2023/24 Sean Dyche

The sooner we are only playing two of Garner/Gueye/Doucoure/Obama, the better. Hoping for Garner and Onana to start together, but won't hold my breath. Come on Sean, sort it.

A good start would be playing Gana, Onana and Garner in the correct positions.

Hes meant to be someone that does the simple things well and embeds a solid structure.

Im seeing alot of naive schoolboy type tactics.

We can't afford to sack him.
This argument is put forward all the time in football but to be honest I just don't get it.
Every football club knows that when they employ a manager that the likelihood is the will eventually have to sack him.
Ideally they would love to keep him for over 10 years but football isn't like that so you have to be prepared to pay what ever it costs when the time comes.
I am not saying now is the time to sack Dyche but he is definitely underperforming and the alarm bells are starting to ring .We very nearly left it too late last year with Lampard we can't make that same mistake again.

A good start would be playing Gana, Onana and Garner in the correct positions.

Hes meant to be someone that does the simple things well and embeds a solid structure.

Im seeing alot of naive schoolboy type tactics.
I mean, soon we'll likely get to the point where draws won't be enough otherwise we'll end up at Christmas being about 10 points adrift, so thankfully (hopefully) he'll have to abandon his safety first approach and play all of Harrison, McNeil and Danjuma behind a striker, which removes the issue of playing four defensive central midfiders at the same time.

I think your onana comments are daft.
Ok why? He shows glimpses here and there and is imposing in little snippets of the game but I am yet to see him really impose himself across the 90 minutes. He may become great….I don’t see it with us. That’s why I think he is overrated. I think he becomes a better player in a better team.

Ok why? He shows glimpses here and there and is imposing in little snippets of the game but I am yet to see him really impose himself across the 90 minutes. He may become great….I don’t see it with us. That’s why I think he is overrated. I think he becomes a better player in a better team.

He's a midfield anchor thrown into central midfield.

He's the unbreakable wall between midfield and defence and the player who starts quick attacks with all sorts of passes or driving runs in his locker.

But hes played as a CM with no DM behind him.

We have 3 CMs and 4 if you count Doucoure and were misusing all of them.

He's the unbreakable wall between midfield and defence and the player who starts quick attacks with all sorts of passes or driving runs in his locker.

Well whether wrong or not, CM’s where he has been playing for us, and unless we remove Gana, sit him a deep lying DM, put Garner +1 in CM, he will continue to be more miss than hit. If the club does not want to play him there my point stands….we would be better selling him to raise funds to improve the team more generally (as long as funds become available for the team)….I imagine he probably goes in the summer anyway (whether we are relegated or not).

Can't say I have noticed this about his game. I only caught the second half yesterday and he barely registered, although I was probably too annoyed with Doucoure charging around like a headless chicken to notice him.

If Onana genuinely has these qualities he needs to start imposing himself on the opposition a lot more than has to date. I think it is too easy to blame the manager when individuals underperform.

This argument is put forward all the time in football but to be honest I just don't get it.
Every football club knows that when they employ a manager that the likelihood is the will eventually have to sack him.
Ideally they would love to keep him for over 10 years but football isn't like that so you have to be prepared to pay what ever it costs when the time comes.
I am not saying now is the time to sack Dyche but he is definitely underperforming and the alarm bells are starting to ring .We very nearly left it too late last year with Lampard we can't make that same mistake again.

I think in this instance we have bad cash flow problems as shown by what happened in the recent transfer window.

I mean the main unfortunate thing being won’t against Fulham and wolves were down to a striker - and that’s unforgivable but not down to dyche.

Beto plays those two and I’d be staggered if we didn’t win at least one of them.
Beto played against Doncaster and scored .
But the set up, tactics and performance were extremely poor.
His career record is second rate.
His tactics have always been limited
His teams have always struggled to score
His in game management is entirely absent.
I don’t think our poor start to the season can be totally ascribed to poor fortune.
His record since he arrived here has been poor and currently that trend is continuing.

This is a rather simplistic view I guess, but rather than it being one person’s fault vs another this is how I see it….

The club and Board of Directors are at fault because they are under performing (not sure about Thelwell)
Dyche and his coaching staff are at fault because they under performing (the quad isn’t great but he should be getting more out of them)
The players are at fault because they are under performing

There is literally no level in the club that’s punching its weight in terms of performance. We must be the only club where this level of failure is happening.

That’s where we are…it’s literally just apportioning who is more at fault than others….I principally blame the Board (or what is left of it) but Dyche should be getting more out of this team then he is and if I’m being honest, he has been a disappointment.

I think in this instance we have bad cash flow problems as shown by what happened in the recent transfer window.
There should always be money put to one side to cover for managers though, that's just standard practice. The manager could develop a medical issue for example and need to step down then we would be forced into a change. Then again all this involves having a plan and we are not very good at that sort thing are we.

The result is literally uncontrollable. All you can do is put yourself into the best possible position to win the game. Unfortunately, it’s clear you don’t understand that so I’ll probably end this interaction here.

And finally, this isn’t even true.

If you’re interested, here are the stats. I hope you find some level of comfort and even an increased understanding of coaching football within them:

Everton 0-1 Fulham
Shots 19-9
XG 2.96 - 1.54

Everton 0-1 Wolves
Shots 15-11
XG 1.90 - 1.40

Sheff Utd 2-2 Everton
Shots 13-16
XG 1.57 - 2.74
Respectfully, I’m afraid this is rubbish. Whilst it may be true of one off games, we are seeing a trend here here over a number of games, generally performances should be translating into performances, and they are not. We have been toothless however I am hoping the arrival of Beto, alongside the option of Chermiti, and the occasional option of DCL will change this. Dyche is entering into a critical period of his tenure, not least because of our current position in (r league, but because if he had any excuses due to no attacker, that is no longer an excuse he has. We need to start seeing results, and quite frankly the result yesterday was underwhelming. We needed 3 points.

He’s not a good manager? Based on what, managing teams that have the expectation of relegation every season and not only avoiding it, but exceeding expectation?

He managed on a shoestring budget at Burnley for years and achieved way more than he was expected or should have - I’d say that is a success in every aspect.

What did you expect him to do at Burnley for you to consider him a good manager based on his managerial career? Qualify for Europe and massively overachieve with limited funds, infrastructure far behind most of the league and a squad most tipped to be at the lower end of the table every year…. Oh wait, he did.

And the same question for what you expect of him at Everton. What would you like to see him do with our squad? With an owner and board like we have had? With FFP restrictions? What would be a success? Most would consider 15th a more than successful season which means we are going to lose a lot more games than we win.

Dyche gets an awful lot of criticism, and a lot of it is completely unwarranted. Would I like to see better football? Sure. Do I think we have the players for that? No. Lampard proved that with the style he tried to adopt.

You don’t have to score 3 every game and win all the time to be successful. He’s managing Everton, it is very much all relative - just like it was at Burnley.
I don’t agree or disagree with the post you are responding to, and I, like you have given some context to his past managerial performance based on the club he is with. What I would say, is clearly this sentiment must be shared by the Boards of other, bigger PL clubs, because despite the miracles that people think he worked at Burnley, they were never approached by those clubs for his services (at least to my knowledge).

I have to say, I know he has faced challenges, but the challenge he has faced is no greater than what Moyes faced when he first took over, trying to make an under performing team resurgent up the table with a limited budget. I thought he would perform more like Moyes. He has now also had a summer where he has been able to work with, and coach the playing staff, and whilst I accept he has not had a striker, he now has a strike force. He is running out of mileage if we continue to perform results wise the way we are. This next run of games, post international break, are in my opinion, critical to his survival.