Stuck In The Middle With You: Whither the Everton Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimHowardsBeardJuice

Player Valuation: £30m
Lots of discussion going on in the Onana, Iwobi, and Gueye threads. Let's talk about the group.

Most here would agree with these:

• We have better players in the group than we did last season
  • We actually have some depth - Gueye, Iwobi, Onana, Garner, Doucore, Davies - the players who were starting last season are now at the end of the bench
  • Iwobi has been our best player or close to it for some time going back to the relegation stretch, but has been poor the past couple of games
  • Onana is clearly talented but also raw
  • Garner is even less experienced, seems to be talented, but hasn't had a shot yet
  • We have stiffened defensively, it's not as easy to play through our middle as it was
  • Our transition from defence to attack is still dire, this group hasn't figured out how to feed the attack

Most imporantly:

• this group is not playing together well enough, consistently enough.

There have been some good moments and good games. I thought they controlled the middle of the park in the derby, for one. But in our little losing streak here, they're not singing off the same sheet music. There is no group identity or cohesion, yet. They don't keep shape. They are not passing well amongst themselves. I don't get the sense that they step on the pitch knowing how to work together.

Yet.

Frank the midfielder whisperer will coach up the players individually, I have no doubt about that. Frank the tactician and game day manager, I love Frank but I don't like how we set up and play sometimes, especially here. I scratch my head a lot.

What should be done here? Different players starting? Change of shape? More subs? Just give it time?

No he hasn't. Was very decent tonight. Yes sloppy with passing at times like the rest of them but protects the defence very well. How many times tonight did he nick the ball.....plenty
We cant score goals if he cant find another teammate from a few steps away. I'm fed up making excuses for rubbish football. He wasnt needed, he was a short sighted signing, and he needs to be dropped.

Sure up that midfield with 4. 4 4 2. We have the players for it now
I was considering this. Maupay and DCL together could work well, with a tricky player on the floor and a classic 9.

What the 4 would be, I don't know.

Our wingers have been inconsistent to be kind.

Maybe a 4-2-3-1, with Gueye and Onana, then Iwobi with two wingers or midfielders, then DCL? That would work better with Patterson (altho everything would work better with Patterson)

Status
Not open for further replies.