2023/24 Sean Dyche

Nothing suggests to me this club is going to break the cycle of failure anytime soon so you're right in saying that Dyche is a good fit when all we are trying to do is keep out of the relegation zone.
What would you suggest we do ?
Who would you suggest they appoint instead of Dyche ?

A realistic answer please, something that even has a vague chance of happening.

Yet again this weekend he’s proved his completely incapable of a plan B. Wonder what our XG is from open play disregarding set pieces. If you’re going to put 11 men behind the ball make sure you keep teams out. He’s hardly mentioned the deduction all season and dismissed it as ‘noise’ but now results have slumped he’s now using that as an excuse. It’s not good enough we’ve potentially got 2 free weekends coming up after United if them lot win on Wednesday. I’d be drawing up a shortlist now and then after Man U we can give the new man 2 and a bit weeks before our next game to come up with a plan. 3 home wins and we’re entering March he’s not doing a good job at all and talks a very good game off the pitch so fans are willing to give him more time IMO. Thrown away two massive opportunities to get 6 points over the last 7 days and that unfortunately comes down to his approach and dealing with in game scenarios. He’s one very very unlikeable man

I doubt many fans are judging him based on whatever he says off the pitch. I think Ive only listened to one press conference

He has the majority willing to give him more time because IMO the majority agree with me that these couple seasons are only about staying up. This is not your normal situation. we are a mess, and in that mess he has somehow gotten 31 points on the pitch and even with a deduction still has us out of the bottom 3 and close to two other teams above us.

He will only be in danger if we go into and stay in the bottom 3, especially if we go behind by a few points. Failing that he will be left in place.

This club stayed up by the skin of its teeth two seasons in a row, but suddenly it's a shock that we have gone a while without a win and look crap?

He's not great, and theres loads to criticise, but he is still on track to achieve what I believe is his only goal. Personally it's been easy to ignore how bad we play as I only care about the table.

Amazing really isn't it. Granted, our results are very streaky, but our PPG return is improving, no matter how you try and look at it.

Performances aren't great but we should be 13th in the table.

And people still try and claim we're going backwards.
It depends what metrics you use!

Someone against Dyche could use our record of our last 9 games (5 points) against the 9 games previous to that (19 points) to the 9 games previous to that (10 points) and claim we are regressing and teams are finding out ways to stop the threat we pose in a Dyche system or our style of play was not sustainable!

That would obviously be what someone against Dyche would say!

What would you suggest we do ?
Who would you suggest they appoint instead of Dyche ?

A realistic answer please, something that even has a vague chance of happening.

Keep Dyche because I think he will keep us up and provide some sort of stability. A new manager that's inexperienced could easily take us down over the next couple of seasons.

Actually I think it's about your appetite for risk

Which of the 3 do I feel more comfortable with in regards to staying up

- Dyche stays and continues doing what he needs to do to get the points needed, crap football and major flaws and all. The risk is the current run continues long enough to leave us sitting in the bottom 3 say in April

- Dyche changes up and makes us more expansive and pushing forward more with the risk of leaving us more open in defense

- Dyche is sacked, and we wait for our incompetent mess of a club to appoint somebody else to try wring a few extra points out of our poor squad with the risk the appointment is bad and their ideas on how to get us playing better don't work or don't work right away and need time

I still feel waaay more comfortable with the first option, regardless of the flaws and our form

Actually, you are totally wrong.
Given where we are he is 100% the right Everton manager for 2024.

It isn't what we want but anyone who lives even close to the real world will realise this.

The notion that Everton are a big club who should have a top class manager is about 30 years out of date.

We are screwed financially, have suffered a points deduction because of apparently breaking PL rules, we have a tiny squad of players we can actually play, we still have some very expensive players who never actually play and it doesn't look like it is going to improve a lot any time sooner.

In the circumstances Dyche with the players at his disposal is doing a remarkable job.
Yes, that's me mate, 30yrs out of date and I frigging hate it.
The thing being in those 30 years we've had decent managers but an inept and incompetent board to go with them.

It depends what metrics you use!

Someone against Dyche could use our record of our last 9 games (5 points) against the 9 games previous to that (19 points) to the 9 games previous to that (10 points) and claim we are regressing and teams are finding out ways to stop the threat we pose in a Dyche system or our style of play was not sustainable!

That would obviously be what someone against Dyche would say!

Aye, hence me saying our results have been streaky.

I still firmly believe that he needs to have a proper 'Plan B' though. Making one or two subs on 70-80 minutes that, for the most part, are like-for-likes doesn't really work. We need at least a couple of variations in our system that are dictated by most given situations.

I think he needs to be braver in considering a 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 in games we're anticipated to be leading on in the offensive stats. This pretty much covers the home games against the six teams around us, so there's two or three opportunities for us remaining in the season to adopt a more positive approach in our play.

For me, he needs to start utilising an additional attacker in his lineups. He's leaning heavily on the likes of Doucoure, McNeil & Harrison to provide the supply for DCL and it's become entirely predictable at this point. For me, Dom either needs another striker alongside him or we need to sacrifice a midfielder for a more progressive forward player. He really aught to be getting Patterson more involved as well, certainly in a wing-back capacity if anything..

