Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
....amazing what a difference a top striker can make to a team.
That's fair. But I don't think our midfield or wingers are at the level that a top striker immediately pushes us to the top 4 race. Plus Seamus is clearly closing in on his last years.

While I don't think we have a bad squad we also arent talented enough to sign no one and expect to move up the table. Maybe we won't spend 100 million but regardless of outgoings there needs to be 3 or 4 in coming players after Gomes and Zouma to move us forward.

I don't think there's any expectation that we have to move up the table before these issues are addressed. If we achieve more it will be organically. See the benefits that we have reaped from having a settled side for the past three months. After the wobble where much of the issue was down to fitness and workrate (not ability), we've been exceptional. This is the tune Silva will demand from those same players come August

I don’t really want a sugary soft drink’s reserve player.
He is a really good player, can do a bit of everything and play anywhere across the front 3, but yes he does'nt probably score enough but then he has'nt played as much this season tbf to him. I actually posted back during the winter window about us watching this guy after somebody had told me so im kind of hoping we do sign him otherwise im going to look like a muppet

We're currently sitting on essentially dead contracts costing somewhere north of £30m per year in wages.
Brands has clearly stated that the focus is to move these players off the books BEFORE any major overhauls can be undertaken.

I'm sure if the opportunity arises then Zouma or Gomes will be signed to supplement a now settled squad; and there are clear positions where we need cover or enhancement. Look at underachieving once heralded starlets, one or two prospects and maybe a loanee or two again to fill these gaps.

The focus will surely be on letting Silva work with the wealth of talented youth we have and developing them further. Yet everyone is again getting carried away with wistful lists fantastical signings that just aren't going to happen. Due to the piss poor position and bloated squad Brands has at the club the money isn't there to embark of a £100m+ spending spree.

Now, in three years time. With a new stadium, a streamlined squad and an increased revenue pipeline....now you're talking.

Fair points but Silva has said a few times that targets have been identified weeks ago and that he hopes to get the players in early, we have a loan facility that could provide funds temporarily until players are sold.

The answer to your concern is sign a proper striker, our most immediate needs. Not some winger at the lowest point in form and confidence and likely needing 10 games or more to rediscover his rhythm. Such luxury game time that was not given to Lookman this season. I would like to think ambition would be signing someone at a level higher than Richarlison, not a loanee struggling with form.

Was watching celta vigo against Barcelona couple of weeks back, with Barcelona fielding a second string, one would have thought Malcom will make an impact amongst the youth and reserve players but no. No impact at all and a shadow of the player we’ve seen a year ago, and he is consistently poor this season.
We need striker as well as another wide player. And this time last year we all would have been over the moon with Malcolm, look how Coutinho is performing at Barca, so you’re saying you wouldn’t have him. Look at the wide players we have also been linked with. Neres, Lozano and Berjwjyn all from the Dutch league. Sarr from the French league. There is questions marks over how they would get on in the prem.

And you’re point regarding Malcolm and how he’s struggled and lacking confidence. Digne & Gomes were in exactly the same boat last season. They’ve done quite well for us wouldn’t you say.

Tielemans I don't think is our answer, either. Lovely with the ball, generates much more offense than does Gomes, amazing shooter from distance, but he had a huge advantage having Maddison and Ndidi running around making plays all over for him. He's slow, not particularly active without the ball, so just don't see him being a fit. Assuming Sigi and Gana are staying, just think we need something a bit different.

Tielemans I don't think is our answer, either. Lovely with the ball, generates much more offense than does Gomes, amazing shooter from distance, but he had a huge advantage having Maddison and Ndidi running around making plays all over for him. He's slow, not particularly active without the ball, so just don't see him being a fit. Assuming Sigi and Gana are staying, just think we need something a bit different.
Having him and Sigurdsson would put an insane amount of pressure on Gueye to cover ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.