Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
....I think a key aspect of Silva’s game plan is footballers who are comfortable and keep possession, especially away from home against tougher opposition. Bernard is technically excellent and very confident in his own ability. When the team are under the cosh, Bernard and Gomes are brave in possession. Silva trusts them.

Lookman is unreliable, even in cameos. I like him lots, but I understand why Silva overlooks him. He’s more of a conventional winger, who’ll take full backs on, hit crosses in the box and has more scoring potential than Bernard, but in the context of team effectiveness Bernard is on a different level.

I absolutely guarantee if you’re a teammate, you’re delighted when Bernard takes to the pitch alongside you.
It just feels to me like all of those skills are replaceable. I find it hard to believe that there aren't other players who can keep the ball, work hard, and relieve some pressure. Even if Lookman isn't that player it feels like we can find a player in that role who offers those things and also gives us more goal production. I say I'd take Lookman because I just think his traits are more valuable.

All Silva has said (once, in March time) was that Lookman needed to show more in training.

Since then Lookman has come on in pretty much every game. In the last two games he's done very well. Was a few inches off scoring a banger v Burnley.

If he goes, he goes. It'd be a shame cause he's quite clearly a talent. But all this talk that he's definitely a sulker, definitely got an attitude problem etc. It's nonsense.

If nearly 'scoring a banger' is your season highlight then you've clearly not done very much.

No PL goals this season and in truth, a few glimpses of quality aside, there's nothing we would miss too much if he moved on. Definitely replaceable.

Next season our target should be a top six finish... or better.
We will need to sign players that are good enough to play at this level or have the potential to do so.
Equally , the players we keep need to have the same potential.
I can actually imagine Bernard playing in a Man City team with his brilliant control, positioning and work rate. We have seen with the Silva's that size is not all important there.
Walcott, although he can be underwhelming at times does bring real pace to our attack and going forward I can see him being used more an more as an impact sub rather than a regular starter.
Richarlison has enormous potential and would be welcomed into every squad in the premiership.
When I look at Lookman I think he is a player that has a long way to go yet and in particular in some parts of his game. I think he may be a player that is brilliant when he feels on form but very average on the days he isn't up for it and I think that is what Marco Silva was talking about earlier in the season.
A manager needs to know more or less what he can expect from a player every day he starts a game, rather than waiting to see which version has turned up.

If nearly 'scoring a banger' is your season highlight then you've clearly not done very much.

No PL goals this season and in truth, a few glimpses of quality aside, there's nothing we would miss too much if he moved on. Definitely replaceable.
He only got 600 minutes or there abouts this season. It's still hard for me to write him off especially when we really are weak on creative players in the squad.

I'm serious. I think Bernard has been the most overrated player in the squad this year. The skills he does bring are the most replaceable for his position and he doesn't do the most important stuff.

You have seen him play? Closest thing to Limpar I’ve seen he’s absolute class

Sorry but you are chatting utter rubbish here mate. Did you watch any of the games during the last part of the season?
I did and do you know how many goals and assists combined I saw from Bernard? One! In the run from the Goodison derby to the end of the year he scored the tap in at West Ham and that's it. And it wasn't like he was hugely unlucky to not have more.

I can't believe Evertonians by an large are so seduced by a fancy flick here and a nice one-two there. The lad produced zero end product. We aren't going up the league with hard working attacking players who don't produce.

I did and do you know how many goals and assists combined I saw from Bernard? One! In the run from the Goodison derby to the end of the year he scored the tap in at West Ham and that's it. And it wasn't like he was hugely unlucky to not have more.

I can't believe Evertonians by an large are so seduced by a fancy flick here and a nice one-two there. The lad produced zero end product. We aren't going up the league with hard working attacking players who don't produce.
But you would rather have Lookman who sat on the bench all season? Makes sense that. Bernard was easily one of our best players the back end of the season. Yes he needs to improve on them stats and think he will next season. His work rate is fantastic as well.

I'm serious. I think Bernard has been the most overrated player in the squad this year. The skills he does bring are the most replaceable for his position and he doesn't do the most important stuff.

Its true little Bernie needs to add more to his game, but hes been amazing for me, of course he needs to score more, but im hopeful that as he adapts a bit more he will become a real player.

I wouldn't totally wave the white flag at Bernard but i see where people are coming from, its like Pienaar he had little end product but played a function role, i was always left a bit frustrated with Pienaar and Bernard because with both their talents they should have more end product, thats not to say they are not creative. Ultimately Digne and Baines had more end product, while they have functionally creative roles, i still think both have/had the talent to improve their bottom lines though.

That's not all he does though? He's one of the most hard working players on the pitch, Constantly tracking back while being a threat further up the pitch, Yes he's choked a lot in front of the goal but he gets a pass for me since its his first season in the league, He's absolutely key to this team and that's not even accounting for his trickery.

While Coleman has had a decent few months his final ball, cross aren’t good enough. Full backs in the modern game are so important, just look at Liverpool’s 2.

A RB on the same level as Digne or even better would make a huge difference to our team. I’m not a sentimental fan so I do really care he cost 60k or hes come back from bad injury. If there is better out there then we should go and get them.
That doesn't change the fact that he is not priority (as he was maybe considered 3 months ago when he was completely off his game). His final delivery has always been crap, but he was, and still is, one of the top 7/8 right backs in the league. Yes we would like a right footed Digne in the ideal world, and if our budget stretches that far in the summer then great. But top of our list has to be a striker, CB and CM, followed by a second CM and a replacement for Walcott.

Sentimentality and how much he cost doesn't come into it. The simple fact is that, based on his form for the past 3 months, we have higher priorities.

I agree he should be more productive in the final third but as has been said he's crucial to our way of playing and is often a live wire or relieving pressure when we are soaking it up, he also works back hard something Lookman will never do. I think you are being slightly harsh as I think next year will be the time to fully judge him as he came in with no preseason into a different type of league and a team that doesn't always produce many clear chances. I expect and hope to see more cutting edge from him next season but then you could also accuse others of not producing that too(DCL, Walcott, Tosun et all). He brings a lot of other things to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.