2023/24 Sean Dyche

Man City are the most boring team to watch for me, Pepball without Messi is turgid and attritional.

Like when Spain 1-nil'd their way to a world cup and all the pundits told us what purists they are when it was absolute eye aids every single game.
Yup, bloodless nerd football.

It's actually quite negative as it is all about not losing control. But stick Messi into that as the diamond tip and it becomes gloriously cutting.

Direct football can be extremely entertaining, and it’s the type of football I want to see an Everton team play. Front foot, aggressive and moving the ball quickly.

The last 2 games haven’t been like that for large spells, with us camped back and surrendering possession almost instantly or knocking it long to no runners.

But was I arsed at full time yesterday?
Not a chance.

Can't agree fella but that's what's great about football and indeed life.

If we all liked the same thing then the world would be a boring place.

Personally I watch Everton because I love Everton and City when on TV because I love football.
City where more entertaining pre Pep. They had more individuals who would produce inspirational moments. Peps team play in a very sterile controlled away. I can admire the skill and ability to do that but it's quite boring to watch a lot of time.

Xavi and Iniesta were pretty good too like
I loved Iniesta - he could tiki-taka with the best of them - and score goals.

Xavi, not so much. He was marvelous at what he did - totally control a game - but he didn't excite me. He was like clockwork, a marvel in his own right, but there was no jeopardy at all in his game. From an aesthetic perspective, I like a little risk when watching football. Xavi was utterly reliable and took no risks. Marvelous player, but not one I particularly enjoyed watching.

Does anybody know what our xG was yesterday?

1.51 for us
1.73 for Palace

1699819195187.png

Man City are the most boring team to watch for me, Pepball without Messi is turgid and attritional.

Like when Spain 1-nil'd their way to a world cup and all the pundits told us what purists they are when it was absolute eye aids every single game.

I Know im picking out an individual game but City's game against Real Madrid in last seasons CL semi final was possibly the best football ive ever seen. They made madrid, packed with experienced international players, look like a pub side.

There’s a Moyes like feel to this team now. I know I wasn’t alone in eventually tiring of Moyes ‘knife to a gunfight’ attitude to too many games, but given the situation we were in when Dyche took over, I will absolutely take that right now. We’re competing in every game we play. There may be a run where we lose 2-3 tight games in a row, but we’ll have enough about us to hopefully be comfortably safe this season.
Moyes is like the girl that done your head in cos she was too straight, then after a series of crazies you long for those days again.

I loved Iniesta - he could tiki-taka with the best of them - and score goals.

Xavi, not so much. He was marvelous at what he did - totally control a game - but he didn't excite me. He was like clockwork, a marvel in his own right, but there was no jeopardy at all in his game. From an aesthetic perspective, I like a little risk when watching football. Xavi was utterly reliable and took no risks. Marvelous player, but not one I particularly enjoyed watching.

Xavi scored a lot more than Iniesta?

Busquets was the boring functional player but one of the most effective of all time in his role. Xavi and Iniesta both had an X factor though. Xavi was excellent at ghosting into the box and chipping in with goals.

Last edited: