Match Thread Southampton v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll...

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit to the team for yesterday. Said at half time this team of cowards need to show some character. Too many nice chaps in the team. Went all wobbly after Southampton's goal but regrouped and got the win.
Team morale is set in sand let's hope yesterday was a change. Will be needed for December

Having had time to reflect on the game I have to say I was impressed with the defence, I think we can allow that back 5 to settle now. No need whatsoever to remove any of them.

Davies has stepped up very nicely, but that second midfield position is a massive concern. Delph isn't much cop and is only a game or two away from another injury, while Schneiderlin is just appalling. Could it be worse if Sigurdsson dropped back there instead alongside Davies?

Tosun got his chance but failed to impress, missing that easy headed chance by ballooning it miles over. No impact on the game apart from that.

Walcott looks refreshed and will keep his place, rightly so given the other options we have. His final ball is still terrible though, and we can assume it won't improve given it's been that way his entire career. Yet he still causes defences problems.

Thought Sigurdsson was ok... that's about it. Strangely enough I think both him and Iwobi look better off the bench. Iwobi came in and had a much bigger impact on the game than Sigurdsson did.

Richarlison didn't have the best of games but grabbed the winner. If he did that every game it'd be great.

Against Norwich, Iwobi for Sigurdsson and Calvert Lewin for Tosun. That'll do.
I'd give Beni a shout.

He can't be any worse than Schneiderlin for starters and he's the only other option whilst we have so many injuries. He may even prove to be a revelation there.

Haven't seen the game yet but was pleased to see some of our young lads get a chance, and even more pleased to see them dominating the MOM poll.

the commentary were making a big deal out of it but imo he was just using his strength to shield the ball, absolutely nothing wrong with what he did

He didn't follow the ball though, he could have stepped in front of that but chose to step over that and into the path of the forward. I wouldn't want him doing that too many more times as I can see it being given at somepoint.

the commentary were making a big deal out of it but imo he was just using his strength to shield the ball, absolutely nothing wrong with what he did
I thought it was ok too but I can’t relax with this VAR
He didn't follow the ball though, he could have stepped in front of that but chose to step over that and into the path of the forward. I wouldn't want him doing that too many more times as I can see it being given at somepoint.
Seeing TV at normal speed I was a bit nervous because his arm was raised a bit and it was not a shoulder to shoulder contract. On replays I was having kittens because I reckon it would have been given!!! I can only think the video ref thought about our recent injustices and said to himself “it’s only Southampton!”

Seeing TV at normal speed I was a bit nervous because his arm was raised a bit and it was not a shoulder to shoulder contract. On replays I was having kittens because I reckon it would have been given!!! I can only think the video ref thought about our recent injustices and said to himself “it’s only Southampton!”
For me it would have been a harsh penalty but I would have been more fuming with big Yerry for giving the VAR a chance to give it.
harsh but could have went either way these days is what I mean.

Having had time to reflect on the game I have to say I was impressed with the defence, I think we can allow that back 5 to settle now. No need whatsoever to remove any of them.

Davies has stepped up very nicely, but that second midfield position is a massive concern. Delph isn't much cop and is only a game or two away from another injury, while Schneiderlin is just appalling. Could it be worse if Sigurdsson dropped back there instead alongside Davies?

Tosun got his chance but failed to impress, missing that easy headed chance by ballooning it miles over. No impact on the game apart from that.

Walcott looks refreshed and will keep his place, rightly so given the other options we have. His final ball is still terrible though, and we can assume it won't improve given it's been that way his entire career. Yet he still causes defences problems.

Thought Sigurdsson was ok... that's about it. Strangely enough I think both him and Iwobi look better off the bench. Iwobi came in and had a much bigger impact on the game than Sigurdsson did.

Richarlison didn't have the best of games but grabbed the winner. If he did that every game it'd be great.

Against Norwich, Iwobi for Sigurdsson and Calvert Lewin for Tosun. That'll do.
Archie! That's the first post from you that has been in any way positive about Everton. Well done and keep it up.

Good assessment that. When Delph is fit he has to start next to Davies as he's better than Schneiderlin and hopefully that can tide us over until Gbamin is fit. But given our December fixture list I am utterly terrified. Thank God Davies is playing well or else we'd be completely screwed at CM.

Personally I would rather see Iwobi behind the striker with Walcott on the right and Richarlison either as a striker (when Bernard is back) or on the left. The striker situation is going to drag on for a while longer it seems -- rotating DCL/Tosun/Kean until one of them takes their chance. It's a shame but also it was predictable and has to go down as a recruitment failure -- we needed an experienced, proven CF and we failed to get one.

Interesting shout having Gylfi in a deeper role. I think it might suit him. He might not have the necessary defensive awareness but he always ranks highly for distance covered and putting tackles in. Would also allow Iwobi to continue in what I feel has been his best position for us.
Interesting to note that Niasse is getting games with the under 23s...could that mean we might see him on he bench for the Norwich game?

Status
Not open for further replies.