The Everton/Goodison Footprint

Status
Not open for further replies.
The former Walton Motors site is council-owned, as is Gwladys Street school, of course. If this space could be utilised, together with the first few houses on Diana Street plus the first few houses on one side of Muriel Street, then a re-routing of Bullens Road could open up a lot more space. Haven't mapped this out, but I know an architect did an exercise using these assumptions on behalf of KEIOC during the debate on the Kirkby move. In fact, this was presented at an AGM but in the rush to move a few miles up the East Lancs, it was ignored.

corner of park end/ goodison rd to where walton motors meets rd is 198m, but then if you head up vertically to Gwladys St 177m which cuts school in 1/2, 1 side of Diana st gone and 1/2 of Muriel st. If so much was allowed to be used then really the whole of that block might as well be used.

If we were allowed to head into Stanley park then just on the other side of the ponds an area that would fit any of the mentioned stadiums is there, the Car Park at the top end is about 115 x 255 so r/s mustve been gonna use about 50/75 beyond that.

I don't see why we cant just have the Bullens stand going over the road, extend it out, the road can stay like a tunnel going under it, I'm sure there is a big stadium in Holland like that.

Croke Park in Dublin has a stand over a railway track, it causes no problem, a stand cantilevered over a road wouldn't be a big engineering operation.

Does anyone know who built the new Park End stand , was it Johnsons mate Corfe developments ? Who did most of Tranmeres redevelopment .
Cannot seem to find who it was via the inter web .

Croke Park in Dublin has a stand over a railway track, it causes no problem, a stand cantilevered over a road wouldn't be a big engineering operation.

Track is behind the open end
an-aerial-view-of-croke-park-752x501.jpg

sorry, the opposite end has a track as well between the canal and stadium
Croke-Park-Aerial-View.jpg

The former Walton Motors site is council-owned, as is Gwladys Street school, of course. If this space could be utilised, together with the first few houses on Diana Street plus the first few houses on one side of Muriel Street, then a re-routing of Bullens Road could open up a lot more space. Haven't mapped this out, but I know an architect did an exercise using these assumptions on behalf of KEIOC during the debate on the Kirkby move. In fact, this was presented at an AGM but in the rush to move a few miles up the East Lancs, it was ignored.

If you went on the assumption that the Council would give us the school and walton motors site, would it not be worth attempting to buy up the whole of Diana st and Muriel st (obviously in a non kopite way) and turn the stadium 180 deg ?

dream of a rebuild. if we move we will lose a lot of everton too. maybe its just sentiment but its one of a few proper stadiums left. loads of ex pro's and current players from other teams list it as their favourite away ground. Away fans don't like the posts but even on a rebuild we should put posts up in the away end.

can't imagine walking into a new template arena and getting excited. Out of the new stadiums, none of them do it for me. The legroom at arsenal is a perk (but not necessary) but dislike the feeling of being so far away from the pitch and all the extras that tend to go with new arenas like humongous flag waving and music being played when goals are scored.

went to the bernabau in november and it felt like a stadium. Was amazed by it.

Yeah be easy enough to do, that newish car park between Bold St and Renshaw street is above the Northern railway line, if they can do it for that a stand be no problem.

I don't see why we cant just have the Bullens stand going over the road, extend it out, the road can stay like a tunnel going under it, I'm sure there is a big stadium in Holland like that.

The Amsterdam arena has a main road go right underneath it.
Amsterdam%20Arena%2001.jpg

The Amsterdam arena has a main road go right underneath it.
Amsterdam%20Arena%2001.jpg

Cool, new stadium at the rocket at the end of the M62 then?

I remember when that Amsterdam stadium was new, they had loads of problems with how low the front row of seats were below pitch level!

Very short sighted by all involved I mean why not just do it while construction is on going

Like you say cheap by Peter Johnson
I'm no apologist for the Johnson era, but he also had plans to move away from Goodison, hence the Park End was seen very much as a stop gap. Also, I think much of the funding came from the Football Trust. (By the way, if DK was controversial as a ground move project, imagine if PJ had got his way with his Cronton scheme!)

I've been looking on Google Maps on Satellite view and if you right click you can drop some markers for distances and so measure the size of the land that we currently have which is around 150 x 200m if trying to maintain a rectangular shape. The actual is about 230x150x200x150 with Goodison rd the longest side.
I did this so as to then compare the footprint of other stadiums that are in existence, mainly because my arl fella went to The Bernabeu a few years ago & said that from the outside it doesnt seem that big and when approaching you dont really realise its there until its right in front of you.
So, I did similar footprint measures with a few stadiums as a comparison, it does seem that we have a bit of a problem with whats available width wise but have whats seeming to be a 'standard' length of approx 200m. Goodison footprint as approx 177 x 116 using a rectangle but 150 at widest point of Bullens to Main Stand.

here are some results....

Bernabeu 211 x 200, San Siro almost the same

Juventus 170 x 200

Dortmund 187 x 200

Mestalla 192 x 150

any other suggestions to measure whilst I'm at it ?

Lang Park aka Suncorp Stadium Brisbane 55K. I've been a few times in various specs no pillars. horrible paint job but we could do worse than that sort of thing.

I didn't know Walton Motors' site was council owned.

corner of park end/ goodison rd to where walton motors meets rd is 198m, but then if you head up vertically to Gwladys St 177m which cuts school in 1/2, 1 side of Diana st gone and 1/2 of Muriel st. If so much was allowed to be used then really the whole of that block might as well be used.

If we were allowed to head into Stanley park then just on the other side of the ponds an area that would fit any of the mentioned stadiums is there, the Car Park at the top end is about 115 x 255 so r/s mustve been gonna use about 50/75 beyond that.

Stanley Park - Now, I'm from L4, and really don't like the idea of us (or Liverpool, or anyone for that matter) building on the local parks, which includes the plans for WHP. However, I could stomach us building mostly on the Stanley Park car park and old Vernon Sangster section - this is mostly not green space, and also the section that Liverpool were slated in for 10 years ago - we wanted it in 1990, but they were "given" it in 2000-sh, so why can't we have it?

It's about as close to Goodison as we will get, and was the site of our first official match if what I've read is correct. Maybe even Arkles Lane could be narrowed by the eastbound carriageway moving into the central reservation, to create more space? Also, no-one would be made to move house with that plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.