Stoke fan here in peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
Tony Pulis was a good match up
  1. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
Gordon Banks, Alan Hudson, Adrian Heath
  1. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?
The one where Duncan Mackenzie ran rings round some poor young lad at Goodison. Loved that one
  1. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
Always come across badly on deadline day. Was good mates with a couple of Stokies a few years ago they had a strong sense of identity to the place
  1. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?
Don't know much about the new place. When I was younger I remember being in Stoke on the odd Saturday. You could hear the noise from the Victoria ground for miles.
@ORFYDUCKMAG

Always hated playing stoke, but that's a compliment to them I suppose, always a hard game, never the most enjoyable game to be sat at on a wet cold winters day but that's what a Pulis team gives you also could never stand those two kopite bells in Crouch and Charlie Adams

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
  2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
  3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?
  4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
  5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?
Answers

1. Well I live in Staffs these days, so I hope Stoke and Port Vale both do well (Not Crewe though. Sod Crewe). I see Stoke as Premier League level club and think it's weird they are in the 2nd tier to be honest

2. The Pulis side with Delap's long throws. I actually enjoyed how that team gave a lot of the bigger sides a bloody nose. I loved Delap's act too, especially when he'd get the towel and wipe the ball etc. Great theatre

3. Main match I remember is when we won 3-2 at The Brit and Moyes got sent to the stand. Wild game, really enjoyed it. We were one of the first sides to properly get "Delapped"

4. Work with a few Stoke fans. They're all sound

5. Never went to Victoria Ground. Brit is okay, but the concourse isn't great and can get crowded easily. Very cold, but so is Vale's ground as well. Must be the way you build em around here

Swear Tony Pulis must’ve had about 400 pairs of the same white trabs in his closet, always remember every time you’d watch them no matter the conditions he’d be wearing the same pristine bright white shoes.

As for his sides, more suited to rugby and shawcross was an utter dog

1. Stoke , at least in the last 10 years have become a club to be despised from your reaction to Ramsey to your anti football tactics to the money grabbing bet 365 sponsors.
2. What we the others questions? Oh it was the fixture that I least looked forward to.
3. Special players ...Stanley Mathews, Gordon Banks George Eastham . Goodnight

2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
  3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?
  4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
  5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

Hello you.

As Staffs Uni alumni I've been to your ground a few times, for pressers and one match.

1. I see Stoke as kind of like Coventry in the 90s. Punching above weight, not classy, but not afraid of giving the big dogs a hiding occasionally. Always amusing watching Wenger do his nut at your place.

2. Shaqiri obviously was/is a bit of a polyp for us. Delap obviously for the throw ins. Brek Shea for being utterly dreadful. Butland massively overrated, ditto Shawcross. Pennant was comical.

3. Watched a 1-1 draw at the Brit in 2012, we shaded it but crap game really. Remember being pushed onto a packed train by a Stoke copper who was obviously bogwashed in school. A lot. Good job I'm a fat blastard well-built chap.

4. Only seen Stoke away (as recalled above) - amps right in front of the away fans was excessive, announcer corny, fans sort of quiet. Though that may have been something to do with Pienaar tearing youse a new one all day.

5. Bit disappointing really. Badly needs a form of transport, but I guess the worldwide demand for crockery isn't great enough to warrant such funding...

Overall 5/10 - if the away fans were beans and the home fans were chips, I'd say using a sausage (three lines of plod) as a breakwater is probably excessive. Just another bog standard gentrified family stadium. Sorry

On the plus side, pressers with Pulis circa 2011 were enjoyable. He was on first name terms with most guys, and never short of a smile.

20200410_224007.jpg

It might hearten you to hear of my subbuteo stoke, which transitioned into my PES stoke in the league I've run since being a kid - 36 seasons I think. I put them into my league because my mate's dad was a stoke fan.
During the mid 90s to 2012 seasons while man u were tearing it up in real life, my stoke team were doing the same. They were unbeatable and have boasted players like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, in their pomp, on the way to being the most successful national and european team in my league (other than everton who had more success pre mid 90s). Stoke have faded a little recently having done an everton with some high priced underperforming players.

Off topic, but I've seen you mention this subbuteo league before and I'm genuinely interested. How did it work? Was it all just a case of using your imagination or was there some sort of system to it? I'm intrigued.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.