The Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people refer to those classic atmospheres of Bayern Munich and Fiorentina, it’s a little sad that that means not one classic home atmosphere in 11 years.

I'd say the last time I can remember it getting close to the Goodison that I would think of would be the Arsenal game in 2016-17, when we won 2-1.

Before that, the Martinez first season was obviously great. That Arsenal 3-0 is the best game I've been at and will always be up there. Same with City in the final Moyes season.

But it's fleeting moments.

If this forum is an accurate representation of supporters, it’s no real surprise that the crowd is currently so quiet. 90% of posts are complaining about and berating the players, the manager, the DoF, the chairman, the owner, the stadium, the stadium project manager, the architect, the chief executive etc etc.

We rightly take the p out of the RS for their cultlike, delusional proclamations about their team, and the fact that, with them, everything that goes wrong, is somehow, someone else’s fault. But think we are far too unforgiving with our own, which leads to the current disconnect between fans and the team.

Away support is obviously something else. We're one of the best around.
As has been pointed out it doesn’t result in wins or improve performance. How many games do we win away each season? The crowd thing in general is a bit of a red herring. Players do pick it up with their ears but it never gets as far as their feet or brains.

They say if you want a quiet night in Manchester go to the Etihad. That’s the team who got 100 points. Arsenal are generally top 4 and have won a few FA cups recently and they play in the Library.

I personally like an atmosphere and love to see Goodison bouncing but I don’t see it changing until we’ve got something to get behind. To me that’s what the manager has failed to do so far. People call it an identity, a pattern of play, school of science or whatever. At the moment we are kind of known as being poor at corners and poor at defending set pieces.

There was a bit media attention prior to the derby where we were on the front foot and we looked like we may be moving forward. It’s like someone pulled the plug. We just can’t seem to get that kickstart we need and it’s killing us at the moment.

I'd say the last time I can remember it getting close to the Goodison that I would think of would be the Arsenal game in 2016-17, when we won 2-1.

Before that, the Martinez first season was obviously great. That Arsenal 3-0 is the best game I've been at and will always be up there. Same with City in the final Moyes season.

But it's fleeting moments.
Moyes last season was pretty animated and as you mention under Martinez we had two great victories over Chelsea and Arsenal respectively - both great days.

The Derby in Martinez's first season was also a really good atmosphere as was the cup victory over Chelsea; there's been a fair few other great days as well.

However, the overall atmosphere is simply not what it was without discussing the big names. If we scored facing the Street End it would often go totally barmy!

I'm talking about glasses going everywhere, jumping on each other and the odd person ending up on their backside and being lucky if they're in their same row.

Now it's primarily a cheer, a clap and a hug. I said it the other day, but we could almost suck a goal in and corners were incredibly loud affairs. That's mostly gone!

I could mention lots of other examples from throughout Moyes's reign and many managers before him, but it's a shame that there's been so few as of late.

If this forum is an accurate representation of supporters, it’s no real surprise that the crowd is currently so quiet. 90% of posts are complaining about and berating the players, the manager, the DoF, the chairman, the owner, the stadium, the stadium project manager, the architect, the chief executive etc etc.
Just stick Dave on ignore, that will sort it ;)

???????????? Abuse of Everton fans ???????? Good people supporting our Boys in Blue ????? Que pasa?????

Ive yet to attend a game were I havent had the urge to smack somebody in the teeth frandelino racist abuse of our own players, racist abuse of our manager, every week.

I honestly think we have the worst fanbase in football. Entitled clueless racist mutants.

Away support is obviously something else. We're one of the best around.

I'd argue our away support is quite poor actually. Don't get me wrong, they're also some of the best, we travel in huge numbers, selling out Southampton on Monday night, Newcastle Tuesday and so on, but we're just not vocal. It's sound having a sing on the coach down, or in the concourse, but we never do it in the stand. God knows why. You get the smaller teams like Burnley singing and getting behind the team, and we're just stood silent throughout.

Great Numbers, But Not Great overall.

Ive yet to attend a game were I havent had the urge to smack somebody in the teeth frandelino racist abuse of our own players, racist abuse of our manager, every week.

I honestly think we have the worst fanbase in football. Entitled clueless racist mutants.

Racism? That is bad tbf.

I'm not saying there isn't some questionable undertones from certain sections of our fans, but I genuinely haven't heard openly racist abuse in a fair few years.

There was a fan who spouted some absolute crap a few years ago but he was quickly put in his place and was never seen again - presumed banned.

Any away day I've had has been ace, like.

Well, usually not the result, but the craic.

Status
Not open for further replies.