Homepage Update: Should they stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

Staff member
AndyC submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Should they stay?
lukakubarkley-1024x461.jpg

In early May, I ran an article musing whether we should prepare for life after Ross Barkley and Romelu Lukaku

In light of the staggering, by normal Everton standards, transfer activity of the last few days, maybe we need to pose the title question above.

Last January, Ronald Koeman executed a cull of fringe players.

His intention was clear, the squad was not good enough and it needed cleansing.

He shallowed the depth of the squad, reduced the salary bill, but in so doing paved the way for the summer transfer window that hasn’t officially opened yet.

There’s still departures to oversee – Aiden McGeady for sure, possibly Gerard Deulofeu and probably one of Maarten Stekelenburg or Joel Robles.

Last season saw a definite improvement in home results, we finished four places higher and qualified for the Europa League – better, but still more to do and be done.

Romelu Lukaku has said he knows where he’ll play next season.

He has repeatedly expressed his desire to play in the Champions League, and Everton have for too long looked light years from qualifying and meeting that desire.

If he’s serious about leaving then his agent better find someone with very, very deep pockets as Everton made it clear that we value him at circa £100 million.

Everton don’t need or have to do anything – he’s contracted to us for two more seasons.

And if you read the rumour and gossip columns, other than Chelsea, allegedly, there are no other serious suitors.

Antonio Conte, allegedly, wants him having text Diego Costa to say ‘Arrivederci’, but Chelsea, allegedly, are not willing to meet our valuation.

So, when Rom said he knows where he’ll be playing next season, and said it with a knowing smirk on his face…

Is it pure and ill-placed optimism that maybe, just maybe he’s opted to stay and fight for the right to play Champions League football with Everton?

Lukaku has previously challenged Everton to match his desire to play in the Champions League and we’ve previously come some way short of matching that desire.

Enter Farhad Moshiri, Steve Walsh and Ronald Koeman and last summer, we made some signings.

Gana Gueye, Bolasie and Williams raised expectation levels that weren’t realised and even the January addition of Schneiderlin wasn’t enough to see Everton threaten the top four places.

Much has been said about the need to make ‘signing statements’, ‘splash the cash’ and ‘nett spend’ etc and there’s been much discussion, conjecture and even argument here on Grand Old Team, and no doubt everywhere else.

The last week though has seen something of a return to days of the John Moores Mersey Millionaires.

Back then, we joked that if you played well against Everton, we bought you.

Well in the space of less than a week, Everton have made statement signings and splashed the cash acquiring arguably the best young goalie in England in Jordan Pickford and an established Dutch international and until Thursday captain of Ajax, Davy Klaassen.

Sandro Ramirez, ex of Barcelona and currently a Malaga winger, flew in for talks and flew out again… with the Everton medical not too far behind, we are not to be denied.

M’Baye Niang of AC Milan and a loanee at Watford least season is, allegedly, still on the radar and the rumours of Michael Keane (Burnley)and Gylfi Sigurdsson (Swansea) get stronger and stronger by the hour.

And we stress, the window hasn’t officially opened yet!

Let’s assume for a moment that Ramirez, Keane and Sigurdsson sign on – will that be the end of the summer shopping, I very much doubt it.

Now to Ross Barkley, our home-grown diamond in the rough.

What exactly is going on, nobody outside of the very inner sanctum of the club knows for sure.

At times last season, Ross looked superb.

At other times, he looked lost and bewildered.

Does Koeman really see Barkley as a key, integral part of the Everton under his charge for (at least) the next two seasons… and does Ross see himself as a squad player for Koeman?

He’s signing midfielders in Klaassen and possibly Sigurdsson and they’ll supplement Gana Gueye, Schneiderlin, Tom Davies, Kevin Mirallas and even Gareth Barry… and we haven’t mentioned any of the players champing at the bit from David Unsworths’ title winning squad.

Does Ross feel threatened by the influx of players in his part of the field and therefore his future will be best served elsewhere ?

Or…

Will both Ross Barkley and Romelu Lukaku look at these early, early signings and think to themselves, “Hey, this looks exciting. I want to be a part of this”.

On top of the signings already made and strongly rumoured, if Ross re-signed and Rom committed to stay, that would make for the genuine statements of intent from Everton that the fans have been pleading for.

Don't think our dealings will make a difference to whether they want to stay or go tbh, we've done good business so far but we're still miles away from the top 4.

