Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a period where they had Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry, King, Carragher, Woodgate and then Jagielka/Lescott waiting in the wings. Before that, there was Adams, Keown and Southgate with the younger Campbell and Ferdinand. That's a lot of high quality competition for such a small country to produce.

Now, they've got Keane and Maguire competing to partner John Stones, who couldn't mark a coupon.
Stones isnt any worse than Carragher. Different styles but similar level imo.

Yeah the past was better. But I'm not sure why it's being romanticized like some kind of golden age. The biggest difference is I think the addition of more foreign players has made it clearer that the English options aren't always as top level as was thought.

Yeah the past was better. But I'm not sure why it's being romanticized like some kind of golden age. The biggest difference is I think the addition of more foreign players has made it clearer that the English options aren't always as top level as was thought.

The game has changed dramatically. Footy is pretty much a non-contact sport these days and the art of tackling and winning strong headed challenges has been frozen out of the game thanks to deception being allowed to run free. The notion of a strong British-style centre half is now almost consigned to nostalgia.

There are one or two notable exceptions in the game still, and although it pains me to say it, VVD is the most notable.

I do not disagree Nymzee but we need to save wages more than raise cash. If we can save £2-3m pa doing it we just might. Particularly if Gala agree to a sell-on. Onyekuru has refused 2 moves & had 3 work permit applications rejected. He’s a giant headache at this point.

He’s a very tiny headache mate - he cost us £7m and is on a pittance of a wage.

Hard to compare those two, I think. Stones is about as composed as could be in possession, but I think he's regressed massively as a defender. Carragher was basic, but what he did well, he did very well.

Having said all that, the foreign defenders aren't up to much now, either. It feels like the amount of slapstick goals has gone through the roof recently, even at the top sides.

Utd especially. Pogba clearly wants out and they seem to be all over the place.
Chelsea are relying heavily on Pulisic to be a hit - he’s looked very good preseason unfortunately.
Arsenal from being the weakest suddenly look ok just from getting Pepe as their front 3 looks amazing and they’ll score tons.

Chelsea should be more concerned about their manager than their playing staff. Their problems will stem from fat Frank as he stumbles with tactics and team selections. Losing Hazard is massive - he won them soooo many points last season. Pulisic looks good but we'll see how he does in competitive EPL matches, where he will have no time or space unless he creates them for himself.

Arsenal have always looked great in attack, it's their defence that needs serious work and I don't think they have strengthened that area yet. Therefore I believe they will score goals for fun this season but also leak lots.

Utd are as you say all over the place - Losing Pogba will be a big blow. Maguire is solid but not the most mobile Centre Half, Bailly has a major injury so that's them weakened at the back, however it's the lack of quality in their midfield that will be their downfall this season, that and the inexperience of OGS.

Hard to compare those two, I think. Stones is about as composed as could be in possession, but I think he's regressed massively as a defender. Carragher was basic, but what he did well, he did very well.

Having said all that, the foreign defenders aren't up to much now, either. It feels like the amount of slapstick goals has gone through the roof recently, even at the top sides.
Disagree with that. Van Dijk, Laporte, Vertonghen and Alderweireld all compare favorably to any in recent years. Even Rudiger, Sanchez and Zouma are all pretty decent. I think the idea that defenders aren't good anymore is overblown.

Anyway on transfers I'd definitely be shopping abroad for CBs if the going price for Englishmen is 25m for championship defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.