2023/24 Sean Dyche

….’loving the guy’ is a very emotive term, I assure you I don’t ’love the guy’ but I rate him highly.

I’ve set out my case in another thread for believing his keeping us up was a brilliant management achievement, it’s my view that is right.

There is an argument, however, that he’s one way of playing and could never manage a team with greater quality and the ability to be competitive nearer the top of the league. I actually think he might if some of the stuff earlier in the season is anything to go by. I think there are lazy stereotypes about Dyche and a bit of snobbery that he shouldn’t be managing our club.

Regardless, I accept the doubt as reasonable and possibly correct but I have a feeling he could be better than most think.

We can agree to differ about his part in our future but I will always argue strongly about his achievement in our past.

the one thing about dyche you can’t deny his stubbornness and reluctance to try something new and change his ways.

We could have the best 18 year olds in world football playing in our reserves but they would just get ignored for a veteran player who has “experience” because they’ve got 400 appearances.

Im not saying dobbin is world class or anything but why wasnt he starting against Sheffield United. He scores against Chelsea and disappears into obscurity with the occasional 94th minute appearance. I know he has had his injury problems but Sheffield United would have been the perfect game to start him. Don’t even get me started on the Ashley young debarcle.
How we set up and played against Sheffield United spoke volumes to me. It was a game with nothing on it, it was an opportunity to look at other players from the squad or even from the youth set up. Yes, we won the match, but we did so playing the same dreadful, bodies behind the ball, same tactics, same personnel dirgeball that we've been playing for months. He's got the points, fair play to him, I can't knock the points tally under very difficult circumstances, but the idea that he's playing a different way given the right opportunity is not really backed up by any actual evidence. This is how he plays, it will probably keep us up again next season too, but what you see is what you get.

That's simply not true. He came back from the U21 Euro's with a strain.
Well if he did then he recovered remarkedly quickly from that strain to play for us in pre-season

Funny that

Points total is comparable to Sam Allardyce not Carlo.

Carlo got 59 points which in pretty much every season but the one he got it in, would have had us in Europe.

Dyche had 40m spent on players in the summer. Not as much as Carlo got, but still money being spent.
Dyche got Tarks and also Brantwhaite ( with some good Experience )

Carlo had Keane and also Holgate

Well if he did then he recovered remarkedly quickly from that strain to play for us in pre-season

Funny that

He came back from the U21's with a strain.

He wasn't fully fit for the start of the season.

@GrandOldTeam you remember this as well.

He had a strain, started some games then withdrew from the next international football for planned treatment.

But in my view, if players are fit enough for the bench, they are fit enough to play. Otherwise it’s unnecessary risk on them.

I don’t think Dyche helped himself in terms of people views of it when he kept Keane in the team over Mina last season for as long as he did.

He had a strain, started some games then withdrew from the next international football for planned treatment.

But in my view, if players are fit enough for the bench, they are fit enough to play. Otherwise it’s unnecessary risk on them.

I don’t think Dyche helped himself in terms of people views of it when he kept Keane in the team over Mina last season for as long as he did.

What @RomanReigns said was hyperbole. " The fans made him start Branthwaite " when the fact was he didn't start the season fully fit.

It's like the old arguments about Moyes on Toffeeweb in here. Crap footie, stubborn, plays favourites vs. Pragmatic, gets the Job done in a perilous financial scenario etc.

Good times!
Always good times on here lol

End of the day he got the job done this season. Was it pretty? No. It was awful a fair amount of the time but he’s earned his spot for next season given the turmoil around the club and the points deductions. I’ll admit to being fickle at times like all fans but the reality is we’re likely going to have a worse squad next season and will need to gut it out. Dyche is probably as good as anyone for that role.

Always good times on here lol

End of the day he got the job done this season. Was it pretty? No. It was awful a fair amount of the time but he’s earned his spot for next season given the turmoil around the club and the points deductions. I’ll admit to being fickle at times like all fans but the reality is we’re likely going to have a worse squad next season and will need to gut it out. Dyche is probably as good as anyone for that role.

I love the back and forth tbf. Part of being a footie fan. Imagine applying this level of debate, certainty and "I know best" to stuff that actually matters?

GOT and Everton provide an outlet and a service to mankind.

Anyway, wait until October, poss November, and the annual manager war will break out in earnest.

Can't wait!

What @RomanReigns said was hyperbole. " The fans made him start Branthwaite " when the fact was he didn't start the season fully fit.

He was definitely injured/wasnt deemed fully fit - Branthwaite himself said it. Dyche said a few times he was a few weeks behind others in pre-season.

When fans were screaming for us to sign Coady - others, including Dyche, evidently knew they had Branthwaite.

The second he was fit, he was straight in.

[Edit] "He missed two-and-a-half weeks of pre-season. That would have maybe given him the opportunity to push on and start the season,” added Dyche.

"Once he got fit, he has taken the chance."

"He was very unfortunate in pre-season," Dyche tells Sky Sports.

"He missed two-and-a-half weeks of pre-season. That would have maybe given him the opportunity to push on and start the season." As it was, Branthwaite only had to sit out the first two fixtures, both defeats. He has been a fixture in the team ever since.

"Once he got fit, he has taken the chance."