• OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the thing.

Would fans be happy if we went out and signed a couple of players from a crap French team and a non league striker this summer?

Think there would be fume everywhere considering we were meant to be signing multi millionaire players

Why do we need to waste money on this pillock? Just let Koeman buy the players he wants and be done with it. Now we're going to have to wait weeks for Steve to compile some lists for Koeman to choose from. What a load of nonsense.
lol

Apparently the network that Walsh has built is ultimately what we are buying into. Meant to be pretty renowned in the game.
Hmmm... well yes and no. Obviously you want to tap into that network, but it's not that big as financially we couldn't exactly afford a world wide scouting network.

Hmmm... well yes and no. Obviously you want to tap into that network, but it's not that big as financially we couldn't exactly afford a world wide scouting network.

Really? thats pretty surprising i figured most PL clubs these days had a world wide network, especially one who has owners like yours?

Here is the thing.

Would fans be happy if we went out and signed a couple of players from a crap French team and a non league striker this summer?

Think there would be fume everywhere considering we were meant to be signing multi millionaire players
Yes he does pick out obscure players but he also brought Drogba and Zola to chelsea who were already known. We took Vardy and Mahrez when we were in the second tier so obviously our targets were going to be different to that of a premier league club

I wonder if part of the draw was having deeper pockets.
Gives him a bigger pool of player to choose from.
No disrespect to Leicester.
If Steve wanted to buy an expensive player, then he could have done here. The transfer strategy he and Pearson had for the most part was to avoid "names" and huge fees associated with them. The money we have this season, the money the owners have we could quite easily and and pump £90m on three players... but they don't want that for the sake of the spirit.

That's why, no matter how much I love the bloke for what he's done here, there are still question marks about the move. As I mentioned before, most of our big successes have been by buying people other perhaps looked at but didn't take a risk on, plus people who have talent but perhaps fallen out of favour somewhere else. With Pearson and him getting rid of all the bad eggs.

That's because of where we were, lower leagues, just starting out in the prem with people not so interested in signing. That's where we had to shop, where we're shopping now and where you are shopping is very different to that. So it will be interesting to see how he changes it up, as you can't go buying some skinny kid from ligue 2 (Mahrez) and give him two years of football to progress as a player.

I'm definitely not saying that, Aaron.

All we've heard since the end of the season is how things will change, we are snapping up top players etc, since when has Steve Walsh been dining at that table?
You've signed one of the most highly rated players and highly rated scouts in our game. Outside in, you are looking to set yourself up for long term success. We didn't win the league over night, it was the combination of 8 years work started in league one.

Personally if I was an Everton fan I'd be far happier seeming my club get the basics right and the background stuff correct first, than going out and spunking loads of money on players without much thought or planning.

If Steve wanted to buy an expensive player, then he could have done here. The transfer strategy he and Pearson had for the most part was to avoid "names" and huge fees associated with them. The money we have this season, the money the owners have we could quite easily and and pump £90m on three players... but they don't want that for the sake of the spirit.

That's why, no matter how much I love the bloke for what he's done here, there are still question marks about the move. As I mentioned before, most of our big successes have been by buying people other perhaps looked at but didn't take a risk on, plus people who have talent but perhaps fallen out of favour somewhere else. With Pearson and him getting rid of all the bad eggs.

That's because of where we were, lower leagues, just starting out in the prem with people not so interested in signing. That's where we had to shop, where we're shopping now and where you are shopping is very different to that. So it will be interesting to see how he changes it up, as you can't go buying some skinny kid from ligue 2 (Mahrez) and give him two years of football to progress as a player.

Good post. This is my worry too.

Only a small one mind, as I fully believe and support the management team Moshiri is putting in place.

You've signed one of the most highly rated players and highly rated scouts in our game. Outside in, you are looking to set yourself up for long term success. We didn't win the league over night, it was the combination of 8 years work started in league one.

Personally if I was an Everton fan I'd be far happier seeming my club get the basics right and the background stuff correct first, than going out and spunking loads of money on players without much thought or planning.
I should have said "highly rated managers".

Hi mate, appreciate your own and @FOXINPEACE contribution to this thread. I said the other day if he had a name Stevio Walshio and had taken Real Leicester from the 3rd tier to La Liga champions people would view him very differently. I think it is a fantastic appointment.

The part where you hit the nail on the head for me is having a plan. Most teams have a lot of money and Everton have an increased amount to spend. Clearly though we want to avoid just wasting it on a Galiticos strategy employed by City. I am very much in favour of that. We need the stop valve, the guy who can ascertain actually whether we are being had off and ensure we get the best value for money. I've seen in many businesses when money comes in people can spend money all over and "spunk it up the wall" to use a phrase.

I have to say though, on the whole Everton as a club have got the basics right. The infrastructure that Moyes Left remains very good. For many years on a budget not too dissimilar to Leicester's we always finished in the top 6/7. The structure is in place and I think we've always tried to do things the right way and will continue too.

I had many similar discussions with Southampton fans re Koeman. You do have to ask why he wanted to leave. I accept that some will just say he is a Judas and gone for the money. That's fair enough. I don't believe it's that at all. Sure the money will be more but Southampton offered to double Koemans wage and I'm sure you'd have moved heaven and earth to keep Walsh. I think there are 2 key factors in the move (which are linked).

Firstly, Everton are a bigger club that Leicester or Southampton. People may want to disregard history but we are. More importantly the plan as laid out by Moshiri is very persuasive. His ambition, wealth, clarity and vision is turning heads. People want to be on board with that. Allied to that, whenever Everton have had finances to compete and a vision we have played a dominant role in English football.

I am very pleased with the move. There are obvious question marks as there would be with any appointment. He seems to have a role very football/scouting focussed and wonder how much expertise he has had setting budgets? I also think he is good at spotting bargains but that is very different to buying players ready for the top 6. Mahrez and Vardy took a little time to reach their heights. Whether Evertonians will give us time remains to be seen.

You are right though, get the structure right and the skies the limit. I see your guys and you have bought well again, Musa looks like he will fit into the style very well. The lad you've got from France is like Kante MK 2 and Musa seems to have a lot of the skills of Oziaki/Vardy. It is clinical, well thought through and efficient recruitment in getting players who fit the managers style.

I'm excited though mate. Under Walsh, with serious backing how optimistic should we be?

Status
Not open for further replies.