2023/24 Sean Dyche

The grim reality, for me at least - is his results (should) have us 14th and safe with 7/8 games to go.

That's as good as I think anyone is going to deliver with this squad.

Would I take us being sat on 35 points after 32 games next season? No doubt.

I'd love to believe get over the line and bring in a progressive manager who'd immediately see us kick on but I can't see it because I have such a dim view of this squad.

People moan he plays his favourites, but Doucoure, McNeil etc - there's nobody else who can realistically come in.

Harrison went through a really poor run and all we had to switch it was Ashley Young.

Calvert-Lewin's spell was what it was - hopefully now everyone can see why he was so reluctant to play Beto.

Patterson hasn't shown he's up to it at all, and when margins are so slim I understand the Godfrey/Coleman picks.

The last 3 years results don't lie, this team is desperately poor and relegation fodder.

Clearly, the right manager can make a big difference, but you can't polish a turd. I'm not sure any manager we would attract would have this team deliver results that has us any higher than where Dyche should have us.

We're crap. No pace or ability/goals in the final third.

The last two results have shown two extremes - negative football to the extreme vs Burnley, and open/high line at Chelsea. I know which style this team should be playing.

We dig deep, it's not pretty because we dont have the players with pace or ball progression to carry the ball, or ability in the final third to make the difference. Protect the point, hope to nick a win. That should get us over the line to avoid doing a Sunderland. Or Leeds.

The worry is, and as I've been boring people with since before Christmas is our run is has 'winnable' home games - kryptonite in front of an antsy Goodison. Fans who think we're better than we are. We always bottle that expected pressure - Goodison wont entertain us digging in deep against Sheffield United and our players visibly fade.
That might all be true
but it's 2 wins from 19 over the last 5 months.
I think a replacement for the last few games gives the team (and fans) the bump needed to get over the line.
Even if it's Baines or Coleman. Goodison will be in full support for the remaining home games.
There's enough senior members in the squad to use that to drag the rest over the line.

The grim reality, for me at least - is his results (should) have us 14th and safe with 7/8 games to go.

That's as good as I think anyone is going to deliver with this squad.

Would I take us being sat on 35 points after 32 games next season? No doubt.

I'd love to believe get over the line and bring in a progressive manager who'd immediately see us kick on but I can't see it because I have such a dim view of this squad.

People moan he plays his favourites, but Doucoure, McNeil etc - there's nobody else who can realistically come in.

Harrison went through a really poor run and all we had to switch it was Ashley Young.

Calvert-Lewin's spell was what it was - hopefully now everyone can see why he was so reluctant to play Beto.

Patterson hasn't shown he's up to it at all, and when margins are so slim I understand the Godfrey/Coleman picks.

The last 3 years results don't lie, this team is desperately poor and relegation fodder.

Clearly, the right manager can make a big difference, but you can't polish a turd. I'm not sure any manager we would attract would have this team deliver results that has us any higher than where Dyche should have us.

We're crap. No pace or ability/goals in the final third.

The last two results have shown two extremes - negative football to the extreme vs Burnley, and open/high line at Chelsea. I know which style this team should be playing.

We dig deep, it's not pretty because we dont have the players with pace or ball progression to carry the ball, or ability in the final third to make the difference. Protect the point, hope to nick a win. That should get us over the line to avoid doing a Sunderland. Or Leeds.

The worry is, and as I've been boring people with since before Christmas is our run is has 'winnable' home games - kryptonite in front of an antsy Goodison. Fans who think we're better than we are. We always bottle that expected pressure - Goodison wont entertain us digging in deep against Sheffield United and our players visibly fade.

Why continue with the same starting 11 when it’s not working. He get more sympathy if he tried different things, regardless of who

Why stick to the same formation week after week, as above he’d get more sympathy or support if was at least trying

Why have we spent all season with our fullback literally holding the halfway line. Not giving our wingers an ounce of support on the overlap

Why play Beto has a holdup player when he has the touch of a donkey.

Why play long ball to DCL with not one ounce of a plan to pick up the loose ball. If your gonnna go long then do it, but coach the players to react to the second ball and build from there

Why play Bournemouth and Burnley, teams with lesser quality, and sit back and dig deep and make the game ugly. Then rock up at Chelsea and try to go toe to toe with them.

