Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't rate Baines mate anymore, hasn't pace, doesn't get forward anymore because of it and is poor at stopping crosses into the box.

I think the whole "Can do a job" mentality is what will keep us sat in 7th next season at best, as we really need to pull out all the stops to go any higher.

I wouldn't mind Baines starting if we signed a Van Dijk for example to slot into CB, but Williams and Baines on that left hand side give us zero pace or mobility.

He's always been poor at stopping crosses, even in his prime. And he will lose some pace as he gets older but his quality on the ball is still there. Against Genk he was getting forward a lot but got over looked a lot when he was in good positions. And that's just a fans mentality, it won't be the players or manager. Koeman proper rates Baines still so won't be looking to replace him yet.

I know what your saying about having both Williams and Baines down the left isn't the most mobile of combos but that's where the DM and winger come into play and do their bit whilst defending to help plug gaps and not leave us short. I think we'll be more than fine mate at the back this season.

2cxi45j.jpg

Some people are wondering why we're focussing on bringing in more attacking players instead of another CB or LB. I think if you look at the stats between us and the top 4 you can maybe get an idea why.

If we'd conceded only 5 less goals last season, we'd have had the 3rd best defence in the league.

2prcrpz.jpg

In contrast, to have become the 3rd highest scoring team we'd have to have scored 18 more goals.

Imo, that's why Koeman is concentrating on improving our attacking options still.

I get why some people want a better player than Williams but I think it's really harsh to say he's a liability. He's a good defender, maybe not a great one but our defence isn't the biggest thing that's stopping us from making top 4 at present.

Thinking about it tbh, does seem like we are sell to buy. Hear me out here, Lukaku deal must've been sorted ages ago which is why we got these deals in early. Rooney will be Lukaku's replacement and Giroud looks like this year's Witsel - we won't sign another CF, worryingly.

Spending has suddenly just dried up following the Lukaku departure - if money really was no object we would've sorted the Gylfi deal much earlier as well as a new LB. I reckon we're trying to find buyers for Barkley etc. before progressing with those. Hope I'm wrong but that seems the way it is atm. Very fishy.
I'm afraid that this is worryingly close to being spot on.

2cxi45j.jpg

Some people are wondering why we're focussing on bringing in more attacking players instead of another CB or LB. I think if you look at the stats between us and the top 4 you can maybe get an idea why.

If we'd conceded only 5 less goals last season, we'd have had the 3rd best defence in the league.

2prcrpz.jpg

In contrast, to have become the 3rd highest scoring team we'd have to have scored 18 more goals.

Imo, that's why Koeman is concentrating on improving our attacking options still.

I get why some people want a better player than Williams but I think it's really harsh to say he's a liability. He's a good defender, maybe not a great one but our defence isn't the biggest thing that's stopping us from making top 4 at present.
Looking at those pie charts, Spurs must be wondering how they never won the league. Scored the most goals and conceded the fewest, yet only finished second. Surely that has to be a 'first'.
Keane and Pickford will help our defence, although baines and Williams are another year older. It remains to be seen whether sandro and Rooney can get us those extra goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.