----

Pickford

Tarkowski
- Branthwaite - Mykolenko

Patterson
---- Garner ---- Onana ---- McNeil

Doucoure

DCL
------ Dobbin

----

Pickford

Coleman - Tarkowski - Branthwaite - Mykolenko

Harrison
--- Garner --- Onana --- McNeil

DCL ------ Doucoure

----

Pickford

Coleman
- Tarkowski - Branthwaite - Mykolenko

Garner
------- Onana ------- McNeil

Doucoure

DCL
---------- Beto
Just a few examples of more attacking lineups/systems he can experiment with. I've said for weeks now that, when we're on the ball, we seem all too eager to bypass the midfield altogether and go direct.. so if that's the case, just get another body up there at least.

A big problem we have at the moment is options. You can swap out Beto and DCL or even play them together but they are quite similar in profile. Chermitti seems to be a bit more technical but he's young and I don't think we'll start seeing him until we're safe.

Our wide options are average at best with McNeil and Harrison being similar in profile, Danjuma is a good attacking option to have out wide, shame he's just never really kicked on and it looks like he's out for a few weeks. Dobbin is the wild card, I would like to see more of him but I understand why we don't.

In the middle, the only real progressive player is Onana. Garner has shown some signs but I honestly think Dyche just starts him all the time because he's a willing runner and has good set-piece delivery. Gueye is brilliant at what he does but he has his limitations in possession and Doucoure isn't the player you want collecting the ball off your Cbs.

I like your idea of going of going to a back 3 and using Patterson and McNeil as the wingbacks though. If you've got DCL and/or Beto in there, both have the delivery to find them.

Is it a coincidence that Branthwaite has made 23 PL starts?

Could the 'progress' purely be in the 2nd 25 games we have had a really really good centre back in the team instead of Michael Keane.

It will be a factor to the improved defensive metrics. Not the whole story, but a factor sure. We saw the impact that a fit Mina had in the last 4/5 games of last season.

It would be a stretch to claim our improved attacking metrics are a result of Branthwaite being in the team though. The post I replied to showed us improved in goals scored, but beyond that, a few quick googles shows you that our chances created and xG numbers are right up there this season. They were pathetic under Benitez and Lampard.

I still firmly believe that he needs to have a proper 'Plan B' though. Making one or two subs on 70-80 minutes that, for the most part, are like-for-likes doesn't really work. We need at least a couple of variations in our system that are dictated by most given situations.

I think he needs to be braver in considering a 4-4-2 or even 4-3-3 in games we're anticipated to be leading on in the offensive stats. This pretty much covers the home games against the six teams around us, so there's two or three opportunities for us remaining in the season to adopt a more positive approach in our play.

For me, he needs to start utilising an additional attacker in his lineups. He's leaning heavily on the likes of Doucoure, McNeil & Harrison to provide the supply for DCL and it's become entirely predictable at this point. For me, Dom either needs another striker alongside him or we need to sacrifice a midfielder for a more progressive forward player. He really aught to be getting Patterson more involved as well, certainly in a wing-back capacity if anything..

----

Pickford

Tarkowski
- Branthwaite - Mykolenko

Patterson
---- Garner ---- Onana ---- McNeil

Doucoure

DCL
------ Dobbin

----

Pickford

Coleman - Tarkowski - Branthwaite - Mykolenko

Harrison
--- Garner --- Onana --- McNeil

DCL ------ Doucoure

----

Pickford

Coleman
- Tarkowski - Branthwaite - Mykolenko

Garner
------- Onana ------- McNeil

Doucoure

DCL
---------- Beto
Just a few examples of more attacking lineups/systems he can experiment with. I've said for weeks now that, when we're on the ball, we seem all too eager to bypass the midfield altogether and go direct.. so if that's the case, just get another body up there at least.
All very nicely put and laid out mate!

But there is absolutely no point saying some of this stuff of 'what he should or needs to do' because he wont do it!

The guy is 50 games in now and he isn't going to change his styles, his selections or his way of making substitutions

Actually I think it's about your appetite for risk

Which of the 3 do I feel more comfortable with in regards to staying up

- Dyche stays and continues doing what he needs to do to get the points needed, crap football and major flaws and all. The risk is the current run continues long enough to leave us sitting in the bottom 3 say in April

- Dyche changes up and makes us more expansive and pushing forward more with the risk of leaving us more open in defense

- Dyche is sacked, and we wait for our incompetent mess of a club to appoint somebody else to try wring a few extra points out of our poor squad with the risk the appointment is bad and their ideas on how to get us playing better don't work or don't work right away and need time

I still feel waaay more comfortable with the first option, regardless of the flaws and our form

I think that's most of our opinions mate!

There is no point in changing or sacking him....he will keep us up! Job done as far as he is concerned!
There is no point getting some sort of progressive 'out there' coach with mad fun ideas and an exuberance for 5 under 19s until there are the right sort of surroundings in place for a coach like that to be able to do there job properly.

we have an absent owner, potential new owners could be even worse, a half built stadium, all sorts of charges still up in the air and potential other ones around the corner, loans coming out our ears for running costs!

As long as we are in this sort of predicament i'm ok with him being around, if we ever get our heads together and are able to spend abit of cash, i dont want him anywere near our team or recruitment policy's! If Beto is anything to go by!

1 -0 up playing against 10 men and we let them equalise and all Dyche can do is about the 9 extra minutes.

Which planet is he on ?
9 min in this game were too high surely, but we conceded in 90+5 not 90+11. We played well from min 25-85, basically they didn't have chances, but looked like a chicken pile in the last 5 + extra time after the red. That shouldn't happen.