Why at 6-0 down do you bring on Yousef Chermiti. Why at 4-0 do you bring on Nathan Patterson

Why reference yourself when your team has just been hammered, but you have to let the world know this is YOUR heaviest defeat

Conclusion:
Squad lacks quality but there’s plenty of ways to create chances. Sean Dyche knows one - set piece

I actually didn't mind it at that point I thought we were having a go at trying to get something to hang on to and who knows if Beto had scored maybe it would have worked. As soon as it went to 1-0 it needed to stop though and it didn't.

I took that picture to whatsapp to someone and said "this is going to be Spurs under Lampard".

It took Chelsea a few minutes to suss out.

No way on gods earth this Everton team should be playing like that. At home we need to take the brakes off a bit, but to go and play that high line at Chelsea was as bad a managerial decision as I can recall.

That might all be true
I think a replacement for the last few games gives the team (and fans) the bump needed to get over the line.
Even if it's Baines or Coleman. Goodison will be in full support for the remaining home games.
There's enough senior members in the squad to use that to drag the rest over the line.

mate we’ve had months to
do it

games left we aren’t going to

I took that picture to whatsapp to someone and said "this is going to be Spurs under Lampard".

No way on gods earth this Everton team should be playing like that. At home we need to take the breaks off a bit, but to go and play that high line at Chelsea was as bad a managerial decision as I can recall.
It's only as bad as the several other times we've done it - Chelsea just took their chances as they have an actually incredible talent.

We've done this suicide backline several times in some random bid to be "adventurous", but the plan seems to be "run at them early" more than any coordinated off the ball press.

Why continue with the same starting 11 when it’s not working. He get more sympathy if he tried different things, regardless of who

There's no depth.

Why stick to the same formation week after week, as above he’d get more sympathy or support if was at least trying

Pragmatism/% football. Have an identity - which is be hard to beat/stay in the game.

He tried something new last night.

Why have we spent all season without fullback literally holding the halfway line. Not giving our wingers an ounce of support on the overlap

Aye, it's a massive problem and contribution to our lack of goals.

I'm on record as saying Mykolenko is amongst our worst ever full backs and will never register a single Premier League assist, so I cant now start snarling at Dyche for simplifying his game. He can't beat a man, or cross a ball. All I hope from him is no mistake.

Right back? We haven't got one IMO. Coleman isn't fit/hasn't got the legs - Godfrey isn't a full back and I'm not convinced Patterson gives us anything.

Why play Beto as a holdup player when he has the touch of a donkey.

What other choice does he have last night?

I also said I think he tried to avoid that by having such a high press/line.

If Calvert-Lewin is fit, I dont think we play that high line. I think Dyche has to compensate for Beto.

Why play long ball to DCL with not one ounce of a plan to pick up the loose ball. If your gonnna go long then do it, but coach the players to react to the second ball and build from there

You need legs/runners/pace for that. McNeil? Doucoure doesn't know where he is half the time, never mind anticipating a second/bounce ball. Harrison's form has fell off a cliff. Who else do we have?

Why play Bournemouth and Burnley, teams with lesser quality, and sit back and dig deep and make the game ugly. Then rock up at Chelsea and try to go toe to toe with them.

He should have stuck to digging deep. Trying to "do something different" as many have called for isn't what he should be doing.

Why at 6-0 down do you bring on Yousef Chermiti. Why at 4-0 do you bring on Nathan Patterson

Games gone then - makes no odds.

Why reference yourself when your team has just been hammered, but you have to let the world know this is YOUR heaviest defeat

Conclusion:
Squad lacks quality but there’s plenty of ways to create chances. Sean Dyche knows one - set piece

I shared my conclusion - no manager has this team above 14th.

This summer is vital, but we're a chaotic mess and I'd take the points total he should have us on next season - that's how crap we are.

Why have we spent all season with our fullback literally holding the halfway line. Not giving our wingers an ounce of support on the overlap

Why play Beto has a holdup player when he has the touch of a donkey.

Conclusion:
The formation I agree with but he's changed the starting line up loads I keep seeing people say that but its not true at all.

No way on gods earth this Everton team should be playing like that. At home we need to take the breaks off a bit, but to go and play that high line at Chelsea was as bad a managerial decision as I can recall.
You’re not wrong. The only problem is when we sit in we’ve also got zero pace on the counterattack to actually hurt teams. I would’ve been inclined to square peg it and stick Patterson right mid as a retro Coleman-lite and tell him to just bomb up and down all game. Young and McNeil unfortunately offers nothing if we’re sitting in.

