Stoke fan here in peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic, but I've seen you mention this subbuteo league before and I'm genuinely interested. How did it work? Was it all just a case of using your imagination or was there some sort of system to it? I'm intrigued.

Cheers.
Bernard supplies the kits.

Off topic, but I've seen you mention this subbuteo league before and I'm genuinely interested. How did it work? Was it all just a case of using your imagination or was there some sort of system to it? I'm intrigued.

Cheers.
It started with me and 2 mates, when we were kids choosing 2 teams each to make a league - I chose Everton and Wolves. Every weekend we'd play out 10 minute fixtures and record results. As we played we realised the plastic figures had different 'skill levels' during to balance and this had a knock on effect with our psychology and confidence - for example, if I had Adrian Heath with the ball in front of goal I KNEW I'd score and shot with confidence (until my mate trod on him) :rant: :red:.
Then of course, transfers - each club had a pot of money to start with - and starting with real squads we bought whoever we wanted to suit our team - except me who has always kept everton exactly as it was. We agreed what every player was worth when any one if us wanted to sign him. Of course that money went down. It needed an income, so based on the size of stadium, we calculated a weekly income at £2 per head entrance fee. Players were painted the correct colours (which sometimes effected their balance, sometimes improving sometimes worsening them) and so squads grew - giving variety in the way they could play.

In due course I got hooked on playing when we went our separate ways for uni I naturally took a few of my teams with me I the hope I might find other people interested, or just to keep my 'finger in'. Eventually I found I could just play fixtures against myself, 3even started recording which players played each game in a paper spreadsheet having made up a league of teams that interested me and played on.

And couldn't stop!

Transfers evolved too - I found myself asking 'would such a player want to come to that club? Well if they were paid more? So next to their names I recorded how much each player might be paid- ranging in the early days from £500 a match to £2 for Gary Lineker. To fund these I added prize monies to gate receipts - for winning the cup etc. This was awful, as the prize monies were too great meaning in the early 90s I started getting one or two teams dominating the transfer market, buying up the best players. It was ok for a while, and Everton and Wolves built up dynasties but then it got boring. I realised what the problem was and slashed prize money. After a few seasons it levelled out the wealth then the squads and my leagues became much more exciting and less predictable again.

I never kept up with football inflation completely. Of course player values went up - I remember having to pay £500,000 to get Dave Watson from Norwich off my mate and pay him 1.5k a week -a sum that nearly crippled Everton. Now a top player such as Messi at Stoke, cost £20million and he's on £12k a week. An average player might go for £5 million and be on a still generous 5k a week - I mean - who needs that kind of money? Gate fees have crept up to £4 a week to sustain such rash spending!

There is no way I'd set up a system like this now I'm in my 50s ffs! But you cant simply say - I'm not doing another season when you have 36, 37 years of tradition and records to continue!! It's all simple now - its on computer spreadsheets which do the maths for me, and I no longer have to scrabble around after bits of plastic since the league transferred to Pro Evo.

A while back I collated the history of every teams prizes; league table, FA cup, league cups, European cups and made a spreadsheet to calculate the best sides through history with a ranking system. Its Everton obviously - but for me the European ban never happened, that great team of the 80s played on and on. Stoke weigh in at 2nd after their dynasty 90s-2000s and Wolves who have had a measure of success too. Derby came into my league 12 years ago after an FA cup win and I developed a soft spot for them and slowly built up their squad over the years - now they're a fixture in the european cup (which you ONLY get in by winning the league or by winning the cup - an ACTUAL champions competition.

Last edited:

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – nothing really, had a run of picking up points, being hard to beat, and breaking arsenal players, got ideas above their station, back to their rightful place now
  2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?Arnautovic and shaquiri always seemed to turn up against us
  3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving? Hated the goodison game where Arnautovic scored the winner with a pen. Loved geri tearing you a new one, and super kev's goal that started off in our own half
  4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? None, standard boring away fans
  5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions? Only ever driven past, looks cheap and outdated

It started with me and 2 mates, when we were kids choosing 2 teams each to make a league - I chose Everton and Wolves. Every weekend we'd play out 10 minute fixtures and record results. As we played we realised the plastic figures had different 'skill levels' during to balance and this had a knock on effect with our psychology and confidence - for example, if I had Adrian Heath with the ball in front of goal I KNEW I'd score and shot with confidence (until my mate trod on him) :rant: :red:.
Then of course, transfers - each club had a pot of money to start with - and starting with real squads we bought whoever we wanted to suit our team - except me who has always kept everton exactly as it was. We agreed what every player was worth when any one if us wanted to sign him. Of course that money went down. It needed an income, so based on the size of stadium, we calculated a weekly income at £2 per head entrance fee. Players were painted the correct colours (which sometimes effected their balance, sometimes improving sometimes worsening them) and so squads grew - giving variety in the way they could play.

In due course I got hooked on playing when we went our separate ways for uni I naturally took a few of my teams with me I the hope I might find other people interested, or just to keep my 'finger in'. Eventually I found I could just play fixtures against myself, 3even started recording which players played each game in a paper spreadsheet having made up a league of teams that interested me and played on.

And couldn't stop!

Transfers evolved too - I found myself asking 'would such a player want to come to that club? Well if they were paid more? So next to their names I recorded how much each player might be paid- ranging in the early days from £500 a match to £2 for Gary Lineker. To fund these I added prize monies to gate receipts - for winning the cup etc. This was awful, as the prize monies were too great meaning in the early 90s I started getting one or two teams dominating the transfer market, buying up the best players. It was ok for a while, and Everton and Wolves built up dynasties but then it got boring. I realised what the problem was and slashed prize money. After a few seasons it levelled out the wealth then the squads and my leagues became much more exciting and less predictable again.

I never kept up with football inflation completely. Of course player values went up - I remember having to pay £500,000 to get Dave Watson from Norwich off my mate and pay him 1.5k a week -a sum that nearly crippled Everton. Now a top player such as Messi at Stoke, cost £20million and he's on £12k a week. An average player might go for £5 million and be on a still generous 5k a week - I mean - who needs that kind of money? Gate fees have crept up to £4 a week to sustain such rash spending!

There is no way I'd set up a system like this now I'm in my 50s ffs! But you cant simply say - I'm not doing another season when you have 36, 37 years of tradition and records to continue!! It's all simple now - its on computer spreadsheets which do the maths for me, and I no longer have to scrabble around after bits of plastic since the league transferred to Pro Evo.

A while back I collated the history of every teams prizes; league table, FA cup, league cups, European cups and made a spreadsheet to calculate the best sides through history with a ranking system. Its Everton obviously - but for me the European ban never happened, that great team of the 80s played on and on. Stoke weigh in at 2nd after their dynasty 90s-2000s and Wolves who have had a measure of success too. Derby came into my league 12 years ago after an FA cup win and I developed a soft spot for them and slowly built up their squad over the years - now they're a fixture in the european cup (which you ONLY get in by winning the league or by winning the cup - an ACTUAL champions competition.

Wow!

That is just awesome. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. It sounds very addictive.

And couldn't stop!

You really need to get out more mate. Really.

And couldn't stop!

Are you able to put together a thread to document this on a weekly match basis?

@GrandOldTeam

Would it be ok to post a picture of a lady and her undercarriage so Chris knows what the rest of us fellas did when we outgrew Subbuteo?
5357370814_fe3591e273.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.