leeds but I've seen this Everton before. New manager, renewed enthusiasm, but then it all evaporates so quickly. New owner Farhad Moshiri, with the support of Bill Kenwright - the chairman that fans were so keen to hold responsible for their lack of success - have delivered Carlo Ancelotti, Benitez and now Lampard in quick succession. I wonder who they will hold responsible if this goes wrong?" - Garth Crooks.
The actual state of that.

Any oportunity to stick the knife in.

Pretty defeatist even for you that.

Unreal atmosphere on Saturday. It was needed. I've missed going home with no voice.

The joys of sitting in the Park End when some fella behind starts telling us off for "making noise and standing up."

"You've got a seat, use it" he moaned that it's daft all this forced noise, Goodison always has a loud atmosphere.

I just hope we can keep it up for the remaining games now. A bigger test would've been to see what happens when we concede.
As bad as the effect on the players all the whinging arses has it also destroys the atmosphere for the rest of us too.

I'm fed up having matchday ruined by people who generally turn up at 5 to three, pissed up and then just want to scream abuse at our players or growl at anyone who thinks differently to them. If they don't enjoy it thatuch then [Poor language removed] off and let the rest of us have some peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.