Should we be boycotting Sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I think he went rogue on that one. He has been very vocal about his dislike of the premier league and where football is going. I doubt sky would've said anything if he hadn't, though.
Think they would have pulled him aside before game if they did not want it mentioned.

1999 to 2001 last had a sky package. Occasionally will purchase Now if away from home or not gone to match.

Under Moyes we recovered to be tipped to be the club that would break up the top 4 that were getting CL football every year. Spurs and Villa had been alongside us but fell away. Leeds and Newcastle had spells as top 4 but fell so badly they went down. 2009 cup final was our watershed moment when we should have kicked on but we all know how we were being run back then. We were told no one was buying football clubs, we had to sell to buy, yet every team around us was getting money pumped into them.
Yes, i agree. I think we are aligned that that all sits with our board and owners! The spell under Moyes was our second opportunity missed to get investment for the squad and push on. Instead we fell away and now have seemingly fallen off a cliff from a financial standpoint.
You have to remember clubs like Man U have revenues streaming in whether they are top of the league or bottom. You always know they are on the way back because they can spend and spend and spend until it clicks again. We may have flashes in the top 4 or maybe even one day do a Leicester city and win the PL, but if we dont sort the commercial side out we will never keep up long term.

Yes, i agree. I think we are aligned that that all sits with our board and owners! The spell under Moyes was our second opportunity missed to get investment for the squad and push on. Instead we fell away and now have seemingly fallen off a cliff from a financial standpoint.
You have to remember clubs like Man U have revenues streaming in whether they are top of the league or bottom. You always know they are on the way back because they can spend and spend and spend until it clicks again. We may have flashes in the top 4 or maybe even one day do a Leicester city and win the PL, but if we dont sort the commercial side out we will never keep up long term.
In 95 when we built a proper club shop at the ground to replace the one under the main stand, I thought we were starting to getting going on the commercial side of things.But within a few years we had gone backwards from there. I think there was even a season the new jersey was only brought out really late because we didn`t have a shirt sponsor sorted.

Got rid of Sky about the time I started using Kodi for films on an android box, discovered ways to access live streams then, never looked back.

In 95 when we built a proper club shop at the ground to replace the one under the main stand, I thought we were starting to getting going on the commercial side of things.But within a few years we had gone backwards from there. I think there was even a season the new jersey was only brought out really late because we didn`t have a shirt sponsor sorted.
Maybe its Goodison that has held us back? Anyone looking at us to invest sees they have to spend massive capital to redevelop and that is the main blocker. Clear that the money flows to Man city with a modern stadium, or totenham with a new stadium etc etc....Now we are moving on to BMD i think we are a massively more attractive proposition for someone. Hopefully the stadium wont bankcrupt us and we can be somewhat grateful to Moshiri for facilitating it (if he doesnt saddle us with debt or the new owners turn out to be vultures). We now need to focus on navigating through a few more very tricky seasons before we start to reap the benefits from a modern stadium, world class location and facilities. Hopefully we dont Everton it!

Think they would have pulled him aside before game if they did not want it mentioned.

1999 to 2001 last had a sky package. Occasionally will purchase Now if away from home or not gone to match.
I don't think they can stop him saying what is written on the signs. They probably have told him not to give his opinions while on air.

Stopped paying for it years ago, I don't want to watch the same 6 teams nearly every week, the only time the other clubs get a look in is when they are playing those teams.

Yet we still pay the same amount for it, it's a joke, it's bias and if we are honest has created a monster that has seen a few teams get so far ahead they are uncatchable. Then obviously those teams win everything and qualify for the Golden pot CL and so gain even more money.

This division is haves and have nots and the gap is widening every year. Certain clubs have stronger benches than most first teams, it's crazy and it has ruined the game in this country as a sporting spectacle.

It should never have been allowed to happen but it did and then the league turned off the opportunity for any of the other 14 teams to reduce that gap by introducing P&S. It is almost impossible to close the gap, even newly minted Newcastle are worried about P&S/FFP

How can we get back to a level playing field? Also people say we were the Mersey Millionaires but a glaring difference was that the other teams could spend the money to catch us if they had it.

So yeah, thanks Sky but GTFO, you've killed this sport as a fair competition.

Sorry for the rant

Fulham v Wolves is on Sky tonight.. Next weekend is us v Forest and Palace v West Ham.

Money has ruined the game but the Prem is still the most competitive and highest quality league in Europe. A lot of chips on shoulders in this thread, there are a lot of reasons we aren’t one of the big clubs anymore - Sky isn’t one.

Fulham v Wolves is on Sky tonight.. Next weekend is us v Forest and Palace v West Ham.

Money has ruined the game but the Prem is still the most competitive and highest quality league in Europe. A lot of chips on shoulders in this thread, there are a lot of reasons we aren’t one of the big clubs anymore - Sky isn’t one.
That's why I said "nearly" every week but the point is a fact, those teams get a lot lot more exposure than the rest, it is undeniable fact. So they get more TV money and widening the gap further.

To me the only way the TV companies will start to worry is if we boycott a home game with no fans attending.

It's a shame that both our home games from now till Xmas are on amazon prime. The Man City game would have been ideal to boycott especially with them having 115 charges.

That's why I said "nearly" every week but the point is a fact, those teams get a lot lot more exposure than the rest, it is undeniable fact. So they get more TV money and widening the gap further.

The vast majority of TV money is split equally between all clubs. The facility money paid per live game is quite small in comparison. Clubs also get ‘merit money’ depending on where they finish.

Most neutrals would rather watch Man City v Liverpool than Luton v Palace though (to use an example from the weekend), so what do you expect Sky to do?

Recently got Sky on a cut price 18 month deal, including Sports, that's £25 less than BT. Will get rid when contract ends.

….their coverage of the protest was better than I expected, it was good of Gary Neville to point out ‘Corrupt’ was written on each of the red cards. They’ve also given the protest coverage on Sky News sports bulletins this morning.
Yes, credit to them - they covered it much more than I was expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.