The best in the world at their position. At Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Begs the question, although having lots more successful teams have Liverpool ever had players that would get into the Southall Ball and Dean bracket? I can't remember any of them (apart from a declining Southall play) so I'm genuinely throwing it out there to people who can remember. Just seems from a modern day viewpoint that reds argue whether Gerrard is their greatest ever player or Dalglish, whilst it is accepted that Rush was their best striker. But it seems to me based on how players are reported on and their stats etc. that only Dalglish out of these three would even come into the conversation when comparing players to the likes of Ball and Dean. Or have we blues just overhyped what few heroes we do have to mythical proportions? Would love to know.

Suarez was joint 3rd best in the world with Ibra (and behind the usual two suspects) when he was hitting that frankly unbelievable run of form. Sole reason they ever got close to challenging for the title.

Dalglish was just before my time but he's considered one of the greats, possibly best Scottish player ever.

I think that's it from their side.

Was Nev better than Zubizaretta of Spain or Schumacher of West Germany ? Shilton and Jennings were around then too

Peter Shilton was never in the same class as Nev, nor was Jennings. Can't comment on the other 2, but for some reason the German had a bit of a rep when I was in school. Think he was known as a bit of a dirty barsteward. Not entirely sure why.

I know some blues who insist that we'd not have won the league without Nev.

Only Alves and Roberto Carlos were mentioned above, one was a right back and one was finished at the top level years ago. Going back two years Baines was the best in the Premier League and the only other players as good as him were Alba and Marcelo and they both play in a team full of superstars were the teams they play against hardly ever attack, so they are much less likely to be exposed defensively as teams playing against them simply don't have the talent. Baines also carried Everton for a while and was our most creative player and had a much greater influence on the outcome of the game compared to the other players mentioned. I personally think for a 1-2 year stretch Baines was the best in the world at his position.
I mentioned Alves and Carlos to make the point that they were, as attacking full backs, considered amongst the best in the world at their peaks yet weren't brilliant defensively. So Baines shouldn't be counted out either. All 3 are/were more wing backs in reality.

Peter Shilton was never in the same class as Nev, nor was Jennings. Can't comment on the other 2, but for some reason the German had a bit of a rep when I was in school. Think he was known as a bit of a dirty barsteward. Not entirely sure why.

I know some blues who insist that we'd not have won the league without Nev.
I don't disagree. Just think it is hard to place our players as the best in the world. It would be hard to choose anyone tbf except maybe, Messi, Maradona, Beckebauer etc

Rummenigge, Butragueno, the Mexican backflip forward, Laudrup, Vialli, Rossi, Zico etc....tough to think Lineker was streets above all these.

I don't disagree. Just think it is hard to place our players as the best in the world. It would be hard to choose anyone tbf except maybe, Messi, Maradona, Beckebauer etc

Rummenigge, Butragueno, the Mexican backflip forward, Laudrup, Vialli, Rossi, Zico etc....tough to think Lineker was streets above all these.

Yeah, it's all subjective. All you can really do is point to the best players of a generation. Zidane was probably the best player of his generation, but if he'd played at the same time as Messi, C. Ronaldo, Maradonna (for example) some would argue that he wasn't world class.

Was Nev better than Zubizaretta of Spain or Schumacher of West Germany ? Shilton and Jennings were around then too

Except for Jennings in my opinion he was better by miles than all of them, he really was that good.

Better than Jennings too who is easily best of the rest of that list.

Southall is a definite, Jennings was in decline by the time Nev was at his peak.
Ratcliffe would be close as would Lineker and Sheeds but since then I don't think we have realistically had anyone.

Disagree. When he went to Euro 2004 as an Everton player I believe he was the best and most sought after player in the world.
The sum he went for was amazing at the time.

Just my opinion like.

but tbf, he was sought after more for what he could be than what he was.

for some reason the German had a bit of a rep when I was in school. Think he was known as a bit of a dirty barsteward. Not entirely sure why.

All because of one infamous incident:

pretty horrific challenge, should've got sent off at the very least. Schumacher otherwise was a very good keeper, helping Germany to two major finals...but Nev was better.

No one's saying he was "streets above".

A better way to test the theory is to ask your question the other way around:

Were Rummenigge, Butragueno, the Mexican backflip forward, Laudrup, Vialli, Rossi, Zico etc better than Lineker during 85/86 season?

Perhaps as good, but better?

All because of one infamous incident:

pretty horrific challenge, should've got sent off at the very least. Schumacher otherwise was a very good keeper, helping Germany to two major finals...but Nev was better.

No one's saying he was "streets above".

A better way to test the theory is to ask your question the other way around:

Were Rummenigge, Butragueno, the Mexican backflip forward, Laudrup, Vialli, Rossi, Zico etc better than Lineker during 85/86 season?

Perhaps as good, but better?

just find it difficult to label anyone best in the world, barring a notable few.

so I agree with you.

Hugo Sanchez....I remember now !

Can't believe the dismissing of Rush in this thread. Without question world class in the same mould as Muller for sheer poaching. I mentioned Lineker as for that season I think he maybe was amongst the best. That said I'd have preferred Sharp/Heath/Gray for that season.
Ian rush was world class from 82-86 until he went to Juventus. Yes he was in an excellent side alongside dalglish who laid so many goals but it pains to stay I think he was better than lineker as his work rate was so much better. Lineker quite rightly was lauded due to winning the golden boot at the World Cup in 86. But domestically rush was better. It's just unfortunate for the welsh that the likes of southall, ratcliffe, van de hawe, Hughes and rush were denied their moment on the worlds biggest stage. As at present they only have 1 world class player (bale) but that side had numerous world class players that didn't qualify for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.