The Americans are coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean when you consider some of the lower key American purchases in recent time like Swansea and Burnley, where they’re in it, solely to grab the profits, there could be a lot worse than Moshiri.

Sadly, Moshiri is stil abysmal.
There are plenty worse than Moshiri.

I think it was the great @davek who made the salient point that of the two typical takeover types: oligarchs/sovereign wealth funds on one side and US Capitalists on the other, that the only one that really works for a club like us is the former. The latter are in it for profit. The former have other agendas, i.e., sportswashing.

Moshiri has, in general, been an atrocious judge when big decisions needed to be made. He made them, but badly. The only appointment he got right was Ancelotti - which was an incredible bit of work. As it proved. But he has always provided the funds, and it seems he is determined to provide the stadium. Could he be better? Of course. Could he be worse? Absolutely. Imagine a Mike Ashley at Goodison - or American asset-strippers looking for the quick buck. If we can stay up over the coming seasons and arrive in to a new stadium in the top flight, Moshiri will go down as an historic figure in the club. For the right reasons.

His challenge is to build that stadium and ensure we stay in the top flight as it happens.

I think it was the great @davek who made the salient point that of the two typical takeover types: oligarchs/sovereign wealth funds on one side and US Capitalists on the other, that the only one that really works for a club like us is the former. The latter are in it for profit. The former have other agendas, i.e., sportswashing.

Moshiri has, in general, been an atrocious judge when big decisions needed to be made. He made them, but badly. The only appointment he got right was Ancelotti - which was an incredible bit of work. As it proved. But he has always provided the funds, and it seems he is determined to provide the stadium. Could he be better? Of course. Could he be worse? Absolutely. Imagine a Mike Ashley at Goodison - or American asset-strippers looking for the quick buck. If we can stay up over the coming seasons and arrive in to a new stadium in the top flight, Moshiri will go down as an historic figure in the club. For the right reasons.

His challenge is to build that stadium and ensure we stay in the top flight as it happens.

???

Future generations of Evertonians will think of Moshiri as one of the club greats which is what makes the hatred of him by some baffling to me.

Glazers
Kroenke
Lerner
Short
Khan
Hicks and Gillette
Burnleys owners

FSG fluked out on Klopp - when he leaves you'll see FSG OUT protests again from the RS as they are tight arses.

Not to defend any of these, but grading ownership is a bit of a weird thing, isn't it? Who exactly are the good owners in world football? I'll start by positing this, if you have to "invest" hundreds of millions to achieve success and then it all goes away when you walk away yourself, at least one (or maybe all) of the following is broken: the league, your club, your ownership.

I think I thought I'd lost patience with Moshiri but with a few recent appointments here and there maybe I'll (foolishly perhaps) give him one more roll of the dice. Admittedly, the new stadium is giving him a lot of latitude from my point of view but his footy decisions have been awful, in the main. If he can let football people get on with football matters, then who knows? We might have a brighter future. Maybe it was Usmanov who was calling the shots and now it is Moshiri. God alone knows what's going on in the dysfunctional world of EFC.

I have far more frustration than any other feeling about Moshiri. A huge opportunity has been squandered.

The stadium should be coming off the back of a much improved and sustainable league position, only we have gone significantly backwards.

He must bear responsibility. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The stadium will be something he can rightly take maximum credit for seeing as he seems to be paying for it. But it could and should have been so much better besides.

you have outdone yourself again,
hes the chairman ffs!
No one apart from them really know the dynamics in the board room.
My best guess is moshiri gets involved in decisions that he shouldn’t.
I see his point, it’s only got ridiculous since the owner has been on the scene…

???

Future generations of Evertonians will think of Moshiri as one of the club greats which is what makes the hatred of him by some baffling to me.
The crux of the hate is the reported ease in which he is guided by people like joorabchian and their ilk. If he had supported the club with the funds he has but not got involved with the actual football side of it there would be absolutely nowhere near the level of hate and vitriol given to him as there is now. The biggest mistake he made in my eyes was bringing in Benitez (whether you supported him or not) as it was always going to be a massive polarising appointment that was always going to end the way it did.

So, are there actually any US bidders, or is this all just a flight of fancy?
Just more of the far away hills are green syndrome.

However, I do believe that the pre season trips to America will help raise our profile a little over there which in the longer term if Moshiri ever does decide to sell may help.
Duncan will probably not be thrilled.

The crux of the hate is the reported ease in which he is guided by people like joorabchian and their ilk. If he had supported the club with the funds he has but not got involved with the actual football side of it there would be absolutely nowhere near the level of hate and vitriol given to him as there is now. The biggest mistake he made in my eyes was bringing in Benitez (whether you supported him or not) as it was always going to be a massive polarising appointment that was always going to end the way it did.

His biggest mistake IMO was setting up an incoherent administrative structure that saw the club spending huge cash split between Steve Walsh's ignorance and Ronald Koeman's hubris. It should have been klaxons all around when the club bought Rooney, Klassen, and [Redacted] in the same window, but too many of us (myself included) were too eager to see the club spending money and weren't paying attention. He retained this incoherence in successive appointments and what we saw with Brands and Benitez was simply a symptom of Moshiri's complete lack of sense on how to run an organization (any organization, not just a football club).

Maybe in his own hubris Moshiri thought it would be easy to operate a football club. Just throw money at the problem and it will go away. It's entirely possible that the club stays up and Moshiri takes his heard earned lesson and builds from here. But I think for most of us, Moshiri will be remembered by that gif of him reading his phone during the game--quite aloof and unaware what was going on his entire tenure at the helm of EFC.

Not to defend any of these, but grading ownership is a bit of a weird thing, isn't it? Who exactly are the good owners in world football? I'll start by positing this, if you have to "invest" hundreds of millions to achieve success and then it all goes away when you walk away yourself, at least one (or maybe all) of the following is broken: the league, your club, your ownership.
Leicesters

Actually bothered to read a bit about Moshiri today - he's no idiot but he seems to have been very impulsive with his approach to Everton - as if spending money alone was enough.

His wealth came almost entirely from Russia so it will be interesting to see how that affects the ownership moving forward - perhaps he'll have to be more frugal and he'll have to sell eventually too.

Status
Not open for further replies.