Homepage Update: Ted Sagar Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading Faith of Our Families at the moment. Lots of anecdotes about Ted Sagar, including one where he had a quick smoke in the dressing room prior to the 1933 cup final.
It's a great read, and really puts flesh on the bones of all of the characters and players about which you've heard but knew little.

..enjoyable read. I didn’t know he represented England and N Ireland (probably because of the war), or that he ran the Blue Anchor in Aintree. From photographs, he always looks small for a goalkeeper and I imagine he was a brilliant shot stopper. Nice that he is still being spoke about.

Oh dear lord
Some sort of problem mate?

Reading Faith of Our Families at the moment. Lots of anecdotes about Ted Sagar, including one where he had a quick smoke in the dressing room prior to the 1933 cup final.
It's a great read, and really puts flesh on the bones of all of the characters and players about which you've heard but knew little.

Yeah just started his one myself.

Shout, good thread mate.

Welcome relief.
Thanks, I should point out that I didn't actually write the article, I'm just pointing people in the direction of it. Always good to recall club legends of yesteryear.

enjoyed the read , way before my time , Grandad and Uncle Frank would have seen him

always great to catch up on our legends of the past , being a keeper in his day must have been very tough , less protection and the ball used must have been a nightmare to handle

One of my heroes when I first started going to the game, in a poor team just after the war he was vital to the team, saving
us in many games and seasons before we finally went down in 1951. I think the reason Ted played at Plymouth, in his final league game was because Jimmy O'Neill was away playing for Eire ( as they were called at the time ). The game at Goodison when he played his last game, in The Liverpool Senior Cup versus Tranmere, I remember Ted being presented with a cheque in the Main stand for his loyalty to the club, I believe it was for a £1,000, Everton won the game 4-1 if I am correct.

enjoyed the read , way before my time , Grandad and Uncle Frank would have seen him

always great to catch up on our legends of the past , being a keeper in his day must have been very tough , less protection and the ball used must have been a nightmare to handle
Because I saw the 62-63 team onward I always feel sorry for the younger supporters who have never seen a successful side, but then your Grandad,Uncle and my Dad saw Sagar and Dean.

Because I saw the 62-63 team onward I always feel sorry for the younger supporters who have never seen a successful side, but then your Grandad,Uncle and my Dad saw Sagar and Dean.

I started going from 69/70 with my Dad but was still a kid so a lot of it is still a blur , but as you say really feel sorry for the younger supporters , my sons included who only have the 1995 FACF to cling onto

Status
Not open for further replies.