2023/24 Sean Dyche

He didn’t buy any of them….

These lads have never been able to play football, that’s not on Dyche. Keane Coleman Gueye Doucoure Mykolenko DCL, none of them can handle a football properly at all. How do you get that lot playing free flowing attacking do it all? You can’t.
Dyche isn't suddenly going to buy players capable of playing attacking football or who's strengths are there on the ball ability. I bet he'll admit himself that his main strength in management is setting up teams to be 'hard to beat', he's very good at doing that for the most part. I do not expect this sudden shift to a attacking style.

Dyche likes the players you've listed, 'doucs' is going nowhere, mykolenko is defensively solid so that's more than good enough in a Dyche team, DCL hold up play is decent, gueye and coleman are 'model professionals' and Keane is now his 4th choice striker.

Though I'm Dyche in for now, he's earned it, I can't agree with the zero technical ability and there is a lot to be said for the style of coaching
Trusting the players to demonstrate ability by training with it would be the thing

They clearly don't and set up to play a certain way. Dyche has an MO and we just need to accept it tbh
Even very technical gifted players will lose it and be poor under pressure if they don't train on it

I would like to see an overlapping FB from time to time though
I appreciate they are not set up, possibly to get the most out of them, but for example, Godfrey played a pass yesterday in the first half to someone inside their final third, who was about 10 yards away….the ball went about two yards wide of the player and he then struggled to get back to catch the counter…a really poor pass and we see that far too often, not just from Godfrey. You’re correct that if Dyche isn’t working on that sort of thing then he bloody well should be. It does make you wonder what sort of drills they do in training. All I tend to see is a group of players in a circle passing small passes whilst someone is in the middle running around like a headless chicken…..that does bugger all, as it simply does not reflect the games as you say the way we are set up and the spaces between the players in a match.

It’s weird isn’t it, I’ve flip flopped on him all season, most acutely felt by winning four games in the spin then something like 15 with no wins, but overall, I think given the turbulence, he has done ok. I know people criticise his formations and attacking patterns of play and I get that, but when just isolate small snippets or passages of 0lay, some of these players have almost zero technical ability and struggle to even play a simple pass under pressure. Whether he should coaching them better in that regard is another matter, but he’s not blessed with the most technical squad.

I think we're in the dont know catergory.

Best ive got....

Talented squad and money? Def not for me.

Very little to work with and likelihood of no money? He's sort of the steady eddie needed.

Well we can’t blame him for stuff he hasn’t done yet.

All we have to go off is how he played at Burnley and 18 months at basket case Everton where most of the players aren’t his.

If he had the 13/14 squad and he had Stones leathering long diagonals at Mirallas’s head and he was keeping Deulofeu on the bench and playing Alacarz upfront so we could get 44 points, then I’d be alongside everyone criticising him at the moment for only playing a certain style.

Dyche’s style isn’t the limiting ceiling on the football we can play here though. Its the quality of the players, its an absolutely terrible squad and absolutely nowhere near the levels of the 13/14 squad which is what you need to challenge European places and consistently play good football.

The 04/05 squad didn’t play great football under Moyes but came 4th. Even that thought had players in Gravesen Cahill Osman Arteta who are miles and miles ahead of any player in this squad now. Osman and Arteta even as they are now in their 40s could probably outplay most of our midfield.

Some Everton fans massively overrate this squad. Outside of Pickford Branthwaite and Onana, no European team would want a single one of our players. They’re absolutely bang average at best. People still think it’s the Moyes/Martinez period when any club in Europe would have taken Stones Baines Coleman Arteta Pienaar Lukaku Mirallas Barkley Fellaini etc.

We’re nowhere nowhere near that. It’s a bottom half PL squad of some extremely average players.
I agree, it is a limited squad, but I'm not sure it's the best they can do either, maybe we'll never know
A lot of people say things like 'Pep would do terribly with an average squad' and who knows? his style would be limited but at least our players true technical ability would be tested.
but I also think Dyche wouldn't come close to winning the league with the City squad, but he'd finish higher than with us
know what i mean?

