The argument for Benitez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly sounds to me, like we’re clutching at a David Moyes - West Ham scenario.

Seemingly, an out of sorts manager, who’s fallen on harder times, who can do something from nothing and get a gang on underachievers into Europe.

Sadly, Benitez, whilst popular with Newcastle fans, hasn’t done anything since leaving Chelsea… simply put, there are managers who adapts their game and can have a moderately successful career, as they read the game (Hodgson, Allardyce *shudder*), I’ve not seen anything from Benitez to suggest he’s progressive with his approach and that his tactics can be successful or even effective in 2021.

Great list of honours, but 7 years is a long time in football, and that’s not good enough for me.

Ultimately I’m not arsed if he’s a Liverpool favourite, I want to be successful, I want to win trophies and be proud of the football we play. Benitez won’t bring us that.

Absolutely.

If this was Brendan Rodgers we were talking about I would have zero issues with it and I don't think most fans would as long as he keeps his envelopes at home because he is a young progressive manager who is doing well in a relevant timescale to what we are in.

Because they atmosphere is great as it stands.

Last season proved how important the Goodison crowd is to the team. I don't think that argument about the crowd or atmosphere has any credibility whatsoever.

The club is in a really low place after how Ancelotti left, and I think vast swathes of our support will simply become too disillusioned with the club and football if Benitez is appointed. I can't see how the club can succeed with such division.

For the record, I don’t want Rafael or Nuno

But I would just prefer Rafael on the grounds that Moshiri would have to back him in the market. And who knows what will happen with Mendes interfering.

While Rafael is defensive, I do think he’s a better all round manager. And with the right signings he could open up a bit more.

And is not set in this defensive, low possession based counter attacking football. That Nuno tends to live and die by.

I mean there have been no fans for over a year...
I'm aware of that, but the fan base has been fractured for a long, long, long time. The last time I can remember anything even remotely close to unity (for more than 2 or 3 months) was probably 5 or 6 years into Moyes tenure and even then there were detractors.

Any appointment we make will be met with some folded arm acceptance, and a lot of hostility. There are even people who are vocally opposed to hypothetical appointments we have zero chance of even getting, like Mourinho.

If they have spoken to Benitez, and he turns out to be the best candidate, but we cut our nose off to spite our face and appoint a lesser manager because he said something stupid a long time ago, which apparently matters if it's a childish insult but not if its a history of winning trophies, then we are stupid.

As a manager he's decent enough, but the fact he referred to us as a small club should instantly disqualify him. We should show at least a shred of self-respect. And I get he was probably just trolling us to curry favour with the RS, but still, that line will haunt him if he ever got the job here.

Again just to note he has clarified since we set up to not play which is what small clubs do and he was right about that.

I'm not sure it would work but that says more about us as a fanbase than it does about his work. For me if we could get him cheaper and get rid of him cheaper then that trumps someone like NES who will cost a bomb on both by the seem of it. Benitez's profile allied to our budget might mean we can stay on an upward curve until we are out of the transitional phase and be more desirable for the next lot of up and coming managers.

Last season proved how important the Goodison crowd is to the team. I don't think that argument about the crowd or atmosphere has any credibility whatsoever.

The club is in a really low place after how Ancelotti left, and I think vast swathes of our support will simply become too disillusioned with the club and football if Benitez is appointed. I can't see how the club can succeed with such division.

And yet, on the other hand, someone who you would imagine would unite people based on his personality like Ferguson, is equally as divisive because he didn't manage Rotherham for 2 years 1st.

The club is at a low place, because the big name manager we had walked out on us at the 1st opportunity, but some think we should be appointing Conte.

It's a madhouse of a fan base, and honestly, it's tiresome.

Benitez has downsides. Every single manager does. But what he brings is a stability and a track record and he would be, in my opinion, the least complicated, most logical replacement for someone of the name of Carlo Ancelotti without taking a hit on the reputation, especially for those who thought Ancelotti was the wrong appointment in the 1st place and are now revelling in being proved right.

Someone said it would be an insular appointment, I would argue it would be the least Insular. Outwardly, it would be like we haven't missed a step, and the only problems anyone would have with him would be Evertonians holding a grudge.

Last edited:

And yet, on the other hand, someone who you would imagine would unite people based on his personality like Ferguson, is equally as divisive because he didn't manage Rotherham for 2 years 1st.

The club is at a low place, because the big name manager we had walked out on us at the 1st opportunity, but some thing we should appointing Conte.

It's a madhouse of a fan base, and honestly, it's tiresome.

Benitez has downsides. Every single manager does. But what he brings is a stability and a track record and he would be, in my opinion, the least complicated, most logical replacement for someone of the name of Carlo Ancelotti without taking a hit on the reputation, especially for those who thought Ancelotti was the wrong appointment in the 1st place and are now revelling in being proved right.

Someone said it would be an insular appointment, I would argue it would be the least Insular. Outwardly, it would be like we haven't missed a step, and the only problems anyone would have with him would be Evertonians holding a grudge.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't get this point of view.

Ignoring everything else, I have major doubts about anyone who goes off to China. It worries me if they still have the hunger and commitment for such a tough job like Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.