The best in the world at their position. At Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Begs the question, although having lots more successful teams have Liverpool ever had players that would get into the Southall Ball and Dean bracket? I can't remember any of them (apart from a declining Southall play) so I'm genuinely throwing it out there to people who can remember. Just seems from a modern day viewpoint that reds argue whether Gerrard is their greatest ever player or Dalglish, whilst it is accepted that Rush was their best striker. But it seems to me based on how players are reported on and their stats etc. that only Dalglish out of these three would even come into the conversation when comparing players to the likes of Ball and Dean. Or have we blues just overhyped what few heroes we do have to mythical proportions? Would love to know.
Daglish or Suarez where the best ever players for Liverpool and both best in their position. Gerrard is in the group below but probably top of that group.

Southall would have a case for being the best of all time wouldnt he, at his best. Cant think of too many better keepers, unless there was someone from the 60's and before that i have no clue about
I think Neuer will go on to be better, at least in terms of trophies but yea I can't think of anyone better than Nev.

Daglish or Suarez where the best ever players for Liverpool and both best in their position. Gerrard is in the group below but probably top of that group.

Using the criteria of the OP though. Suarez was one of the best in the world but he was undoubtedly behind Messi and Ronaldo. The same logic is being used to discount Baines so it should apply to Suarez as well. I don't know enough about Dalglish's peers to pass judgement. Was he really the best in the world at the time?

Yeah, it's all subjective. All you can really do is point to the best players of a generation. Zidane was probably the best player of his generation, but if he'd played at the same time as Messi, C. Ronaldo, Maradonna (for example) some would argue that he wasn't world class.
I think Zidane is up there with Messi. He's done more at international level and call me old fashioned but I think that matters.

Messi has never carried a team on his back which you have to do to a degree at international level. Zidane did in many ways and I know France was a good team and so was Maradonna's Argentina but so was Messi's Argentina. Messi never won the world cup.

All because of one infamous incident:

pretty horrific challenge, should've got sent off at the very least. Schumacher otherwise was a very good keeper, helping Germany to two major finals...but Nev was better.

No one's saying he was "streets above".

A better way to test the theory is to ask your question the other way around:

Were Rummenigge, Butragueno, the Mexican backflip forward, Laudrup, Vialli, Rossi, Zico etc better than Lineker during 85/86 season?

Perhaps as good, but better?

During that season leading including the world cup. Yes. He was the best. The stats show it and he won the golden boot. What more does he need to do as a striker?

Using the criteria of the OP though. Suarez was one of the best in the world but he was undoubtedly behind Messi and Ronaldo. The same logic is being used to discount Baines so it should apply to Suarez as well. I don't know enough about Dalglish's peers to pass judgement. Was he really the best in the world at the time?
Not really Messi is a false 9 or even a winger. So is Ronaldo.

We're talking in "his position" and as a classic No9 Suarez was the best. Plus Messi wasn't great that year. Frankly I would have had Suarez ahead of him.

Dalglish was the best player in the best team. It would make sense that he was the best.

Maradona was around then too but I think he was slightly later. When was Platini, he was around in the early 80s as well. Many think he was the best player in the world at the time.

Not really Messi is a false 9 or even a winger. So is Ronaldo.

We're talking in "his position" and as a classic No9 Suarez was the best. Plus Messi wasn't great that year. Frankly I would have had Suarez ahead of him.

Sorry, this is the line everyone uses when they want to make an argument for another striker as the best in the world. Messi plays in the middle of a front three. Ronaldo finds himself there often as well. All three players roam all over the place whenever they want, except two of them scored 50 goals and one scored 30.

Big Nev has to be. For keeper to win the football writers footballer of the year award, in a championship season that the club won with five games to go. Shows how good he was. Only other player I can really think of in my lifetime was Sheedy. He has to be the most underrated player. Considering how Beckham was treated for his freekicks, Sheeds was better.

Sorry, this is the line everyone uses when they want to make an argument for another striker as the best in the world. Messi plays in the middle of a front three. Ronaldo finds himself there often as well. All three players roam all over the place whenever they want, except two of them scored 50 goals and one scored 30.
OK fair enough. I said I would have had Suarez ahead of Messi last season. He was poor by his standards coming back from injury and Barca won nothing.

Ronaldo has never been a striker for Madrid. Benezema played there that season and was excellent but not as good as Suarez.

One also missed how much of the first half of the season?

Both Real and Barca have a far superior team. Liverpool aren't even a Top 5 team without Suarez. That's like Messi or Ronaldo almost winning the league with Villarreal missing the first 6 games. I wouldn't bet on that.

Suarez is better than people think. Messi allowed him to play in the middle because he recognizes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.