Swansea City Vs. Everton - CO Cup 3rd Round - Tuesday 23rd Sept - 19:45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was just mental, let's just go out of this comp and go on from there. let's face it, our seconds are not good enough to win it, and there's just no validation for playing the first team at the expense of the league/Europa

you have to laugh at just how bad that goal was!

I found this letter re weak defending. It could well have been written by Roberto at the moment!

Well we've had mixed success since my original post. The very next game we played, we won 3-0. I moved player 3 back to stopper for half the game and used player 9 at stopper in the second half. The boys played great and I thought that I'd finally cracked the code on where to have the different boys play.

The next week however, the massacres resumed. We were scheduled to play a team that by all means, we could have played even, or based on our play the previous week, beat. We lost 5-1. My boys played with no energy at all and I found it extremely frustrating watching them rotate in place as they watched the other team run between them. At least half if not more of the team was playing as spectators. Most of the goals were scored because my defenders were out of position and not attacking the ball.

We lost our game this last weekend by 8-0. I started off playing my stronger players in the opening quarters to try and keep the score down and the morale up. We were playing the number one team and we started off playing them fairly evenly, but we couldn't convert on anything in front of the goal, because our offensive players weren't in position and we gave up three goals in the first half because our defenders were out of position. Once again, we had a lot of spectating on the field and after a while the defenders I had, who weren't playing very aggressive to begin with, stopped playing completely. I had to take one player out because he actually stopped moving, it was like watching the Bad News Bears play soccer. Towards the end, even my good players were giving up.

I am obviously not being very effective in my coaching. What are some activities I can do to try and help the boys play their positions? We cover it in practice regularly but it doesn't seem to be sinking in? Also, what are your thoughts on even play for the kids? I have enough good players that I could mount a fairly good team, but usually half the team at any one time is on the not so skilled side. I'm trying to give everyone close to equal time, but when kids are not trying I think I should take them out (I have not been doing this as it would mean some players are going to sit almost all the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.