Stoke fan here in peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
stoke-deadline-day.jpg

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
  1. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
  1. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?
  1. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
  1. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

@ORFYDUCKMAG
[/QUOTE]

Hi Lee

1 Stoke are 'just stoke. Not a rival, never where in mt opinion. I would never say a non-entity because when the old Victoria ground got going it was pretty noisy. Non-entities don't generate that. Not bad for a team for a town that's essentially a cafe off the M6 :)

2 Kenwynne Jones was a massive pain for a while.

3 can't remember.

4 mentioned the support at the old ground earlier. Also, had a mate i served with in the RAF and I'd go with him on occasion if Everton where not playing. Was the home end called the boothan? Decent.

5 see above.

Cheers

Inappropriate Language
Very inconsistent club. Been decent at times.

Your old ground was much better than the new one. Can't stand the Britannia stadium.

Probably prefer Port vale to be honest.

Stoke is an utter [Poor language removed] hole, but does contain generally nice people.

1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
  2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
  3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?
  4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
  5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?
1. Honestly I do not like Stoke City. I prefer Vale.
2. Gordon Banks and of course Adrian Heath.
3. Yes you beat us 6-2 at The Victoria Grounds around 1972.
4. Nasty element. The BTP struggle with your travelling support.
5. Fair play to you for building one, unlike us.

See below

1.Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?

Non-entity tbh

2.Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years

Inchy for obvious reasons, but I liked him before we bought him and i'm old enough to remember Alan Hudson, who was a cracking player
I'm struggling with anyone fairly recent who was really good, but Shawcross made an impression on many players !

3.Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?

A couple of seasons ago when it was snowing at your place, blowing a gale and I was freezing cold, but, amazingly, Tosun scored twice to make it all worthwhile

4.In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?

Never really understood why you sing Delilah, just baffles me that one.
You can make a decent noise at your place, but your travelling support's nothing out of the ordinary

5.The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

I never minded going to the Britannia ( or whatever it's currently called ). Fairly short trip down the M6, parking's not too bad, but the best thing about going to your place is the oatcakes sold on the barges near to the ground. Obviously I'd heard of them, but hadn't had one till eight or nine years ago and now I'm a big fan.

You seem like a nice genuine football supporter but to be honest whenever I think of Stoke City I automatically think of Garth Crooks and that’s enough to put me off thinking about Stoke or anything else to be honest, good luck with your survey though.

Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
One of my mates is a big Stoke fan and I’ve been to a fair few games with him so I may not be as scathing as some. I always saw you as a tough team to play and particularly to go to and worthy of PL status albeit making up the numbers like the rest of us. That 2-2 against United the season you went down was also the best game I saw in person that year.

Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
The Pulis team obviously sticks out with their reputation of being spoilers. My opinion on this has changed of late because I’ve had the misfortune of going to every home game we’ve had against Burnley in about the past 3 seasons and their time wasting from the first second and general lack of attempting to win the game is far worse than anything Stoke every conjured up. Stoke at least had a few good players and could play a little bit. You were physical which rubbed people up the wrong way but you were nowhere near as anti-football as those claret non-entity’s. That Crouch goal also stands out as it’s one of the best goals in PL history.

Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?
Been to a lot of always as Stoke and never saw us lose. Can’t recall much else about the games in isolation though.

In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
Very good home and away support. I’ve been in with both at Stoke games and I remember they travelled very well to St Mary’s in particular. Always making a noise even if you’re losing which is admirable.

The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

Never went to the old one but the Britannia is horrendous. Plonked on a godforsaken northern industrial estate next to the motorway is the single most depressing place a football ground could be. It’s one of those soulless municipal buildings built in a style only seen in the 90’s, I can’t put a name to it but they all just look frankly saddening (a bit like a leisure centre). There’s a hole in the stand facing the away end meaning constant wind in your face and it’s absolutely Baltic in the summer as well as the winter. Took us an hour and a half once to get the car off the industrial estate but watching the strange clientele frequenting the Harvester/Hungry Horse type pub outside the ground was at least entertaining. It is unfortunately one of the most depressing and uninspiring places I have ever been to and I’ve been to some weird places.

All in all Stoke are alright and I’d replace you with the true anti football team that is Burnley and Brexit Dyche in a heartbeat. I think it’s disgraceful how they haven’t got the reputation you guys had and I think sometimes it was a little unwarranted with you guys. You do however play in red and white so sod the lot of you.

Last edited:
The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?
Never went the old one. The new one is just another one of them lego stadiums. See also Sunderland, Southampton and Doncaster.
This is exactly what I was trying to describe in mine, what a great term. Well done sir!

To be brutally honest, Stoke wouldn't be one of the first clubs I'd like to see back in the PL
Went a few times to the Victoria Ground, but never made it to the Britannia - it looks pretty impressive from the ring road although I would guess it blows a gale up there,
The Victoria Ground had a fabulous atmosphere, particularly when Stanley Matthews was playing. Alan Hudson was a class act later on.
The Pulis era is best forgotten really.
Overall, a run-of-the -mill club with boisterous fans who are maybe stuck in the 1970s or earlier.

not really botherd about Stoke really, better than say the likes of Leicester more of a proper club(working class)
loads over the years, Pejic, Bracewell , Heath for there Everton connections
George Eastham. thought jimmy Greenhoff was decent scored agaist us when i bunked off school to go the game at your old ground, had a bit of class about him.
Banks . Shilton, Hudson. Butland is decent now and Campbell could have a good future ahead of him.
The only really stick out game for me was the away Fa cup game when we were on are way to winning it under Kendal , start of some good times after so much gloom for years.
easy to get to , went a few times in convoys of hired transit vans, in the 70 and 80's ,
god help you if you tried that now getting pulled over with 15 to 20 lads in each one the driver would get banned for life.
Home /away support , get behind the team , brought a few decent groups of fans up over the years.
the old ground by a country mile, decent atmospere and a near certanty of a bit of a laugh on the way back to the train station.
Sure i went when i was a kid and the roof had been blown off the stand to are right, are end had no roof either so it had a bit of a continetal feel about it for some reason.
coppers were ok as well, always found them pretty fair.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.