The Architect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moomin

Player Valuation: £90m
The tenure of Steve " He discovered a 30 year old Zola " Walsh came to an end in May of 2018.

He was replaced in June by Marcel Brands who had a succesful spell of the DOF role at PSV. At the time of joining Everton had just finished 8th in the league.

Armed with an open cheque book and a new manager in Marco Silva, the aim was to progress Everton back up the league and qualification for Europe.

As expected, we as fans got excited ( Just like when Steve Walsh joined ) and hyped him up so much he became Marcel " He takes what he wants " Brands after the signing of Moise Kean. He would in 2019 be promoted to the board at Everton.

Lets have a look at his signings and fees paid.

Richarlison - 40 Million

Mina - 28 Million

Digne - 18 Million

Gomes - 22 Million

Zouma - Loan

Iwobi - 35 Million

Kean - 25 Million

Gbamin - 22 Million

Delph - 8 million

Lossl - Free

Sidibe - Loan

Allan - 21 million

Godfrey - 20 Million

Doucoure - 20 Million

Rodriguez - Free

Nkounkou - Free

King - Nominal Fee

Olsen - Loan

Gray - 1.7 Million

Townsend - Free

Begovic - Free

Rondon - Free

Lonergan - Free

One of his success stories of his time at Everton was to get the club to sign off on making a documentary about him and to pay his ex colleagues and friends to speak about him.

As one of his Dutch friends said at the end of the Documentary " We need to have patience with him, let him build a system so he leaves something behind "

Well in December 2021 he left after 3 years and 6 months in the role. Position wise he took over the club that finished in 8th and he left with the club on the edge of the relegation zone. He also left us with a wages to turnover ratio of 95%.

Please discuss what you think about his time at the club.

For me he was just a Dutch Steve Walsh who also thought he was a part time model for TK Maxx.

Last edited:
Tough to judge some of the individual signings as I doubt he had much to do with signing guys like Allan, Rodriguez, Rondon.

You could say that he suffered from poor leadership. You could also say that he didn’t convince leadership of his plans.

The only grade is fail.

The tenure of Steve " He discovered a 30 year old Zola " Walsh came to an end in May of 2018.

He was replaced in June by Marcel Brands who had a succesful spell of the DOF role at PSV. At the time of joining Everton had just finished 8th in the league.

Armed with an open cheque book and a new manager in Marco Silva the aim was to progress Everton back up league and qualification for Europe.

As expected, we as fans got excited ( Just like when Steve Walsh joined ) and hyped him up so much he became Marcel " He takes what he wants " Brands after the signing of Moise Kean. He would in 2019 be promoted to the board at Everton.

Lets have a look at his signings and fees paid.

Richarlison - 40 Million

Mina - 28 Million

Digne - 18 Million

Gomes - 22 Million

Zouma - Loan

Iwobi - 35 Million

Kean - 25 Million

Gbamin - 22 Million

Delph - 8 million

Lossl - Free

Sidibe - Loan

Allan - 21 million

Godfrey - 20 Million

Doucoure - 20 Million

Rodriguez - Free

Nkounkou - Free

King - Nominal Fee

Olsen - Loan

Gray - 1.7 Million

Townsend - Free

Begovic - Free

Rondon - Free

Lonergan - Free

One of his success stories of his time at Everton was to get the club to sign off on making a documentary about him and to pay his ex colleagues and friends to speak about him.

As one of his Dutch friends said at the end of the Documentary " We need to have patience with him, let him build a system so he leaves something behind "

Well in December 2021 he left after 3 years and 6 months in the role. Position wise he took over the club that finished in 8th and he left with the club on the edge of the relegation zone. He also left us with a wages to turnover ratio of 95%.

Please discuss what you think about his time at the club.

For me he was just a Dutch Steve Walsh who also thought he was a part time model for TK Maxx.

Most of those were probably Moshiri signings.

I personally can't separate Moshiri from really the majority of Brands's failures as he has success before and now after at PSV. I do think one major caveat left out in his tenure was the youth ban in signings. Brands was brought in in large part to replicate the internal development of the youth squads that was so successful at Eindhoven. That ban limited drastically the youth level recruitment.

Did we spend too much for immediacy yes. But I always got the thought in his deals he was trying to split the difference in what he envisioned and what Moshiri wanted. And the 2nd half was simply completing managers signings having been overruled completely

Listen it was a huge waist. He should have been far more stringent on the potential downfalls of such deals. The target age cast offs from larger clubs was straight stupid in relation to wage bills and sell ons. He was poor and maybe was never going to. do well. But I honestly think we overruled almost from the outset a real DoF model and still are. A fact that's still allowing managers to dictate transfer policy for completely conflicting tactics and styles every year.

I think our owner has always had a sky sports obsession with glitz in running a club oppose to an overarching sustainable model. We made decisions to win headlines and ultimately have paid the price. Brands should have done better but his successes before and after make me look at the common denominator more. As the problems just got worse after Brands left.

Status
Not open for further replies.