That might all be true

It's grim, but it should be 35 points after 32 games. Again, I take 35 points after 32 games next season - because as far I'm concerned, all that matters is remaining a Premier League team.

Not sure Goodison will be in full support to be honest mate.

Luton at 2-0 down vs Aston Villa were in full support. They recognise they're crap and back their team. We've all had enough and just fume.

If I thought for one minute Baines, who is struggling with our academy, could give us a lift to get us over the line then I'd be all for it. None of us know what Baines would be like and I'm not in "anyone can do better than this" territory because like I keep saying, I'd have taken 17th and I'd take 17th next season.

You’re not wrong. The only problem is when we sit in we’ve also got zero pace on the counterattack to actually hurt teams. I would’ve been inclined to square peg it and stick Patterson right mid as a retro Coleman-lite and tell him to just bomb up and down all game. Young and McNeil unfortunately offers nothing if we’re sitting in.

Exactly, as I said no pace (Gray/Gordon) or ball carrier (Iwobi).

When we push up though, the gaps are exploited because of that zero pace.

When it comes to what else he could realistically do, it always seems to come back to Patterson. Time will tell whether he's capable at this level. Personally I'd have just persevered with Harrison over Young but then fans was on Dyche's case over that.

This summer is vital
Bit of a recurring theme this. The managed decline of the club as a whole is startling. And the support has been dragged along to have our noses rubbed in it.

Until the parasites are removed there can be no new untainted growth. bills set of cronies took the club for an expensive ride, we're now in the clutches of moshiris maniacs, and it seems some penniless asset strip merchants have the green light to pick over the bones next.

I used the term 'managed decline' for a reason, bluster bill was to his train set, worse than thatcher was to merseyside. And that takes some doing!

A pox on his name and his legacy.

There's no depth.

Pragmatism/% football. Have an identity - which is be hard to beat/stay in the game.

He tried something new last night.

Aye, it's a massive problem and contribution to our lack of goals.

I'm on record as saying Mykolenko is amongst our worst ever full backs and will never register a single Premier League assist, so I cant now start snarling at Dyche for simplifying his game. He can't beat a man, or cross a ball. All I hope from him is no mistake.

Right back? We haven't got one IMO. Coleman isn't fit/hasn't got the legs - Godfrey isn't a full back and I'm not convinced Patterson gives us anything.

What other choice does he have last night?

I also said I think he tried to avoid that by having such a high press/line.

If Calvert-Lewin is fit, I dont think we play that high line. I think Dyche has to compensate for Beto.

You need legs/runners/pace for that. McNeil? Doucoure doesn't know where he is half the time, never mind anticipating a second/bounce ball. Harrison's form has fell off a cliff. Who else do we have?

He should have stuck to digging deep. Trying to "do something different" as many have called for isn't what he should be doing.

Games gone then - makes no odds.

I shared my conclusion - no manager has this team above 14th.

This summer is vital, but we're a chaotic mess and I'd take the points total he should have us on next season - that's how crap we are.

I’m on my phone so can’t do the multi quoting:

1. I agree we lack depth; but there is ability change formation and shift things. Going 4-4-1-1 away from home when you want to kill the game is fine. At home there is options, even with our limited squad

2. He didn’t really try something new last night. It was the same formation but his inability to coach allowed massive holes to appear everywhere. He just told them to press but didn’t understand the issues that would cause.

3. Regardless of your thoughts on Patterson he is still there and not being used, he adds pace and an engine. If you’re worried about him being caught out then play someone behind him and use as a right winger - like what Moyes did with Coleman

If Myko is a problem then revert to 3-5-2/3-4-3 in possession and a flat back 4 out of possession with him dipping into the fullback position. When I position he holds the left flank without really pushing forward but is an extra body in midfield for building play. Its very basic tactics that a lot of managers do

4. Beto wants the ball in front of him. If he starts then play is long ball in the channels and let him turn the defenders and stride into it. It gets you up the pitch rather than it bouncing off him at the halfway line and we lose possession.

5. You do not need pace for the long ball game. Think of Fat Sam at Bolton. The entire game plan was Davies challenges the ball and 90% of the time it’s dropping within a couple of feet of him. Your support players then pick it up and build from there. Having someone 20 yards from Dom is defeating the object, it shouts of “don’t concede and hold the line”

6. Yes

7. It does, it’s poor management they’re gaining nothing from it apart from being part of a team that has been hammered. It offers them nothing, they need to be developed