2023/24 Sean Dyche

Yeah, I'm not basing my opinion entirely on the quote from Braithwaite. It just adds to my sense that he's not doing much.

As with anything, you bring to the table what's going on in your own head and frame things from that perspective.

I'm unimpressed with the guy - and I guess looking for reasons he's not getting the best out of these players.

Fair enough mate, you live and die by your opinion.

Personally, i think the team is limited, i think it has to be the heal the wounds financially at the club, it translates onto the pitch, with a lot of teams just having better quality and more depth then us. In a normal season hes done an incredible job. I think hes done an incredible job anyway, but if he keeps us up with the points deduction the dude, is dropping big managerial shapes with what he has had to work with.

Our winning form isnt great, we've finished our worst block of games of the season just gone since Xmas, with injuries, a jadeded squad, a massive lack of depth and lads missing. We've picked up some important points and results in that time. And only been beaten by Spurs, City twice, Utd and Wolves was the only disappointing result and performance to my mind - we were sucker punched by WHU - that happens.

I look at two things, putting in competitive performances - we are doing that and have lads improved and giving it their all - i see that to.

I said a realistic expectation at the start of the season was - we were competing in a league of the bottom 10, without the points deduction we are sitting nicely in that and a year of progress on the one before, with it we are in the fight of our lives, but i have total faith that if anyone can get us out of it its this manager as hes already proven he can clock 31 points in this league this season and he wont melt within the adversity we are heading into.

Last edited:
I'm all for slating Dyche but maybe sometimes being 'hands off' is good for a players development.

Our defence has come on leaps and bounds. The problem is scoring goals where he should probably bring in an attacking coach rather than blind faith the Xg will correct itself

I'm all for slating Dyche but maybe sometimes being 'hands off' is good for a players development.

Our defence has come on leaps and bounds. The problem is scoring goals where he should probably bring in an attacking coach rather than blind faith the Xg will correct itself
I should say, for all my criticism, in this instance, I agree.

Braithwaite is doing just fine and I'm pleased Dyche isn't trying to force coaching on him that he doesn't need.

Yeah, you're right - delegation matters, of course it does.

But surely a head coach ought to have a significant amount of direct involvement with the players? Imparting clear instruction, experience, wisdom - it's not just a paper pushing managerial role to make sure a job is done, the word 'coach' implies a relationship other managerial roles don't necessitate.

I just don't see a lot, or hear a lot, to suggest he's as involved as I'd expect him to be.
I think that’s the difference for me as well. Whilst in business everything @Neiler says is correct, and that is tru to a certain extent in any performance related industry, I would imagine that Klopp and Guardiola are not hands off. SAF was very hands off, as he delegated all coaching duties to Muelensteen and Phelan, but he had earned the right to do that, not sure Dyche has (particularly when results are poor).

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the most successful coaches of the last 10 years in the PL age been hands on ….the above two plus Arteta, Conte and Poch. I think this is the way forward.

Makes sense being hands off, must be hands off with the forwards as well because the regression has been huge.
Overall, it's as pathetic as the previous years with no progress. Doubtful we will do that by a lot at Dyche. We are at the same point as 12/22-01/23 in our form apart from not losing to all our direct competitors.. we have 7 goals more than the same time as last year. But that‘s still not good.

That's letting him off the hook, I'm afraid.

He has to work with what he has. No ifs, no buts.

It also ignores the fact that these players have scored plenty in the past - including this very season. It's in them, and it's Dyche's job to get it out.

Wouldn't agree mate, we've sold 150 odd million in attacking talent, more if you include Iwobi and Gray - which i dont in the last 18 odd months.

What did we think would happen.

The only person in the squad who has got double digits, is Dom and sadly hes regressed and hasnt been at it for three years now. There are reasons hes still here, hes a risk, thus hes a risk here and so it is.

We've a very limited attacking unit lets be honest and sold anything not nailed down.

If you sell all your goal scorers it makes perfect sense to me that you arent scoring any goals.

If your a writer and i sell your type writer, its a bit unfair to ask you to write a novel.

Last edited:
No.

Mykolenko can at least push forward as he's done and scored, even if his crossing is a bit meh.
Patterson can push forward as he's done to at least cross/attack but he's clearly instructed not to.

Coleman/Young/Godfrey on the right is defenseball 💯 as we also play a winger on the halfway line to protect the right back.

Ultimately, this is how Dyche has set up his entire career and he will continue to do exactly that.

I guess it depends on whether you see the wingers main job being protecting the fullback as something we default do or something we do because our right backs are poo.

On the left, McNeil will go inside a lot and seemingly be more comfortable leaving Mykolenko a bit more exposed. I think that's because him and the manager back Mykolenko to deal with it should it come back to him more than they would on the right.

It's just hard to say for me, mate. We saw Patterson getting forward a bit in the early part of the season, but then the manager was playing Garner at right-mid.

I do just wonder what his set up would be if we had 2 fullbacks who were categorically competent at both ends of the pitch is all. Right now I don't think we have one. Coleman technically, but he's old.

Wouldn't agree mate, we've sold 150 odd million in attacking talent, more if you include Iwobi and Gray - which i dont in the last 18 odd months.

What did we think would happen.

The only person in the squad who has got double digits, is Dom and sadly hes regressed and hasnt been at it for three years now. There are reasons hes still here, hes a risk, thus hes a risk here and so it is.

We've a very limited attacking unit lets be honest and sold anything not nailed down.

If you sell all your goal scorers it makes perfect sense to me that you arent scoring any goals.

If your a writer and i sell your type writer, its a bit unfair to ask you to write a novel.
You wouldn't agree that Dyche is ultimately responsible for getting the players scoring again?

He just has to hold his hands up and hope? He doesn't have to change anything about his approach?

That's such a terrifyingly defeatist mindset - and we're absolutely finished if Dyche shares it.

You wouldn't agree that Dyche is ultimately responsible for getting the players scoring again?

He just has to hold his hands up and hope? He doesn't have to change anything about his approach?

That's such a terrifyingly defeatist mindset - and we're absolutely finished if Dyche shares it.

There is a problem with finishing at the club, not in chance creation to my mind or attacking, its quality of finishing and quality overall.

Why do we lack quality in finishing, we sold a 150 mill worth of attacking players in 18 odd months - what did we think was going to happen.

I mean whats more likely, Dyche has never spoken or worked with the forwards or we sold anything that could finish in the PL for North of 150 mill and now struggle to finish chances. I dont know why people dont make more of this or understand it.

Its simple cause and effect.

Do i think a Dyche team scores more goals with Richarlison or Gordon in it and more forward options - yes i do.

Last edited: