Sergio Reguilon

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s fine
But this Lad isn’t coming in As a back
Up

I'm not really sure why it matters. If he's better than Digne, he plays, if Digne is better, Digne plays. It makes no odds what he's coming for, if he doesn't perform well enough, then he doesn't play.

I'm not really sure why it matters. If he's better than Digne, he plays, if Digne is better, Digne plays. It makes no odds what he's coming for, if he doesn't perform well enough, then he doesn't play.
But he knows full well, he won’t be first choice. And players like him aren’t coming to Everton to be back up or maybe he might play if the first choice is in bad form.

Champions league clubs, fair enough but not us.

But he knows full well, he won’t be first choice. And players like him aren’t coming to Everton to be back up or maybe he might play if the first choice is in bad form.

If he his cheaper than Digne and is good maybe the club are looking at it as we can sell Digne make a few bob and get a decent player in and the money for someone else as well.

Not a chance a lad on the fringe of the Spanish national squad moves to Everton without assurances he's going to play every week. Not a chance Lucas Digne is happy at us signing such a player and him potentially not playing every week either. In an ideal world we'd have that sort of competition, in the real world there is no chance. It would also be absolutely bonkers for 2 of our 3 best players to be left backs.

We need competition for places, we know all to well how quickly performances can deteriorate otherwise. It makes sense to try to sign a player like this rather than a youth prospect as an experienced pro like Dinge will know that even if he’s playing below average they probably won’t risk the kid whereas this guy could get a run in the team (and he might actually turn out to be really good)

I think there are two problems. The first being that I don't think we can spend a lot of money for a second choice left back, the second is that a left back who has cost a lot of money will come to simply be a reserve player.

If he his cheaper than Digne and is good maybe the club are looking at it as we can sell Digne make a few bob and get a decent player in and the money for someone else as well.
It wouldn’t surprise me If Digne was sold, not that I’d want him to go. But from a financial point of view it would make sense.

it wouid give us a lot of room in the transfer market. And with the rumours of Chelsea, city and maybe Utd looking for Left backs. Could be the summer to do it.

I think there are two problems. The first being that I don't think we can spend a lot of money for a second choice left back, the second is that a left back who has cost a lot of money will come to simply be a reserve player.

Maybe if he does come, he wont be coming as a reserve player. But if he's no better than Digne, he doesn't play. Surely we should be always trying to buy better than what we have if we want to improve. Digne is a professional footballer, as are the rest of the squad, they have lived in an environment where it is dog eat dog for many many years, including through early years development. I would hope that everybody in the club will be expecting and craving competition for places as it brings out the best in elite competitors, so long as their attitude is right. If their attitude isn't right, do we really want them anyway?

I have no idea if we are going to sign this chap, I've never even seen him play but it seems mad to be arguing against buying a player cause he might be better than what we have.

Also, Everton know if they have enough money to buy the lad, if they don't have enough money, they wont buy him.

I think you underestimate just how confident top level players can be in their own ability. If he comes here, it will because he thinks he's good enough to play week in week out. I wouldn't have it any other way. Had enough of players just making up the numbers.

Not a chance a lad on the fringe of the Spanish national squad moves to Everton without assurances he's going to play every week. Not a chance Lucas Digne is happy at us signing such a player and him potentially not playing every week either. In an ideal world we'd have that sort of competition, in the real world there is no chance. It would also be absolutely bonkers for 2 of our 3 best players to be left backs.

Well, if he doesn't want to come here, whats all the fuss about? Also, if Digne gets unhappy and cries a bit (I doubt he will), he's just got to work harder. Not sure why people are getting so bothered about a players feelings on their squad position.

Well, if he doesn't want to come here, whats all the fuss about? Also, if Digne gets unhappy and cries a bit (I doubt he will), he's just got to work harder. Not sure why people are getting so bothered about a players feelings on their squad position.
Is there a fuss? Or are people just making a really obvious observation about the reality of the situation? I'm not bothered about the players feelings, i'm just explaining to you why people think Digne will leave if Reguilon signs. It's because he will.

That’s fine
But this Lad isn’t coming in As a back
Up
Good.

It means that we finally have two players earning their place via performance then rather than automatic.

It's what you call making better signings rather than buying worse. Signing a back up is worse , fine if it's a prime baines you are covering but digne isn't prime baines. So make him play better for his place.

Good.

It means that we finally have two players earning their place via performance then rather than automatic.

It's what you call making better signings rather than buying worse. Signing a back up is worse , fine if it's a prime baines you are covering but digne isn't prime baines. So make him play better for his place.
If we've got £300m to spend that's great and I agree. If we haven't, it would be ridiculous. Left back is literally the only position where virtually everybody is in agreement that we don't need to improve our first choice. We need starters pretty much everywhere, increasing competition at left back instead of improving the starting line up elsewhere would be madness even by Everton's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.