who was better for the everton??

• osman

Votes: 193 92.3%
  • sigurdsson

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Newcastle one was a belter. First time into the top corner?

He was great in 13/14. He was treated abysmally by Martinez tbh. He was absolutely integral in 13/14, then got injured and basically stopped us getting relegated upon his return in 14/15. He was then pretty much ushered into retirement after that as Martinez preferred such luminaries as Arouna Kone, Tom Cleverley and Christian Atsu to play for us.

You know, the bit in the article about Moyes playing him wide at first made me chuckle. He did exactly the same with Arteta. Was absolutely petrified of playing him centrally. Then injuries forced his hand and Arteta bossed the game against Spurs playing central. And there he stayed pretty much.

Osman frequently got panned playing wide, wonder how much Moyes held him back by not playing him centrally more often? Partly out of fear, partly because he wouldn't / we couldn't afford a wide player.

There we go, an unpopular opinion (potentially).

*waits*

Osman was great in the middle. There was a run we went on when he played there against United Arsenal and Chelsea and we beat United and Chelsea at Goodison easily (think it was the Rodwell 3-1) and should have won at Arsenal. You hit the nail on the head though that we couldn’t find anyone to play wide who was consistent enough.

Fiorentina at home, Carsley DM, Osman next to him, Pienaar one flank, Arteta the other. We absolutely bossed them from start to finish. I wish we’d have bought Donovan permanently so that Osman and Arteta could have played in the middle more regularly.

Osman was great in the middle. There was a run we went on when he played there against United Arsenal and Chelsea and we beat United and Chelsea at Goodison easily (think it was the Rodwell 3-1) and should have won at Arsenal. You hit the nail on the head though that we couldn’t find anyone to play wide who was consistent enough.

Fiorentina at home, Carsley DM, Osman next to him, Pienaar one flank, Arteta the other. We absolutely bossed them from start to finish. I wish we’d have bought Donovan permanently so that Osman and Arteta could have played in the middle more regularly.

I remember that side, I think we had him, Peinaar and Arteta in the middle, with Cahill and Fellaini up top and Landon Donavon. Heitinga and Distin at the back. A brilliant team really, maybe even Moyes's best.

I think probably suffers from the same thing Moyes does generally. People don't seem to realise the level of football played at times. He was in a team with Arteta and Peinaar, and while he was a bit different to them (a bit more rugged) he probably wasn't quite their level. However peak Arteta and Peinaar are better than anyone in our squad currently, with perhaps the exception of Richarlinson, where you can have something of a debate. Osman of 10 years ago would be our best midfielder currently. A comment on him, but also to a degree the players we have in the midfield.

Well how are we to judge if not by goal return ? Ossie never quite had enough and he too went missing in games quite often ,Siggy has had a bad season or has he ? May be it will be null and void .I am not excusing him but he is a better player by far when he is on his game .Time has been kind to Ossie's memory because lots were calling for his head before he stopped playing .
I guess Tim Howard is a better keeper than Neuer.

Osman was more use, to the squad as he was more effective in other positions. As we have seen this season, Sigurdson can only really play, in the number 10 role effectively.

He was great in 13/14. He was treated abysmally by Martinez tbh. He was absolutely integral in 13/14, then got injured and basically stopped us getting relegated upon his return in 14/15. He was then pretty much ushered into retirement after that as Martinez preferred such luminaries as Arouna Kone, Tom Cleverley and Christian Atsu to play for us.

When??

the results after his return from injury that season are far better than the results whilst he was out. We had a run of dire relegation form and I’m sure there was one night when Aston Villa who had been rank bottom for ages won unexpectedly and were within 3 points of us. Osman came back and we rattled off a few wins with him playing quite well and the R word was shelved for another season.

the results after his return from injury that season are far better than the results whilst he was out. We had a run of dire relegation form and I’m sure there was one night when Aston Villa who had been rank bottom for ages won unexpectedly and were within 3 points of us. Osman came back and we rattled off a few wins with him playing quite well and the R word was shelved for another season.

Mate listen, Leon Osman was not the reason we survived relegation in 2015. I dislike Martinez as much as the next guy but Osman was absolutely finished and it was an embarrassment watching him play during those last two seasons, he certainly wasn’t “pushed into retirement”. In fact Martinez probably kept him around a bit too long, starting him in that League Cup semi final second leg against City away was absolute suicide.

Let’s just all agree he was better than Gylfi Sigurdsson and move on without resorting to outrageous statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.