Stats that quantify why we aren't good enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've also been quite good at giving the opposition a draw when we've been in front.

Still though, can you think of any results when losing at half time we've gone on to win? I'm not having that it's too hard or very easy to lose belief, that totally begs my point of having no fight.

I understand we don't have many goals. But even when we've had Lukaku etc I'm almost certain we only managed it once, the game Vs West Bromwich.
Yes but us giving away leads isn't really related to 'fight' is it? That's just part of the game, it works both ways. The point was that we do seem to keep going and trying to get back into games, but we don't necessarily have the quality to do it on a regular basis.

I'm not sure why half time in particular would be relevant to whether we have fight or not. Either you can come from behind or you can't, i'm not sure that being behind at a specific point of the match should affect whether you're up for the challenge or not. On that basis we came from behind to win 3 times last year, and 3 times the year before. That's probably not a bad ratio when a) you're not actually winning that many games regardless and b) you're not always going behind.

What do you mean you're 'not having it' that it's easy to lose belief? It's just common sense really, and nothing to do with fight. What i'm getting at is that if you're City and you just know that you have the quality to keep passing the ball around and the chances will come then it's easy to keep faith. They have been known to get a bit of flak for that, because they tend to keep playing the same way even when behind late in the game, and if it doesn't work people ask why they didn't step it up. For teams like us though, if you've struggled to break a team down for 75 minutes then you may well start taking pot shots from 30 yards instead of picking a pass, trying to force a forward ball when you should have just kept it simple or trying to take someone on when keeping the ball would be better.

Very galling fact look how much the teams who are currently 1st and 2nd in the league have spent since 2014.

The top 4 Mr Moshiri didn't expect to be in when took over.

zdthazrx15821.jpg

Yes but us giving away leads isn't really related to 'fight' is it? That's just part of the game, it works both ways. The point was that we do seem to keep going and trying to get back into games, but we don't necessarily have the quality to do it on a regular basis.

I'm not sure why half time in particular would be relevant to whether we have fight or not. Either you can come from behind or you can't, i'm not sure that being behind at a specific point of the match should affect whether you're up for the challenge or not. On that basis we came from behind to win 3 times last year, and 3 times the year before. That's probably not a bad ratio when a) you're not actually winning that many games regardless and b) you're not always going behind.

What do you mean you're 'not having it' that it's easy to lose belief? It's just common sense really, and nothing to do with fight. What i'm getting at is that if you're City and you just know that you have the quality to keep passing the ball around and the chances will come then it's easy to keep faith. They have been known to get a bit of flak for that, because they tend to keep playing the same way even when behind late in the game, and if it doesn't work people ask why they didn't step it up. For teams like us though, if you've struggled to break a team down for 75 minutes then you may well start taking pot shots from 30 yards instead of picking a pass, trying to force a forward ball when you should have just kept it simple or trying to take someone on when keeping the ball would be better.
I completely understand where you're coming from about higher quality sides like city being able to play their way no matter the situation and believe they can get the result. That's a different level.

But ultimately my point was about the fact that when Everton are losing at half time, over the past ten years or so that I can remember, I can only think of a single result where we went on to actually win the game. Of course, this requires goals - but worse teams than us turn results around every week.

Perhaps I'm a little harsh by saying I'm not having it. That being said, it's simply not good enough in my eyes.

I don't expect Everton to win every game, especially when things aren't going your way and you find yourself behind at half time - but I've personally recognised the fact that when we are behind at half time, we have no evidence or history of being able to make a comeback and despite my optimism in games it leaves me knowing we won't do anything.

If we want to be able to finish higher in the table then we simply need to be finding ways to win games that we've started on the wrong foot.

Very galling fact look how much the teams who are currently 1st and 2nd in the league have spent since 2014.

zdthazrx15821.jpg
For me this just highlights that we need to give Silva and Brands more than half a season. We need to just accept that results won't be great while in transition. Now that the fixture list is clearing up I expect to see better results and a strong finish.

Edit: Koeman and Walshs mess of two different transfer strategies contributed to about 200m of that also.

Call it simple, but a lack of fitness and under practice will can be behind a lot of these statistics. When Moyes when in at West ham he increased the intensity of the training and they ended up finishing comfortably safe. I think, and it has been a problem under a few managers, that we should be driving the players much harder.

zdthazrx15821.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think this graphic is out of date, and doesn’t include the transfer dealings for summer 2018. The Spurs figures remain up to date, of course.

I’m not disagreeing about needing a striker. But how many good chances did we have against Leicester?
I heard we lost the ball 60 times in the first half. The striker issue is just part of the problem.

On the other hand though, Leicester had one good chance in that game and because they had a clinical striker, they won the game.

Our problems do obviously go deeper though.

I’m not disagreeing about needing a striker. But how many good chances did we have against Leicester?
I heard we lost the ball 60 times in the first half. The striker issue is just part of the problem.
I'm not sure we lost the ball 60 times but we did misplace 60% of passes

Team has well and truly shat the bed since that last second of the derby and it will define our season, just as much as they will say it was the catalyst for them kicking on even further.

Confidence is what we are lacking. Pickford looks shaken and our heads drop when we miss a chance or concede. Instead of taking the positive that the chances are coming, we seem to think that because we've fluffed that one, that's game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.