I appreciate they are not set up, possibly to get the most out of them, but for example, Godfrey played a pass yesterday in the first half to someone inside their final third, who was about 10 yards away….the ball went about two yards wide of the player and he then struggled to get back to catch the counter…a really poor pass and we see that far too often, not just from Godfrey. You’re correct that if Dyche isn’t working on that sort of thing then he bloody well should be. It does make you wonder what sort of drills they do in training. All I tend to see is a group of players in a circle passing small passes whilst someone is in the middle running around like a headless chicken…..that does bugger all, as it simply does not reflect the games as you say the way we are set up and the spaces between the players in a match.
I imagine he does a lot of defensive drills and set pieces because both of those are showing
He always talked about affecting both boxes, but its all about 2nd balls in the opposition box

By contrast Lampard couldn't affect either box but wanted better passing
I'd take Dyche on that comparison
but it's clear what is being worked on in training shows on the pitch, either performed well or badly, but it shows

….at this point in time I think Dyche is the club’s most valuable asset. I’d certainly be getting him on a new contract.

What would be the point of this right now?

I think the most likely scenario is he is bloody delighted to be Everton manager regardless of the issues he is dealing with, and he would not be thinking of leaving

Give it half a season and if we look comfortable I can understand whoever might actually make these decisions giving him a year extension at least to ensure he feels more stable and that we have the following season covered if we don’t have resources to start to make a real change to the squad and to our approach to the game

Year extension maximum at Xmas, keeps the payout low if somehow somebody competent takes us over and we have some ability to start our path to something better in summer 2025 under a different manager

There, decision made. Somebody tell him

(This all assumes he is not suddenly going to actually get us looking decent next season. Would be happily surprised if so. I’ll have same expectations as this season tho…..keep us up no matter what or how)

He didn’t buy any of them….

These lads have never been able to play football, that’s not on Dyche. Keane Coleman Gueye Doucoure Mykolenko DCL, none of them can handle a football properly at all. How do you get that lot playing free flowing attacking do it all? You can’t.
Remember all the rave notices for Garner when he first signed,steal of the century or some such phrases.

Remember all the rave notices for Garner when he first signed,steal of the century or some such phrases.

I like Garner and I’ll take him all day over the likes of Gomes Siggurdson Schendierlin Delph just walking around in midfield doing nothing

But this is a prime example of how perceptions of standards have dropped. Even at his best he’s absolutely nowhere near previous PL midfielders we’ve had like Arteta Osman Pienaar Gravesen Barkley McCarthy Fellaini Gueye (first time round). He’s probably not even as good as Phil Neville was when he first joined. He’ll be lucky to ever get an international cap for England. In my opinion he’s just an average hard working top of championship/bottom half of PL midfielder that you could out alongside Harry Winks Jack Colback Jay Spearing Jonjoe Shelvey etc.

The worrying thing is he’s probably our most consistent midfielder and possibly our most natural footballer, and that’s the entire problem with this squad.

I like Garner and I’ll take him all day over the likes of Gomes Siggurdson Schendierlin Delph just walking around in midfield doing nothing

But this is a prime example of how perceptions of standards have dropped. Even at his best he’s absolutely nowhere near previous PL midfielders we’ve had like Arteta Osman Pienaar Gravesen Barkley McCarthy Fellaini Gueye (first time round). He’s probably not even as good as Phil Neville was when he first joined. He’ll be lucky to ever get an international cap for England. In my opinion he’s just an average hard working top of championship/bottom half of PL midfielder that you could out alongside Harry Winks Jack Colback Jay Spearing Jonjoe Shelvey etc.

The worrying thing is he’s probably our most consistent midfielder and possibly our most natural footballer, and that’s the entire problem with this squad.
Correct
Give the man a coconut

Players from relegated clubs; Pickford Tarkowski, Keane, O'Neil, Harrison, Doucoure.
Has beens, Coleman, Gana.
Never will bes, Onana, Garner Mykelenko, Godfrey Beto, Dobbin
Strollers / bottle jobs, Gomes.
Sick notes who have to be nursed along, Calvert Lewin
No actual category as yet Danjuma, Chermiti