Transfer Rumour Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Neiler saying he's a good passer of the ball, he's progressive...whereas you have him with poor distribution; @Neiler says he's a player looking to get in the box and adding his presence to an overload; you're seeing someone who is not an attacking fielder, just a water carrier.

As said: two different descriptions of the same player; but on the basis of the small amount of evidence I can see he seems to be closer to @Neiler's version.
I don't have him with poor distrubtion? I literally had an entire conversation with you yesterday about how he keeps hold of the ball well and has decent passing range? However, he doesn't rank highly in progressive passes. He isn't creative. And I haven't seen him make many driving runs into the box. That being said he's played under Benitez and then Bruce, so under Howe he seems to have been a bit more of a licence to push on. He isn't an attacking player though. Like I said, he's more akin to the McCarthy, water-carrier type. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all, because that can be useful in sides. We aren't a team that wants a lot of the ball mind, but he can at least get a foot on it and keep it ticking over.

No I think it could change. I just don't think this manager has shown any ability or tendency to do it. When he's convinced something works, he sticks with it. Literally to a fault, as we've seen.
That's nonsense. He changed his style this season early on when we had plenty of wing play and balls in the box.

I don't have him with poor distrubtion? I literally had an entire conversation with you yesterday about how he keeps hold of the ball well and has decent passing range? However, he doesn't rank highly in progressive passes. He isn't creative. And I haven't seen him make many driving runs into the box. That being said he's played under Benitez and then Bruce, so under Howe he seems to have been a bit more of a licence to push on. He isn't an attacking player though. Like I said, he's more akin to the McCarthy, water-carrier type. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all, because that can be useful in sides. We aren't a team that wants a lot of the ball mind, but he can at least get a foot on it and keep it ticking over.
That's confusing.

You're stretching the boundaries of the English language here to make yourself understood.

He has decent passing range but he's not creative. I mean, come on.

He's a Carrick, but merely a water carrier....not my understanding of Carrick's game at all.

@Neiler Longstaff only ever played nine league games under Benitez mate. He played well but his best form actually came at the start of 19-20, under Bruce, though then he did fall out of favour.

His best form was around Feb ‘19. I remember posting on here about him. (I follow Newcastle a lot for reasons I won’t go into)

His best form was around Feb ‘19. I remember posting on here about him. (I follow Newcastle a lot for reasons I won’t go into)
Yeah that was when he came into the team under Benitez. Literally 9 league games, 8 starts, playing mainly in a 541 and once in a 352, across Jan-March 2019. I checked yesterday. He then got that injury. But he was a regular starter at the start of 19-20 and it was around then that the United links were about.

That's confusing.

You're stretching the boundaries of the English language here to make yourself understood.

He has decent passing range but he's not creative. I mean, come on.

He's a Carrick, but merely a water carrier....not my understanding of Carrick's game at all.
No, I didn't say he was a Carrick at all. If you actually read what I said, it was that he almost played a similar role to a Carrick at first and drew comparisons because of his stature and passing, loved a lofted role out from the back. It quickly became apparent, under Bruce, mind, that he wasn't suited to that role and was more about getting about the pitch, being neat and tidy on the ball. Not a natural sitter.

Yes he does have a decent passing range but he isn't creative. Loads of players are like that. Andre Gomes has a good passing range, it'd be a stretch to say he's creative.

No, I didn't say he was a Carrick at all. If you actually read what I said, it was that he almost played a similar role to a Carrick at first and drew comparisons because of his stature and passing, loved a lofted role out from the back. It quickly became apparent, under Bruce, mind, that he wasn't suited to that role and was more about getting about the pitch, being neat and tidy on the ball. Not a natural sitter.

Yes he does have a decent passing range but he isn't creative. Loads of players are like that. Andre Gomes has a good passing range, it'd be a stretch to say he's creative.
I’m not really seeing what it is you’re saying that is so difficult to grasp that you’re having to explain it in multiple posts.

For what it’s worth, your assessment of the player seems pretty fair, spot on and would be agreed with by every Geordie I know, pretty much everyone posting about the player on Toon forums over the last few years and majority of other observers.

He’s a nothing player, we don’t need to be adding averageness like this to the squad. End of.

I’m not really seeing what it is you’re saying that is so difficult to grasp that you’re having to explain it in multiple posts.

For what it’s worth, your assessment of the player seems pretty fair, spot on and would be agreed with by every Geordie I know, pretty much everyone posting about the player on Toon forums over the last few years and majority of other observers.

He’s a nothing player, we don’t need to be adding averageness like this to the squad. End of.

To be fair.

If we were to rely on the opinion of fans from clubs who are selling players to us we would hardly ever buy a player.

Fans opinions are very often influenced by how committed a player is to their club.

Honestly, everything you have said about the player leaves me confused.

I have no idea whether he's creative or a water carrier; a sitting MF player or one who presses on; a player with a broad range of passes or someone who disappoints with his passing.

To be fair.

If we were to rely on the opinion of fans from clubs who are selling players to us we would hardly ever buy a player.

Fans opinions are very often influenced by how committed a player is to their club.
Not in the case of those rangers supporters who came on bigging up Patterson.

I've seen nothing like it: they were being (apparently) asset stripped of one of their promising players and yet they were on here singing his praises and wishing him well and generally ingratiating themselves here.

Dignity FC.

Honestly, everything you have said about the player leaves me confused.

I have no idea whether he's creative or a water carrier; a sitting MF player or one who presses on; a player with a broad range of passes or someone who disappoints with his passing.
He isn't a sitter, as me and @Neiler have both said loads of times.

I agree with Neiler, his best role is a midfielder who is given licence to push on but not because he's some attacking, creative maestro. It's because he wants to hassle opposition players and press and you don't want a sitting player to be doing that all of the time.

In possession, he can help keep things neat with steady passing, he keeps hold of the ball well. He isn't particularly adventurous with it but if you need someone to help keep hold of possession, he can certainly help that.

But your post kind of sums it up, he's very much a middling PL player with no massively strong traits.

To be fair.

Newcastle fans used to rave about him and a lot still rate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.