Seventh Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that scenario (assuming City won CL and Liverpool winning EL) Arsenal would be demoted to EL as the lowest ranked team whom hasn't qualified via winning either EL or CL.

CL - Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool, City
EL - Arsenal, United, West Ham
F'all - Saints

Actually, i think Arsenal would still get CL. Saints would still get f'all though. The EL spot Liverpool would have got for 7th actually goes to another country as teams get shuffled around.

Runners up wont go in.

The top 4 go in the CL
5th place, the FA cup winners and League winners the Europa league.

City have won the League cup and will defo finish top 4, so 6th place gets Europa

If Arse or Chelsea win the Europa they enter the CL, so their place in the Europa would go to 7th, if not, they will enter the Europa.
If City win the FA Cup 8th place would get Europa.
If Wolves win the FA cup and finish 7th, then 8th place gets Europa.

I think.
A country can have a max of 7 teams playing continental football. Could be 5 in CL and then 2 in EL or 4 in CL and 3 in EL but pretty sure that's the max. Regardless, 8th never gets EL.
The top four get CL as standard, unless one of them wins either the CL or EL, in which case 5th gets CL.

It's maximum 5 clubs in the CL, so if Spurs finish 6th and win CL, and Arsenal win EL (unlikely combo, but possible) and finish 5th, it's those two plus City and Liverpool and whoever finishes 3rd in the CL.

That'd mean 4th (the EL spot from the league), 5th (rolled over from the League Cup) and either Wolves/Watford/Brighton if either of those win the FA Cup, or whichever team finishes 7th - from my unlikely example above.

A standard it's 1 EL (5th) spot from the league plus the two cup winners. Runners up don't get in as used to be the case in the FA Cup.

As it stands...

As City won the League Cup 6th is now EL.

If City win the FA Cup then 7th is EL.

If Watford/Wolves/Brighton win then they're in EL and 7th place gets nothing - regardless of if Watford/Wolves finish 7th.
This is the hypothetical table or variations of it final table that would allow 8th to qualify.

1 Leicester City CL
2, Spurs CL
3. Arsenal CL
4, Man City CL (Through either league or CL win)
5. Man United EL through winning FA Cup
6. West Ham EL
7. Liverpool CL through winning EL
8. Saints EL
Yeah, it's something weird like that, pretty sure they took away 8th, now 7th has the massive qualifiying.

If United/Spurs won the CL and finished 5th, the 5th doesn't bump the EL, it takes the place of it.
In that scenario (assuming City won CL and Liverpool winning EL) Arsenal would be demoted to EL as the lowest ranked team whom hasn't qualified via winning either EL or CL.

CL - Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool, City
EL - Arsenal, United, West Ham
F'all - Saints
Actually, i think Arsenal would still get CL. Saints would still get f'all though. The EL spot Liverpool would have got for 7th actually goes to another country as teams get shuffled around.
Cheers. Heads gone

Breaking it down

Top 4 Champions league
5th and 6th currently Europa League
If CITY win FA Cup 7th becomes Europe

Worry about Champions league winners if it happens. Barca and Juventus will have a massive say yet

I hope we don't get into Europe so that we can concentrate in the league next season to try and qualify for Europe...

European football has it's drawbacks but there are far more positives than negatives. Financially, club status, attractiveness to new players and sponsors... it's a no brainer.

Everton should be in Europe every season.

I hope we don't get into Europe so that we can concentrate in the league next season to try and qualify for Europe...

European football has it's drawbacks but there are far more positives than negatives. Financially, club status, attractiveness to new players and sponsors... it's a no brainer.

Everton should be in Europe every season.

Yeah I want Everton in Europe every year but think after the turbulent few seasons we've had we could do without it this year, we've had some good performances this season but also some shockers, this was always expected while we adjust to new players coming in and a new manager/DOF, I think this team along with Silva are settling into it now, add a couple more signings in the summer and next season we aim to achieve something (domestic cups, Europe places), i feel more confident going into next season than i did coming into this one

Yeah I want Everton in Europe every year but think after the turbulent few seasons we've had we could do without it this year, we've had some good performances this season but also some shockers, this was always expected while we adjust to new players coming in and a new manager/DOF, I think this team along with Silva are settling into it now, add a couple more signings in the summer and next season we aim to achieve something (domestic cups, Europe places), i feel more confident going into next season than i did coming into this one

I understand the drawbacks, they are legitimate. The extra fixtures are demanding for sure and there is the worry that the squad isn't settled enough yet to manage it. Another year of just the domestic football schedule and the foundation may be solid enough to go into Europe again.

However, the reality is that the club benefits massively from being in Europe. Sponsors for the new stadium if we can say to them that we're consistently in Europe? This renewal with Umbro may not have happened as we may have been more attractive at a big rate to the other brands if we had European football. We could be in for players in the summer who also have the option to go to a Europa League club and that swings it for them to go there instead of here.

There's just so many reasons to be in it. The club should always strive to be in it and just manage the negative effects as best they can. We are not Burnley, it shouldn't be a season wrecker to a club as big as Everton with a history of being in the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.