The best in the world at their position. At Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Nev has to be. For keeper to win the football writers footballer of the year award, in a championship season that the club won with five games to go. Shows how good he was. Only other player I can really think of in my lifetime was Sheedy. He has to be the most underrated player. Considering how Beckham was treated for his freekicks, Sheeds was better.
End of argument.

Well done Sir.

Was Nev better than Zubizaretta of Spain or Schumacher of West Germany ? Shilton and Jennings were around then too

Preud'homme was round about that time as well.......All them them very good. A lot better than some of these 'keepers who are allegedly 'world-class' these days

And yes - Southall was better than all of them.

Preud'homme was round about that time as well.......All them them very good. A lot better than some of these 'keepers who are allegedly 'world-class' these days

And yes - Southall was better than all of them.
None of the keepers mentioned in the post you replied to or Preud'Homme had the agility of Southall. Im biased but [Poor language removed] it, Southall changed Goalkeeping at that time, he was unreal

And yes I said [Poor language removed] cos theres times when a simple fcuk wont suffice :)

Lineaker, as good as he was, could never be regarded as the best in the world when Maradonna was at his peak. Big Nev is the only one in my time that could be considered.

Lineaker, as good as he was, could never be regarded as the best in the world when Maradonna was at his peak. Big Nev is the only one in my time that could be considered.

At his position though? Not saying Linekar was a better player than Maradonna, obv, but he could have played in that Argentina team, imo.

At his position though? Not saying Linekar was a better player than Maradonna, obv, but he could have played in that Argentina team, imo.

Yep I think it was supposed to be a bit if a one man team if I remember right. Two very different players, I was just classing them both as forwards that made me say that. If I was being honest, there was a certain Welsh forward a bit closer to home who I thought was better.

Dalglish was the best player in the best team. It would make sense that he was the best.

Maradona was around then too but I think he was slightly later. When was Platini, he was around in the early 80s as well. Many think he was the best player in the world at the time.
Platini was my fave non Everton player. Better than Zidane imo.

Denmark had a striker called Preben Elkjaer in the mid eighties who finished top scorer in Italy when Italian defences were the best in the world.
That Danish team was possibly the best team to watch in the world at the time. Totally cavalier and as likely to lose 5-1 as they were to win 6-1.
As they showed in the 86 WC.

Sorry for going off topic.

In recent times Baines is the closest we've got to the 'Best in the World' stakes.
Rooney was easily one of the best, if not best Youth Products around.

Not old enough to remember Southall in his Prime, but from what i know about him, surely he was the best GK in the World.

Denmark had a striker called Preben Elkjaer in the mid eighties who finished top scorer in Italy when Italian defences were the best in the world.
That Danish team was possibly the best team to watch in the world at the time. Totally cavalier and as likely to lose 5-1 as they were to win 6-1.

I didn't see enough of Platini - although I do remember that flick that went over the bar in the recesses of my mind - probably a replay. The 86 World Cup was the first major tournament I can remember. Maybe that's why I don't rate Rush as highly. I never saw him really at his peak.

I find it hard to believe he was better than Zidane though. Zidane was poetry in motion - even Messi and Maradona while more exciting don't make me go wow quite as much. Although Messi comes close when he starts nutmegging people.

Great days. Denmark were brilliant to watch and that French team is my all time favourite non-EFC side

I didn't see enough of Platini - although I do remember that flick that went over the bar in the recesses of my mind - probably a replay. The 86 World Cup was the first major tournament I can remember. Maybe that's why I don't rate Rush as highly. I never saw him really at his peak.

I find it hard to believe he was better than Zidane though. Zidane was poetry in motion - even Messi and Maradona while more exciting don't make me go wow quite as much. Although Messi comes close when he starts nutmegging people.
Zidane was more elegant in his movement. However Platini made the whole team tick and scored loads of goals too.

Status
Not open for further replies.