The best in the world at their position. At Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine it was tough and I wouldn't recommend YouTube or anything to catch up on how effective Rush was because I'm certain it will contain to many goals against us to be honest.

Can't believe the dismissing of Rush in this thread. Without question world class in the same mould as Muller for sheer poaching. I mentioned Lineker as for that season I think he maybe was amongst the best. That said I'd have preferred Sharp/Heath/Gray for that season.

But the other top left backs at the time were hardly solid in defence either. Actually most full backs aren't the best defensively these days.
As mentioned above, they don't get the credit.

He was one of the worlds best but to say he was the worlds best, nope. Plus he was part of the partnership that was great, pienaar and baines, take pienaar away and he doenst look the same

As mentioned above, they don't get the credit.

He was one of the worlds best but to say he was the worlds best, nope. Plus he was part of the partnership that was great, pienaar and baines, take pienaar away and he doenst look the same

Only Alves and Roberto Carlos were mentioned above, one was a right back and one was finished at the top level years ago. Going back two years Baines was the best in the Premier League and the only other players as good as him were Alba and Marcelo and they both play in a team full of superstars were the teams they play against hardly ever attack, so they are much less likely to be exposed defensively as teams playing against them simply don't have the talent. Baines also carried Everton for a while and was our most creative player and had a much greater influence on the outcome of the game compared to the other players mentioned. I personally think for a 1-2 year stretch Baines was the best in the world at his position.

Only Alves and Roberto Carlos were mentioned above, one was a right back and one was finished at the top level years ago. Going back two years Baines was the best in the Premier League and the only other players as good as him were Alba and Marcelo and they both play in a team full of superstars were the teams they play against hardly ever attack, so they are much less likely to be exposed defensively as teams playing against them simply don't have the talent. Baines also carried Everton for a while and was our most creative player and had a much greater influence on the outcome of the game compared to the other players mentioned. I personally think for a 1-2 year stretch Baines was the best in the world at his position.
Alba, marcelo, Lahm (the times he played there) better at the time. Take pienaar away from the little combo and he wasnt tthe same

Rush buggered us to feck enough times, like...but he failed at Juventus like a little homesick puppy. His record for Wales was average and he didn't score much for his other clubs either. Even his overall record for Liverpool is at a ratio we know from our own Tony Cottee. Lineker was a class (or two) above that.

Begs the question, although having lots more successful teams have Liverpool ever had players that would get into the Southall Ball and Dean bracket? I can't remember any of them (apart from a declining Southall play) so I'm genuinely throwing it out there to people who can remember. Just seems from a modern day viewpoint that reds argue whether Gerrard is their greatest ever player or Dalglish, whilst it is accepted that Rush was their best striker. But it seems to me based on how players are reported on and their stats etc. that only Dalglish out of these three would even come into the conversation when comparing players to the likes of Ball and Dean. Or have we blues just overhyped what few heroes we do have to mythical proportions? Would love to know.

Begs the question, although having lots more successful teams have Liverpool ever had players that would get into the Southall Ball and Dean bracket? I can't remember any of them (apart from a declining Southall play) so I'm genuinely throwing it out there to people who can remember. Just seems from a modern day viewpoint that reds argue whether Gerrard is their greatest ever player or Dalglish, whilst it is accepted that Rush was their best striker. But it seems to me based on how players are reported on and their stats etc. that only Dalglish out of these three would even come into the conversation when comparing players to the likes of Ball and Dean. Or have we blues just overhyped what few heroes we do have to mythical proportions? Would love to know.

Dalglish, Rush and Barnes were their stand out players for me, maybe Beardsley too. What lets Barnes down was his inability at international level whereas the other three were very comfortable.

Southall would have a case for being the best of all time wouldnt he, at his best. Cant think of too many better keepers, unless there was someone from the 60's and before that i have no clue about

Can't be arsed discussing RS players in much depth, but the likes of Hansen, Souness etc were class players. Thankfully, the only players from the last ten years that would have got in their 80's team (Alonso, Suarez, Gerrard, Mascherano and Torres) have all frigged off.

Danny Ings and Rickie Lambert up front, lol.

Suarez, Torres, Rush, Dalglish.

Status
Not open for further replies.