2023/24 Sean Dyche

There is no obsession with Dyche at all. He gets rightly criticised for his poor decision making and gets rightly applauded for trying to glue the whole crap show together.

There's no one in charge to sack him

Benitez should have been sacked within 10 minutes of being appointed the useless gobshite.
Should have stopped the season under Benitez after 5 games.

30 points without the deduction for a team that was in absolute shambles and still has glaring flaws is impressive and he should get plaudits for it but im starting to notice some regression to our approach that wasnt evident earlier in the season. We've always been abysmal at finishing but we had a slew of games where we had numerous shots on target, and even some rare moments of sliding the ball into the box , now we're just sitting back and lobbing imprecise
Crosses , hoping something happens. Feels very last days of frank attacking wise.

Obviously our squad is limited but his recent lineups have really hindered the likelihood of effective attacking forays. We keep sitting back but with mcneil it's hard launch a counterattack. I was very irked with the Palace game as there was no reason to play it so defensive minded.

Benitez was sacked for 1 win in 13 Dyche has 1 in 12 , surely in that case the pressure should be mounting on Dyche ?but the fan base seems to have a weird obsession with him for whatever reason
There is literally no one in charge capable of sacking him, has the safest job in football. Moshiri has given up so he won't be arsed paying off yet another management team. Club needs new owners ASAP or this nightmare rollercoaster will keep on rolling year on year.

It's scarily obvious that dyche has hit a brickwall, whilst making us more defensively solid he has completely screwed up what little attacking prowess we had.

If we survive AGAIN this season then a massive broom, investment and restructure of the entire playing style is required in the summer. That can't happen without some serious good fortune, talent and real impetus to change. Think we have suffered enough now.

I'm not advocating sacking dyche but if we can achieve some stability behind the scenes which seems like quite a feat , and want to actually start evolving as a club , I don't think dyche is the man to orchestrate that effort, he's decent for halting a slide and instilling some resilience when the resources are limited but he's no moyes

So obviously I'd keep him for the season but he's never going to change overall he's very rooted to his philosophy of pragmatism, so he can show times where he is more adventurous he's always going to revert to his baseline mentality

Does that equally apply to the forwards?

Yeah probably, but there are a few caveats to it (as I'm sure there are for the defensive argument in fairness).

Suring up a defense can have a negative impact on your attack... if your natural shape is to sit deep and have your wide men tracking back, it's more difficult to get up the pitch quickly to create goal scoring opportunities - which is why set pieces can be so important.

To be honest with you, I don't think it's our chance creation that's the issue... it's our chance conversion. Again, plenty of room for argument regarding 'DO WE NOT DO FINISHING PRACTISE' and 'he's the one who picks the forwards' etc, but if DCL had converted even 10% of the chances he's had over the last couple months we'd have more points on the board.

Yeah probably, but there are a few caveats to it (as I'm sure there are for the defensive argument in fairness).

Suring up a defense can have a negative impact on your attack... if your natural shape is to sit deep and have your wide men tracking back, it's more difficult to get up the pitch quickly to create goal scoring opportunities - which is why set pieces can be so important.

To be honest with you, I don't think it's our chance creation that's the issue... it's our chance conversion. Again, plenty of room for argument regarding 'DO WE NOT DO FINISHING PRACTISE' and 'he's the one who picks the forwards' etc, but if DCL had converted even 10% of the chances he's had over the last couple months we'd have more points on the board.
I'm the last one to argue that DCL is a natural finisher but if all your forward play is predicated on him it begs the question, why is Dyche still selecting him?

Absolutely no doubt that Dyche has ( same as every team he's managed ) set us up as a defensive team to play on the counter and to profit from set pieces.

The major flaw with that is that we have zero pace in the team.

Dyche is a very limited manager who has little or no tactical flexibility.

Combine that with a mindset that he will select favourites regardless of form and you get the reason why we have an inability to win matches

The only voice coming out of the club about anything is Dyche’s. The emails they push out are pathetic; “Win a car sticker”, “Bottomless brunch for 2 at The Hot Wok”, “Dangle your kids from the top balcony in our Super Prize Draw”, “How to win washing the match kit for a month”… It’s all distraction carrot dangling garbage.

Where are Moshiri and Chong on the deduction and takeover? Where is the excitement and hope for the future from them in our wonderful new stadium?

They have left Dyche to deal with the lot for the fans and the media including trying to get a result from that squad of players. We have every right to go wild at Masters and the PL but don’t let these jokers off the hook for everything they also (haven’t) done.

I'm the last one to argue that DCL is a natural finisher but if all your forward play is predicated on him it begs the question, why is Dyche still selecting him?

Absolutely no doubt that Dyche has ( same as every team he's managed ) set us up as a defensive team to play on the counter and to profit from set pieces.

The major flaw with that is that we have zero pace in the team.

Dyche is a very limited manager who has little or no tactical flexibility.

Combine that with a mindset that he will select favourites regardless of form and you get the reason why we have an inability to win matches

I singled out DCL in my post, but in reality there are plenty of other regulars in our team who are guilty of missing sitters. FWIW - I think the reason Dyche is still selecting him is simply because he's the best centre forward at the club.

Agree on the pace. Only Dobbin and Danjuma jump out at me as players who have out and out pace and the ability to beat a man, but for whatever reason Dyche doesn't fancy them. I'd imagine he doesn't want to sacrifice the shape of the team, hence why he picks his 'favourites', as they're the more disciplined option.

And I disagree with your final statement - our inability to win matches for the most part this season is a result of us not being clinical enough in front of goal.

Benitez was sacked for 1 win in 13 Dyche has 1 in 12 , surely in that case the pressure should be mounting on Dyche ?but the fan base seems to have a weird obsession with him for whatever reason

A weird obsession? It’s a whole thread of people criticising him. He’s gained 30 points this season, we’d probably have been about 4 or 5 points away from a total that will be enough to stay up without the points deduction. All this from a squad that has battled relegation up to the last two games in the previous 2 seasons.

Even with the points deductions he still has us currently on the right side of the line. That’s with us selling Gordon as soon as he walked through the door, selling both young striking prospects, and not spending anything in two successive Jan transfer windows. Honestly what did some people expect from him when he walked through the door last season? Every single person would have taken him keeping us up and then having us 12th the season after in February a handful of points from safety and ten above the drop zone. Every single one.

The points deduction isn’t his fault.