2023/24 Sean Dyche

A few things I picked up on that I wasn’t sure about with Dyche.

Beto scored and did a weird dance. I am not even arsed if he moon walked I’m just happy he scored.

A short time later after Dobbin scored and celebrated very passionately, Dyche commented about how it was a great passionate celebration and none of this silly dancing stuff. I don’t think he needed to say that. They both scored goals, tell them well done.

Then he made comments about talking to some of the players who mentioned it’s en vogue to score certain types of goals, I’m guessing in terms of artistic or cocky finishes or the way they strike the ball to achieve an affect etc and he didn’t approve.

It kind of stinks of Lampard telling the players to “express themselves” so they tried a few things that didn’t work and he’s there shouting “wtf are you doing” then dropping players because of mistakes.

I feel like Dyche is that old school “put in the hard work none of this silly stuff, it’s 1943 boy you are lucky you’re not on the front line!” type mentality.

There has to be somewhere in between, to get the players on side but at the same time push them. To be approachable, authorities, but respected and revered by your players.

With our remaining fixtures being the teams around us, the last 10 games really are ours to be thrown away. Win 2 games, draw 2 games and I think we will be safe. Let’s watch us mess this up haha COYB!

"He's a very hands off manager."

The more I read about Dyche, the more I wonder what he actually does.

Woan talked in an interview a few weeks back about how Dyche decides a plan for the upcoming game (given every week is the same plan I don't really know how hard that is) - and then he lets the coaching staff get on with communicating that to the players over the week. Dyche just walks around "maintaining standards," apparently.

All I know that constitutes for sure - because I've seen it multiple times in behind the scenes videos from the club - is feeling the players' shins to see if they are wearing shin pads in training.

"He's a very hands off manager."

The more I read about Dyche, the more I wonder what he actually does.

Woan talked in an interview a few weeks back about how Dyche decides a plan for the upcoming game (given every week is the same plan I don't really know how hard that is) - and then he lets the coaching staff get on with communicating that to the players over the week. Dyche just walks around "maintaining standards," apparently.

All I know that constitutes for sure - because I've seen it multiple times in behind the scenes videos from the club - is feeling the players' shins to see if they are wearing shin pads in training.

Yeah i dont know mate, one of the arts of management is delegation, empowerment and advising without micromanagement, often people go further when they are trusted but also supported when needed, its actually a delicate but important balance.

Jarrod's a good case study as is Jimmy Garner.

Yeah i dont know mate, one of the arts of management is delegation, empowerment and advising without micromanagement, often people go further when they are trusted but also supported when needed, its actually a delicate but important balance.

Jarrod's a good case study as is Jimmy Garner.
Yeah, you're right - delegation matters, of course it does.

But surely a head coach ought to have a significant amount of direct involvement with the players? Imparting clear instruction, experience, wisdom - it's not just a paper pushing managerial role to make sure a job is done, the word 'coach' implies a relationship other managerial roles don't necessitate.

I just don't see a lot, or hear a lot, to suggest he's as involved as I'd expect him to be.

Yeah, you're right - delegation matters, of course it does.

But surely a head coach ought to have a significant amount of direct involvement with the players? Imparting clear instruction, experience, wisdom - it's not just a paper pushing managerial role to make sure a job is done, the word 'coach' implies a relationship other managerial roles don't necessitate.

I just don't see a lot, or hear a lot, to suggest he's as involved as I'd expect him to be.

I dont see anything in Jarrods quote that suggests otherwise mate. I think its a bit of jump to say he doesnt do any of what you suggest.

Ferguson famously never took training, Dyche is always on the training pitch when ever i see the training vids. A lot of training is maintaining fitness or gym work i can understand if hes not there for that or that is not a good use of time watching lads run around cones or lifting weights, for the technical, tactics parts id imagine that's the key point of interaction, hours these days are spent in doors in the video lab.

I could see someone like Benitiez or Moyes micromanageing, but thats not often great.

I suppose for me personally i look at who has kicked on since he's been here, Branthwaite, Garner, Idrissa, Myko, The Duke and McNeill, spring to mind as lads who have improved since hes been here, i can only think of Dom who has arguably regressed.

I dont see anything in Jarrods quote that suggests otherwise mate. I think its a it of jump to say he doesnt do any of what you suggest.

Ferguson famously never took training, Dyche is always on the trainng pitch when ever i see the training vids.

I could see someone like Benitiez or Moyes micromanageing, byt thats not often great.

I suppose for me personally i look at who has kicked on since he's been here, Branthwaite, Garner, Idrissa, Myko, The Duke and McNeill, spring to mind as lads who have improved since hes been here, i can only think of Dom who has arguably regressed.
Yeah, I'm not basing my opinion entirely on the quote from Braithwaite. It just adds to my sense that he's not doing much.

As with anything, you bring to the table what's going on in your own head and frame things from that perspective.

I'm unimpressed with the guy - and I guess looking for reasons he's not getting the best out of these players.

It really doesnt im afraid.

You know what does sound great, play 2 fullbacks at fullback and tell them to push on.

As much as I am a fan of Dyche, his refusal to utilise the fullbacks is an annoyance.

But on the flipside, is it just personnel? Mykolenko is quite limited going forward on one side, and beyond a 68 year old Coleman, we really don't have a good option on the right. I personally, would just play Patterson because even though he's crap, he's the only one who can still improve. Also just gives us a bit more pace down that side.

Will be interesting to see if Patterson starts in a post slap world.

As much as I am a fan of Dyche, his refusal to utilise the fullbacks is an annoyance.

But on the flipside, is it just personnel? Mykolenko is quite limited going forward on one side, and beyond a 68 year old Coleman, we really don't have a good option on the right. I personally, would just play Patterson because even though he's crap, he's the only one who can still improve. Also just gives us a bit more pace down that side.

Will be interesting to see if Patterson starts in a post slap world.
No.

Mykolenko can at least push forward as he's done and scored, even if his crossing is a bit meh.
Patterson can push forward as he's done to at least cross/attack but he's clearly instructed not to.

Coleman/Young/Godfrey on the right is defenseball 💯 as we also play a winger on the halfway line to protect the right back.

Ultimately, this is how Dyche has set up his entire career and he will continue to do exactly that.