Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
...I honestly don’t have a problem buying young players like this. It’s a strategy that has worked out very well, Stones alone bringing £50m into the club, DCL a regular who only cost £1m. Most will fail, but we have to accept that.

The examples you give are both English players who don't have to uproot their lives to join us. Sometimes you have to think about the player as well and not just what we want as fans. The signings of Leandro Rodriguez and Shani Tarashaj honestly set fire to both of their careers (whatever careers they would have achieved, I obviously can't say) but they were utterly pointless signings who were never going to make it here.

Of course in football, you have to gamble sometimes, but seriously, signing a guy like Rodriguez (likely on the word of a scout/agent looking to make a quick buck) from Uruguay, who probably couldn't speak a word of English only to abandon him in one of our youth groups and then loaning him out to god knows where with no support structure in place all within the space of about 18 months...

Same with Tarashaj as well, you can't convince me that both signings weren't moronic from the very beginning.

The examples you give are both English players who don't have to uproot their lives to join us. Sometimes you have to think about the player as well and not just what we want as fans. The signings of Leandro Rodriguez and Shani Tarashaj honestly set fire to both of their careers (whatever careers they would have achieved, I obviously can't say) but they were utterly pointless signings who were never going to make it here.

Of course in football, you have to gamble sometimes, but seriously, signing a guy like Rodriguez (likely on the word of a scout/agent looking to make a quick buck) from Uruguay, who probably couldn't speak a word of English only to abandon him in one of our youth groups and then loaning him out to god knows where with no support structure in place all within the space of about 18 months...

Same with Tarashaj as well, you can't convince me that both signings weren't moronic from the very beginning.

...it’s easy talking with hindsight, but you’re right that it is more difficult for foreign youngsters to settle, but we buy less of them and it’s a market others clubs have had more of an established insight into.

Rodriguez and Tarashaj failures was probably more about them not being good enough, but i’m still a big believer in this strategy. The U23 success is as much down to acquisitions than Academy products (Gibson, Hornby, Adeniran, Marcelo, Virginia, Bowler et al). Lookman, Vlasic, Galloway and Holgate have been around the fringes of the first team in recent seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.