Start of Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
that fairplay handshake should be sacked off tbh.

i'm a big admirer of sportsmanship, but it barely exists in football, it's more of a hand slap they do these days anyway, not a proper handshake then both teams spend the next hour and a half diving over the pitch, trying to con their fellow proffesionals and trying to cheat them - what's the point in the handshake?

Music at team entrances and to celebrate a goal is much better suited to indoor sports e.g. ice hockey rather than footie grounds.

Much as Z-Cars is and has been part and parcel of Everton folklore since the 60's, and I would miss it if we stopped using it and cannot readily think of a suitable replacement, it is getting a bit dated as the generation who remember watching the programme age, and it isn't really intimidating.

Maybe a professionally recorded and produced version of "the School of Science is on its way back" ??

Aaaaaaabsolutely not.

Reactions: Jxg

Never actually read the johnny todd lyrics before now .. not payed attention anyways.

Its basically about some bint who's messing around while her fella's off with the navy? "Everton that?" :Blink:

If your into folk/traditional type of music. The Spinners have always done a great version of Johnny Todd.

Bit of musical general knowledge for you; The Spinners soul group in the US had to change their name in this country to the Detroit Spinners to differentiate between these two vastly different bands

The next post is what I was going to say, apart from adding that why on earth do American teams use music from bands that have absolutely nothing to do with them

They played it as you say because the Cast of Z-Cars attended a game, maybe we trounced someone that day and they thought it lucky.

They should have Brian Blessed on the mic one time I reckon seeing as he was the main character, we wouldn't even have to TURN THE THING ON !!!!!

Johnny Todd
Traditional: Collected by Frank Kidson
Arranged: Stan Kelly

Lyrically

Johnny Todd he took a notion
For to cross the ocean wide.
There he left his true love a-weeping
Waiting by the Liverpool tide.

For a week she wept full sorely,
Tore her hair and wrung her hands
Till she met with another sailor
Walking on the Liverpool sands.

O fair maid why are you weeping
For your Johnny gone to sea?
If you'll wed with me tomorrow
I will kind and constant be.

I will buy you sheets and blankets,
I'll buy you a wedding ring.
You shall have a gilded cradle
For to rock you baby in.

Johnny Todd came home from sailing,
Far across the ocean wide,
There he found that his fair and false one
Was another sailor's bride.

So, all you lads who go a-sailing
For to fight the foreign foe.
Never leave your true love like Johnny,
Marry her before you go!

Notes

Collected as a children's play (skipping) song in Liverpool, the words
were filled out by Frank Kidson, who collected it from a singer
of deficient memory. The verse about sheets and blankets crops
up in one form or another in many songs and the first verse is
often sung:

Johnny Todd he took a notion
For to cross the raging tide,
And he left his true love behind him
Weeping on the Liverpool side.

(the Liverpool side of the river, that is, not the Birkenhead
side). Another version of the tune was passed from Ewan McColl
to Marlene Dietrich, who sang it in cabaret for a while.
Much later, the song was re-immortalised when Fritz Spiegel,
sometime flautist with the Liverpool Philarmonic Orchestra, and
his ex-wife, Bridget Fry, arranged the melody as the signature tune
for the television series "Z-cars." The effect aimed at was that
of the fife-and-drum band playing in an Orangeday parade.
The
section of the Liverpool Phil that recorded the tune found some
difficulty in playing the "off" notes.

Catholic Club eh ? John Moores may have installed based on that bold bit.
@davek will be livid.
Nice story, but untrue.

Tha arrangement for Z-Cars the club uses was explained in the Evertonian magazine around 2000 / 2001. They did an interview with Frank Keating who did that for the BBC in the 1960s. Keating was a Hibs fan who already had Hibernian playing that tune which they dropped later on and it became associated with just Everton...although Celtic did try it too and then jibbed it.

You're right about john mores though: a hair lipped gimp bigot of a man hated even by his own family.

I fail to see how Z Cars pumped out load and the roar of our crowd when the players emerge isn't intimidating?!

It's unqiue and original to Everton (ignoring Watford), and, in my very biased opininon, it's certainly the best entrance of a team in the Premier League. It's gets everybody pumped and leads straight into chants starting in the Lower Gwladys.

You don't half see some bad stuff when you go to other grounds. I've heard ACDC's Hells Bells at Villa Park a few seasons back, The Lord Is My Shepherd at The Hawthrons and don't even get me started on all that bubble-blowing nonsense that goes on at Upton Park.

I always feel proud when I bring non-Evertonian mates to Goodison and I see their faces when Z Cars plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.