2023/24 Sean Dyche

So you want Dobbin to now play in that doucoure style role because thats where he'd be if he came on. Although maybe you want to change the entire shape of the team just so Dobbin can play?
Nah, I want him to be on the wing where his place should be - this game wasn't for him, but a change in the 85th or whatever minute is equally as pointless and won't change anything in 99% of the cases - the only time it has in what would be a year soon was Simms vs Chelsea.

Experimenting or trying out a winger in a game where you have nothing to lose, which was this game essentially, isn't illegal is my point. Seeing as this game was a write off - why not try the lad?

Nah, I want him to be on the wing where his place should be - this game wasn't for him, but a change in the 85th or whatever minute is equally as pointless and won't change anything in 99% of the cases - the only time it has in what would be a year soon was Simms vs Chelsea.

Experimenting or trying out a winger in a game where you have nothing to lose, which was this game essentially, isn't illegal is my point. Seeing as this game was a write off - why not try the lad?
I imagine it comes down to saving legs.

Without Doucoure in the team, don’t think he really knows how we will score goals, other than set pieces. Every time Doucoure’s been out injured, last season and twice this season it’s coincided with us struggling to win a game and score a goal.

Just don’t have a player who contributes to midfield and has the legs/instinct to get in the box and score a goal. System relies on it so much, DCL is so isolated.

For what/when though? And whose legs really - how are we saving legs if McNeil/Doucoure/Harrison are ran into the ground for 80 min and we give "fresh legs" 5-10?
Well I imagine we wouldn't be best pleased if McNeil or Gueye pulled a hammy in the last 15 mins chasing a lost cause. Use some common sense

I think something quite significant happened in the 90 seconds prior to that double substitution m8
1707600624513.png

SUPER rested.

Without Doucoure in the team, don’t think he really knows how we will score goals, other than set pieces. Every time Doucoure’s been out injured, last season and twice this season it’s coincided with us struggling to win a game and score a goal.

Just don’t have a player who contributes to midfield and has the legs/instinct to get in the box and score a goal. System relies on it so much, DCL is so isolated.
It’s also probably fair to ask if Doucoure is really going to keep scoring this much. 4 of his 6 goals are rebounds of saves/blocks/shots off the post and while goal poaching is genuinely good it’s probably not good for your goal scoring to be dependent on someone who isn’t a striker and who spends a decent amount of time away from the box to be the one you’re relying on to do it.

I seriously worry that it’s the cure all people want it to be, and even if it is, a strategy that relies on having Doucoure play as a free roamer who ends up closer to a second striker than anything in possession feels like a plan with limited upside.