Most likely Ross will be sold and no one will pay the fee for rom so he'll stay

Great article. It all looks good really promising. Perhaps these new players can get the best out of Rom and Ross as we've definitely or seen it yet.

Ross is a different story, my belief is he and Koeman dont get on and neither rates the other, if he was cleverer he would sign the best contract in the clubs history and keep his head down for the next few seasons Koeman is here.

Unfortunately i dont think he will, and he will never get anything like the nurturing or the good will he enjoys here, he is in for a nasty culture shock and i think his career will only go south from here.

Silly lad.

depends on a lot of 'IFs'
If;
We have to sell to buy
If;
Anybody comes in for Barkley - and Lukakwho.
If;
The price is right
If;
They stay I think that will be good and Lukakwho might find himself on the bench if the titty lip comes out too.

I think they'll both stay. Everton have a history of getting the price they want when selling players (in the main)

They've gone big on this '100 million or no deal' stance. I can't see anyone paying that, so that's where my confidence on that comes from.

Barkley will stay because at the moment I can't see him getting guaranteed game time at any team above us. If any team really wanted, given his contract status, surely they'd have acted like we have in the market and got on with it.

2 weeks tomorrow until the squad is back and given Barkley couldn't get in the England squad he'll be amoungst the first back. Hopefully he can build on his form going into the new season.

I genuinely believe all we have done is spend the lukaku money this past week and nothing more. Lukaku is gone and is just a signature away from it being official pretty much.

Not necessarily a bad thing because we are spending well and buying the right profile of players with it so clever from the club to be agreeing deals now before the media blow the lukaku story up. If there was any chance of rom staying then all we have done really is strengthened the squad even more which again is a positive thing

Ross needs a reality check. I don't believe we need him but he needs us a lot more. The best career he will have is at Everton, he won't be allowed as much room anywhere else to be him and not be dropped from the team. Someone should have had that word with him well before now and if the reason why we sell him is him being the way he is now then it will be a sorry sight to see especially if he doesn't have the career he expects to have by moving.

Ive made this point contentiously, what incentive is there for Everton to sell Lukaku?

I fail to see why we should.

...there has to be lessons learned from the Stones situation. We applauded the way the club refused to sell but it didn't work out well for anybody. Stones form dipped, the fans fell out with him and the team suffered. Also, we don't know what the club has promised him about leaving.

Both should probably leave for the good of their careers. Lukaku because he is ready to lead the line for a CL side and could miss the boat if he continues to wait for his chance. He's correct that staying here isn't really an option at this stage of his career, not that it'd be a complete disaster either mind, especially if we were to finish top 4 with him next season.

Barkley will quite possibly need to move on for consistent first XI football as the manager doesn't seem to rate him that highly, there are very likely good players coming in this summer who can play his position and Barkley hasn't set a very high bar in terms of level of performance required to knock him out of the team.

I think Rom might be better without Ross in the team. Lot of frustration shown sometimes with him not playing of him or passing to him faster .. keep loose Ross in win win for me

Absolutely no question of that for me.

I think one will go, and it's mostly likely going to be Ross since we have so many midfield options and Rom is priced so high.
Rom is the better of the two so if I had to pick one to stay, it'd be him.

I believe they should both go, and think Lukaku certainly will. Barkley is 50/50.

Lukaku has given us four good years, we are going to sell him for up to three times the amount we paid, and that money is already being put to good use. Personally I'm tired of this saga particularly over the last few months. His goals will prove difficult to replace but with Klaassen and now Sandro seemingly done, we have made a good start in replacing those goals, with more to come. I am confident we will come out the stronger for it. A huge amount of disrespect has been shown to Everton by him and his camp in recent weeks. It just feels like the longest divorce in history now. Sell him, get the best fee we can, and move on.

Barkley is just a mystery to me. Good but not good enough with very brittle confidence. I think he has been very poorly advised. Spurs may take him, but he may find that his bluff is called and he either has to stay, or ends up at West Ham. We certainly won't get 50m for him, we'll get half that in the last week of the window.

Nobody leaves Everton and goes onto better things lad, nobody.

Ross is a different story, my belief is he and Koeman dont get on and neither rates the other, if he was cleverer he would sign the best contract in the clubs history and keep his head down for the next few seasons Koeman is here.

Unfortunately i dont think he will, and he will never get anything like the nurturing or the good will he enjoys here, he is in for a nasty culture shock and i think his career will only go south from here.

Silly lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.